MOFI Miles Davis Vinyl Remasters discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Cassius, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

rob303 and George Blair like this.
  2. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Cool, "Jack Johnson" is a must-buy for me!

3. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

4. cuff

cuff Forum Resident

Personally, I don't find the mfsl milsestones all that enthralling. Looking forward to nefertiti.

honestabe316 likes this.
  5. mikeburns

mikeburns Forum Resident

Wow all my christmas's at once! So happy to see both Filles and Jack Johnson! These two along with Kind of Blue will bring my Miles collection up to 7 albums, all mofi! Stoked.

6. Gabe Walters

May I recommend In Person Friday and Saturday Nights at the Blackhawk (Impex); E.S.P. (Impex); and Miles Smiles (Speakers Corner). All analogue, each from the original master tapes, and just as good as the MoFi releases.

Also check out the Sony Legacy mono reissues, which are allegedly digitally sourced, but cut by Ryan Smith (Kind of Blue) and Kevin Gray (the other eight). Excellent records, all.

Of the MoFi reissues, I have Four and More, In a Silent Way, and Bitches Brew. Great stuff!

7. Josquin des Prez

These are essential for collectors of Miles on analog vinyl.

I also have and recommend the AP 45s of "Someday My Prince Will Come" and "Seven Steps To Heaven," as well as the AP 33s from the Prestige Mono series. All are worth having.

8. Gabe Walters

I played my Speakers Corner Miles Smiles back to back with my original Columbia stereo, and there was such little difference I sold the original because the reissue was cleaner.

9. Josquin des Prez

The Impex reissue of E.S.P. is excellent.

10. Gabe Walters

Yes, the Impex reissue of E.S.P. blows the original away.

11. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

I'm reeling a bit at the steady dinging of the MoFi mono vinyl Milestones in this thread. This AAA LP sounds flawless to me. If the digital-sourced Sony mono sounds significantly better, it must be truly astounding, but I don't feel moved to investigate because the MoFi is pure heaven to my ears.

I also wonder if there's a bit of a leap from reading what Mark Wilder had to say about utilizing the Milestones safety tape for the cleaner bass and possibly better alignment he heard in preparing the Sony mono, to concluding that the original master that MoFi used was somehow compromised or worn out or otherwise significantly flawed. Wilder certainly doesn't offer those criticisms in the interview.

joshm2286 and Dmann201 like this.
  12. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

Where's the interview?

13. Stone Turntable

RelayerNJ likes this.
  14. David Ellis

David Ellis Forum Resident

Can anybody give reviews of the MoFi Sorcerer, Nefertiti or Miles In The Sky? I believe they've been around a couple of months now and I was wondering whether to take the plunge.

15. Josquin des Prez

They have not been released yet.

16. David Ellis

David Ellis Forum Resident

Thanks. My dealer has them down as released on 1st April. Obviously an error.

17. Josquin des Prez

18. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Man... I just finished listening to the 40th anniversary LP of Bitches Brew on vinyl for the first time... actually something I purchased from my friend Gabe who posted earlier in this thread. Holy crap, this sounds great. I just spent over 90 minutes listening to this album, and I find myself wishing it would go on for another few hours. I can't say that about most albums... many times I'm up after a side, or a few songs, but this one is truly captivating.

If the MFSL might top this, I feel like I have to give it a shot. Although I'll end up tempted by many more titles, I'm sure. Dammit.

19. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

It's a great set. I don't think you need to look any further for a better one.

mikeyt likes this.
  20. mikeburns

mikeburns Forum Resident

Yeah apparently the 40th and MOFI are fairly equal just slightly different top end and overall tone. I would say not to worry about the mofi if you have the 40th already, but in saying that I absolutely love my MOFI Bitches Brew. It is great.

21. Gabe Walters

Glad you like it!

johnnypaddock likes this.
  22. Manelus

Manelus Forum Resident

I can't compare to the 40th Ann., but I can say MFSL ed. sounds great!

mikeburns likes this.
  23. Stone Turntable

Sorry, it's against forum rules to say that two releases of the same album are more or less equally great. One must “blow away” the other. :agree:

24. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

25. Satchidananda

Satchidananda Forum Resident

joshm2286 likes this.