MOFI Studiodeck

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Kevin M, Jul 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kevin M

Kevin M Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Here's a demo of my MOFI Studiodeck turntable with the studio tracker cartridge.
    It sounds good out of the box with very heavy bass and extremely clear and loud vocals.
    The drum dynamics are good but could be better, i'm hoping additional break in resolves that. To date I only have about five hours on this table.

2. Helom

Helom Forum member

Thanks for the posting this.

On a side note, do you notice any distortion issues on that LP? UTTAD LP is a mess.

What Phono stage are you using?

Heckto35 likes this.
  3. Old Audiophool

Old Audiophool Forum Resident

Good looking system. The only question I have is how is the sound with all that hardwood floor?

Keep them spinning,
    Bill

4. Kevin M

Hi Helom, no distortion to speak of on the Crash LP, it sounds incredible. That's too bad about UTTAD that was on my list. I wonder who mastered that one, I doubt it was by Grundman.

Thanks Bill. I'm happy with the gear I have but yes, my listening space is not properly treated yet.

5. juno6000

juno6000 Forum Resident

Can these tables use an electronic speed controller? That is a must for me.

6. Kevin M

I assume so, I believe most TT can but I'm not an expert so I would contact MOFI just to be sure

7. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Great looking rig and nice sound!

8. needlestein

needlestein GrooveTickler

I have both of these LPs. UTTAD is definitely about the worst album I can think of for sibilance. Good news is that both Crash and Away From the World are excellent.

Annoying tidbit: I went to download my free UTTAD file four days ago. My access code is 16 digits but the access code field only allows 15 digits. Customer Service is slow. Still awaiting a resolution.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
    displayname and Helom like this.
  9. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

I REALLY look forward to reading/hearing about these tables. Maybe it's the Allen Perkins connection, maybe just that it's a new kid on the block. Or maybe it's the "blank canvas" aspect, with both table and cart yet to establish identities. So get out there, you early adopters, and start describing and arguing about these things!

10. Kevin M

Recstar, thank you I'm very happy with my setup. Next step will be room treatments

SpeedMorris, I'm surprised the lack of reviews on these. There was a lot of hype due to the Perkins involvement and so far I think I'm the only one to post anything regarding them.

displayname likes this.
  11. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

Purchased the studio Tracker Cartridge for a TT in my family room rig. Basically a home theater system with a Music Hall MMF-2.1 TT with a Musical Surroundings Phonomena II+ going through a Yamaha Aventage Home Theater. Cart out the box has lots of bass....she has about 3 hours on her and I can say for $200 its a very good cartridge. Well worth the money in its price range! If anyone is looking for a nice dynamic balanced cart within this class...this has to be on your list for sure. This is a very musical cart. Kinda hard to believe you get this level of enjoyment for only $200.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  12. Slippers-on

Have about 3 hours on the cartridge and if its going to evolve any more, i'm in for one heck of a surprise because what I'm hearing now is outstanding at its price point. The sound is clear, transparent, balance....no color added, emotional and romantic depending on the muisc. This is far from a cold experience. It has a nice bass response as well as a very nice treble response. No semblance or surface noise (all my records are cleaned) and the back ground is very silent. You can also hear what's going on in the mids equally as good. It throws off a very nice sound stage with 3d effects as well. The overall sound is neutral and the cart doesn't bring attention to its self. This is a very enjoyable cartridge. Now this is the entry level cart made by MoFi....they have 2 more carts up the chain...they must be some killer cartridges and must be some knock out carts because I can say with confidence the Studio tracker kills my 2m red as it should at $200 and it kills the 2m Blue and I'd say its just as good as my Denon DL-301MK2 as well as coming very close to the 2M Bronze but not as refined as the 2M Bronze...but like I said, only about 3 hours on her so far...time will tell.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
    bluemooze, displayname and amgradmd like this.
  13. Slippers-on

Yeah...its evolving....I can tell....female voices and strings are outstanding for the money paid.....I wont be surprised to see this cart go up in price once it starts to take off...at $200 its a hell of a deal from what I'm hearing. IF you like the way MoFi records sound.....that's whats seem to be coming through with the way this cart is tuned. Real MoFi!

Heckto35, bluemooze and displayname like this.
  14. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

Thanks for all the details! Really great info, and I appreciate the comparisons to the 2M series. That was going to be my first question.

Now if only we can get some direct comparisons on the tables to the P3/P6!

