Mojo’s best albums of 2017 - numbers 25–1:

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, Nov 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 7MusicFan6

7MusicFan6 Forum Resident

I kept scrolling expecting Wolf Alice to be number one, and they aren't even in the top 25 lol.

2. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident Thread Starter

3. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

1a. Overkill - The Grinding Wheel
    1b. DragonForce - Reaching Into Infinity
    3. Styx - The Mission

:)

I will list my final top 10 after U2's new album is released (the last album I am buying this year.)

I haven't listened to any of those albums on Mojo's list.

Edit:

I have the Roger Waters album and see it is in the 2nd 25 of Mojo's list. That album will be in my top 10, but haven't yet decided where.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  4. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

Watch for richierichie`s Top 50 albums of 2017, I`m an old git but am open to new stuff along with those who`ve been doing it for a little while. Before I post my Top 50 I`d better get compiling the votes for Top Album Of All Time. I`m going to post the results for that around Christmas/Holiday period, so don`t choke on yer turkey when you see this.

5. Nightfly68

Nightfly68 Forum Resident

I saw HGM open up for Dawes almost two years ago and they were phenomenal, as was Dawes.

6. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

Wow. I do not own even one of those from that list. That's gotta be a first.

That means I am officially old.

:mad:

7. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident Thread Starter

The way I look at it is that I have the rest of my life to listen to these albums. I don't have to hear them the year they were made.

bzfgt likes this.
  8. Andrew J

Andrew J Forum Resident

The Sleaford Mods are around 50, and most of their fans are middle aged.

9. sparkmeister

sparkmeister Forum Resident

Jane Weaver got my vote although I also bought St. Vincent, LCD, Thee Oh Sees and Laura Marling.

My favourite album though for 2017, which was not on the list was either Girl Ray or Novella (not be confused with Noveller).

Davey likes this.
  10. Bullis

Bullis Forum Resident

Not one for me

11. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

I've heard that the new Peter Perrett is good but I haven't really listened to it yet.

12. Davey

Davey NP: Jane Weaver ~ Love in Constant Spectacle (LP)

Jane Weaver and Aldous Harding would get my votes, both really nice records, Jane a seasoned English veteran in her mid 40s that began her solo career around the turn of the millennium, while Aldous hails from New Zealand and this is only her second record, but recorded in Bristol by John Parish and released on 4AD. Either one could get the top spot this year, though I do have some other favorites that may be above those two. I've listened a ton to Modern Kosmology, a really nice motorrific ride with lots of Stereolab and Broadcast and other earlier kosmische influences, she's got a great sound, there's been days when I played it over and over. The vinyl doesn't quite come alive like I wish it would, but still a very solid record.

Devilscucumber and sparkmeister like this.
  13. yohalfprice

yohalfprice Forum Resident

Funny, that's exactly my count (8). Only one I could pick out of a lineup is Aimee Mann and I don't think she's very, hmmm, good. Actually I do own something by The National but I cannot get through it in one sitting.

Duke Fame likes this.
  14. ToddH

ToddH Forum Resident

alvvays "antisocialites" is missing and so is Lorde's Melodrama. Both great records.

Machiventa and jalexander like this.
  15. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

...yes, young sprouts with a lot on their minds. :cool:

I gave them a shot when I was still living in NYC where their intensity might have been "in the pocket," but I couldn't get into it.

16. Giacomo Belbo

Giacomo Belbo Journalist for Rolling Stone 1976-1979

That's Mojo for you. They will make NME's list though. Same with Wolf Alice mentioned above. Mojo is very conservative overall.

BadJack likes this.
  17. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

I managed 8 from the top fifty which is a pretty good result in the rather childish competition I have with myself every year. Of those 8, Peasant by Richard Dawson is the only one I can see being regarded as a classic in the future. Peter Perrett would be my runner up from the list but I’ve more of less stopped listening to it already.

18. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Like: Marty Stuart "Way out west"

Gregg Allman "Southern Blood"

Anouar Brahem "Blue Maqams"

John Moreland "Big Bad Luv"

Oh well, at least they included Jason Isbell., which should be #1, IMHO. :cheers:

19. St. Vincent's Masseduction is tremendous. Kendrick Lamar, Thundercat, the Oh Sees, and a few others certainly rate quite well.

A Tribe Called Quest's LP came out last year. It was on my Top Ten list in 2016.

And LCD Soundsystem's American Dream as the top LP of the year? It reeks of that boring, obligatory, knee-jerk reaction that compels Rolling Stone to put a late-era Mick Jagger or Rolling Stones LP in the Top Two (likely because Wenner had a close working relationship with Jagger).

I like LCD, but that guy had his big retirement and send off already. This album felt unnecessary—and not up to LCD's high standards. This is the pioneering music of 2017?

Top 50? Sure. Number one? Give me a break. And haven't we already learned to stay away from LPs with the lame title of American Dream? (See CSNY)

Until Creem returns to list Deep Purple's latest as the album of the year,

Bill

Guy E and linclink like this.
  20. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

21. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

No Steven Wilson, no Fleet Foxes. in their Top 50?

what a load of cobblers!

Giacomo Belbo likes this.
  22. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

[​IMG]

My vote (with a close 2nd being Queens Of The Stone Age)

(That is a really weak Top 25 overall if you ask me; a lot of very mediocre albums in that 25...)

23. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

No Robert Plant "Carry Fire" in the 50 either

24. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I've only heard three of the top 25 list. Of those, I picked Thundercat - Drunk as my favorite. There are five or six from the list I want to hear though. Wolf Alice and Mac Demarco's albums are two of my favorites that didn't make the top 25.

Peace N. Love likes this.
  25. The big misses are Liam Gallagher's new solo album and Snow by Julia and Angus Stone. Those two albums deserve serious top ten status.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.