Moments in music when you realized that artist/band still "has it"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnnyQuest, Aug 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident Thread Starter

Many artists/bands go through artistic/commercial dry spells. Some bounce back and some don't.
    Name a song he/she/they released during a down and rough period of time in their career that proved they still had that magic.

By this time (1971) I expected Brian to be too far gone to even come up with anything as beautiful as this.
    I'm glad I was wrong. :love:

2. Doctor Jimmy

Doctor Jimmy From Bach to the Beach Boys

Bob Dylan - Brownsville Girl

Folknik and Regandron like this.
  3. JohnnyQuest

Rolling Stones - Streets of Love

David Bowie - The Buddha Of Suburbia

Stevie Wonder - With Each Beat of My Heart

The Byrds - Chestnut Mare

pablo fanques and Folknik like this.
  4. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

Simon & Garfunkel - My Little Town

They had been broken up for 5 years when that song was released.

5. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

Killing Joke - everything they've done since Youth and Paul Ferguson rejoined in '08.

GodShifter and Yannick like this.
  6. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

For me it was when I heard Mysterious Ways by U2.

7. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Joe Cocker: Fire it Up

8. redfloatboat

redfloatboat Forum Resident

one time i can recall is when i played the queen lp 'innuendo' for the first time. not every song is great, most are average tbh. however there are two tracks which really shocked me at the time.
    the tracks are innuendo and i'm going slightly mad. innuendo in particular is as good as any queen song in their history.

Ash76 and DDTM like this.
  9. JohnnyQuest

T. Rex - Electric Slim & The Factory Hen

ruben lopez likes this.
  10. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

GREAT example.

Another one, for me, was the medley towards the end of McCartney's "Memory Almost Full," particularly "Feet In the Clouds." In that, I saw the guy who broke all of those barriers in the '60s, confidently reasserting his brilliance.

Folknik and JohnnyQuest like this.
  11. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Dandy In The Underworld was the best T Rex album since Tanx. It really felt like he was starting to get it back together again...

Mind you, New York City from 1975 is pretty great too.

Turbo2k and JohnnyQuest like this.
  12. JohnnyQuest

Marc's albums after Tanx are damn near unlistenable. :cry: He had a few songs that were decent like The Groover and Light of Love but everything else was painful to my ears.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  13. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

When Mike Love first heard it, he laughed and said, "What a ****ing downer!" I'm glad Brian stuck to his guns this time and put it on the album anyway. A Beautifully spiritual song.

JohnnyQuest and RickH like this.
  14. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

McCartney does it again and again, most notably on many of the songs on Flaming Pie and New.

worldwidewarhol and Bobby Morrow like this.
  15. BongRattlingBass

BongRattlingBass Forum Resident

Steve Winwood's "About Time" released in the summer of 2003. Seeing him live for that tour made me realize his was still the top of the heap.

pablo fanques likes this.
  16. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Agreed. His albums may be inconsistent, but there are often flashes of brilliance.

RickH and Folknik like this.
  17. Thwacko

Thwacko Forum Resident

I'm not as crazy about Innuendo as some fans, but you are right, Innuendo and I'm Going Slightly Mad are fantastic, and I would add The Show Must Go On to the list. All three are essential in the Queen catalog.

18. Aghast of Ithaca

Aghast of Ithaca Forum Resident

Well, he 'came up with it' in 1966. The recording was finished by Carl Wilson and others in 1971.

JohnnyQuest and wayneklein like this.
  19. Bobby Morrow

I'm not saying they didn't 'still have it', but Sade's Lovers Rock from 2000 was one of their best albums and a lovely surprise. They disappear so long between albums I tend to forget about them!

JohnnyQuest and Cassiel like this.
  20. P(orF)

P(orF) Forum Resident

"Rockin' in the Free World" was a revelation. Reawakened, Neil went on to a solid decade of great new music.

21. Bobby Morrow

Elton John's Songs From The West Coast in 2001 was a great reminder of his talent too.

worldwidewarhol and wayneklein like this.
  22. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

When I saw Loggins & Messina reunion tour in 2005 and also James Gang reunion tour in 2006.

23. timlamp1

timlamp1 Forum Resident

The Damned-So Who's Paranoid (2008). Brings back the combination of the break neck speed fast punk energy of their debut Damned Damned Damned, & the sophisticated psychedelic progressive production of The Black Album & Strawberries. Dave Vanian has not lost his smooth vocal delivery over an almost 35 year period of time.

24. INSW

INSW Senior Member

Beat me to it. The SNL appearance was wild.

krock2009 likes this.
  25. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

Bob Dylan - Time Out Of Mind.
    Even though the Bob had returned to form with his previous two albums (albeit all covers), Good As I Been To You and World Gone Wrong, I doubt anyone was quite prepared for what came next. Easily his best work since Blood On The Tracks, some 22 years earlier, it's an incredible piece of work. No dud tracks, plenty of great ones, plus a handful of late-period Dylan classics. Not sure whether it's an actual comeback, because Bob never really went away, but it's definitely the first time in those 22 barren years that he reached his former - impossibly high - standards. That he followed it up with the equally brilliant Love And Theft is even more remarkable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.