Heckto35 likes this.
  15. Slippers-on

Been listing for a few days now to the Studio Tracker. I did get out my set up tools and test record and got her set up as good as it gets....and she tracks wonderfully.....I will even say, it leaves the 2M Red and Blue and Bronze and Black in the dust as far as tracking is concerned. Its a different cart from the 2M Red as well as the Blue. This cart seems to give a lot of inner detail than expected at such price. Its a very emotional and involving presentation. Meaning it seems to draw the listener, at least me, into the music in a way that just has that "boogie feel" to it while not drawing attention to its self. Its very musical, emotional and has that even presentation as not to stand out like some carts do....Its clear, transparent well defined mids. Nothing in your face...not saying the 2M Red and Blue has all those things but yet this presentation has a more natural and real feel to the presentation...I believe more so than the 2M lower series of carts....noting is really sounding fake so far. One thing I did notice...on some older records its just bla...boring, its not going to fake a sound to make some of the old records sound like they are hi rez or something....this cart is going to give it to you just the way its laid down. Good clean sound to it...especially on clean records.....if you are use to buying MoFi vinyl, you sort of know the sound of this cart and how clean it can sound. I believe "Studio Tracker" is a great name for it. Don't think all you old records are going to sound like things are popping when they really aren't. But well recorded records are going to sound like it.

One thing I don't like about this cart, you have to be very carful sweeping the cart from back to front as the entire stylus seems to sits back a bit from the front of the carts body....so when sweeping, be extra carful to get a good look at what you're doing.

Listen Folks.....If some one is thinking they want a lot of bang for buck cartridge, I believe this is for you. I believe you get a lot for your money with the Studio Tracker at $200.

Once again...I'm running her on an Old Music Hall MMF-2.1, with fixed phono cables....into a Musical Surroundings Phonomena ll+ phono amp....., Synergistic Research Core interconnects from the Phono amp into a Yamaha Aventage Home Theater in 2 Channel mode out through a entry level pair of Analysis Plus Oval 1 speaker cables, to a pair of Paradigm Monitor 7v3 speakers, 14 years old And now listening to a re-mastered180G copy of Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On" and 180G copy of Chet Baker and Bill Evans "Alone Together" up next!

This cart sound realy nice....just think what a dedicated amp/preamp or integrated amp will do for the Studio Tracker? This is a great buy, and this is only the entry level. MoFi has a winner!

16. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

Thank you for your in-depth review and evaluation! Sounds like a winner. I hope we get more input and reviews as others purchase these decks and cartridges.

displayname likes this.
  17. Slippers-on

Yeah the MoFi gear is new on the market. One note id like to add....the phono amp is really in a different price class than the cart but is really great with this cart at the same time. But the same can be said of the Creek phono stage I was using with the 2M red and 2M Bronze, but those two carts are totally different in what they bring to the listening experience in my opinion....I like this one better than the Red and Blue. The Bronze and Black offer more of a listening experience as they should at their price points, but thats not to say the Studio Track is far behind those two because its not....as I said in my evaluation im using an older Music Hall entry level TT through a home theater amp in analog pure direct mode. The phono amp is dead quite in the back ground and is really an outstanding piece of kit in its own right. So I wouldnt know how this carts sound with a more of a budget phono stage.

bluemooze, displayname and DonnyMe like this.
  18. Slippers-on

Carts running in nicely! Supper silent, tho the Phono amp probably has something to do with that...and it has excellent separation between the instruments, especially left and right seperation, I suspect that's because of the dual mono design of the Cartridge. Just cant beat what I'm hearing at thos price point of $200.

bluemooze, displayname and DonnyMe like this.
  19. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

Thanks for the update Slippers-on. Steady as she goes. I'm hopeful that we will hear from others who come to the same conclusions. I'm surprised there hasn't been any reviews from the major audio reviewers. Curious how the rest of their equipment measures up.

displayname and Slippers-on like this.
  20. olschl

olschl Forum Resident

Has anyone heard the MoFi phono stage yet?

21. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

displayname likes this.
  22. tdogzthmn

tdogzthmn Active Member

How's the build quality of the Mofi Deck compared to other tables of the same price? I still enjoy using my Technics 1210 but i've been thinking about building a secondary system.

23. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Any particular reason you're unable to do this? :)

24. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

1100/2000 of them.:winkgrin:

juno6000, bluemooze and displayname like this.
  25. PoeRaider

PoeRaider Forum Resident

Thanks Kevin for your review. I've been thinking about picking up another table for a different system, and I'm torn between the Studiodeck and a Planar6. Your comments about drum dynamics maybe being a little lacking is concerning, since the reason I am buying another table is too replace a Technics 1200mk2. A solid table, but the lack of liveliness to the drums and music in general is why I am replacing it. It has no 'bounce' or air to the sound, although in every other way it is close to perfect. But this is a big negative for my taste.

I am leaning towards a Planar6 at this point. Reviews of the Studiodeck are still elusive, and I know Rega has the airy sound that I am looking for.

I'm surprised I still can't find more Studiodeck reviews, considering the parties involved and the amazing pricepoint.

Anyone else purchased one and have any comments?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.