Mondegreens that actually make the song better

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RayS, Sep 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower Thread Starter

Are there instances where the lyrics you misheard in a song actually make the song BETTER? More interesting, more evocative? The classic example would be Dylan's "Tangled Up in Blue", where "Split up on a dark sad night" is often misheard as "Split up on the docks that night", which is more evocative AND ties the song neatly to the next track on the album ("Simple Twist of Fate"), where the protagonist hunts for his lost love by the "waterfront docks".

I have two examples from my own experience, both coincidentally from CCR:

From "Proud Mary": I always interpreted "Pumped a lot of 'pane down in New Orleans" as "Pumped a lot of pain down in New Orleans". The actual lyrics are straight-forward (he was working in a job pumping propane), but the mistaken lyrics are more evocative and have a double-meaning - he was probably working a dead end job as a gas station attendant, and the whole experience depressed him.

From "Down on the Corner": I always heard "Willie goes into a dance and doubles on kazoo" as "When Willie goes into his dance, the devil's on the loose". Again, the straight-forward (correct) lyric replaced by something more evocative - Willie is such a talented dancer that he raises the Devil himself.

First person who doesn't actually pay attention to the point of the thread and starts posting mondegreens that DON'T improve song lyrics will be subjected to the comfy chair. Or double secret probation. Or both!

2. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

"Goddamn do I declare—have you seen the light?"

3. Slokes

Slokes Cruel But Fair

For years, I interpreted a lyric in R. E. M.'s "What's The Frequency, Kenneth" as "You are a shock of violent pain." The actual lyric is "You wore a shirt of violent green." I don't think either lyric makes much sense, Michael Stipe is being typically opaque and I'm being typically redundant ("violent pain" being of course much worse than "gentle pain") but at least my mangling of the lyric ties in somewhat better with the shredding guitar part you get right after.

theMess, DrBeatle and recklessczar like this.
  4. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

Diamond Dogs

The lyric:
    Crawling down the alley on your hands and knee/I'm sure you're not protected, for it's plain to see

What I thought:
    Crawling down the alley on your hands and knee/I'm sure you're not protected for his fantasy

My version is much seedier, so I think it fits better.

dkmonroe, Alexlotl, Spaceboy and 3 others like this.
  5. RayS

I'll take your lyric over his :) Not that I couldn't understand the lyrics, but I thought "Losing My Religion" was the story of a young man expressing Atheistic ideals and being forced to sit in the corner for it.

DrBeatle and Slokes like this.
  6. RayS

You 1, Bowie 0. :)

JediJoker, fallbreaks and OldSoul like this.
  7. RayS

Hmm. That might be better than the real line standing by itself, but doesn't make a lot of sense leading into the next few lines.

bzfgt, JediJoker and ianuaditis like this.
  8. drasil

drasil Former Resident

because of her unusual phrasing, for years I thought the line in Tori Amos' 'bells for her' was:

can't stop what's coming/can't stop what is already here
    instead of
    can't stop what's coming/can't stop what is on its way

I prefer my misunderstood lyric, which I think conveys the feeling of futility behind a dissolving friendship more powerfully.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
  9. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

The Daughters of Eve - "Help Me Boy".

The line "I need someone to comfort me" I hear as something else, unprintable here.

10. RayS

As Garrett Morris once said about the "objectionable" lyrics about Black women in "Some Girls" ... "Where ARE these women?" :)

11. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I guess you had to be there, nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more, say no more . . .

Truth is, tying the notion of "Seeing the Light" to traditional American symbols of Freedom and Rebellion does follow. And seeing as we're dealing with some of Robert Hunter's finest here, I'm sure the homonymous nature of "Like" and "Light" was not lost on the poet/lyricist.

12. RayS

Yes, I can see your point. Embracing the principles of the Founding Fathers might be considered "seeing the light". And who knows, the "light" might help roll away the dew.

ianuaditis and Robin L like this.
  13. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Furthur footnotes* from "The Annotated 'Uncle John's Band'" website, an early draft of the song including these lyrics:

Why wait in the dark for dawn
    (while) when the sun's still going down?
    Maybe I'll dust off your chair
    if you say you're comin' round
    Keep your place in line
    all things come in time
    Whoa-oh,all I need to know,
    (will) do these coals glow?

Would you carry me uphill
    back the way I carried you?
    Take me further, if you can,
    (You know) I'd do the same for you.
    Think this through with me,
    let me know your mind,
    Whoa-oh all I want to know is,
    Will you be kind?

Well now - I can hear
    The flutter of their wings,
    Standin' still on our little (not sure about that word) hill
    can you hear the sirens sing?
    Come hear U.J.B / playing to the tide etc.

http://artsites.ucsc.edu/GDead/AGDL/uncle.html

Ignatius and ianuaditis like this.
  14. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Senior Member

Dylan's Changing of the Guards:

She was torn between Jupiter and Apollo

I always thought it was... torn between Jupiter and the bottle....as if to imply heavy drinking

majorlance and Favre508 like this.
  15. RayS

The first thing that jumps out at me is the link to "Foolish Heart" some 20 years down the line -

Stoke the fires of paradise
    With coals from Hell to start

which itself could relate to the birth of the United States.

16. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

"Don't bring me down, Bruce."

Hell, I refuse to hear anything else. That line makes the song for me. "Grooss" my ass. :p

17. Slokes

Slokes Cruel But Fair

Here's the Straight Dope on that one: http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=118822

That ELO song had another line I long thought was "You're looking good just like you're sneaking the grass." I don't think it's necessarily an improvement over the actual line ("You're looking good just like a snake in the grass") but it makes for an interesting variation.

starfieldroad likes this.
  18. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

It bugged me that when a bunch of Doctor Who characters sang that song (in "Love and Monsters"), they made a point to obnoxiously pronounce "GGGRRROOOOOSSS".

19. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

The Byrds, "Get to You".

The real line: "Standing in the airport, I am waiting for a plane."

The line I heard: "Standing in the air, for I am waiting for a plane."

My line is MUCH better!

20. Zack

Zack Senior Member

Up to this very moment I thought the line was "the docks that night." And now it's gone forever. :cry:

21. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

I always thought "Radar Love" said "Brand new day is coming on strong." When a friend said Brenda Lee was in there, I thought HE had the great wrong lyric.

22. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

There was that Phil Collins hit in the 80's where I thought the chorus was "don't you lose my number, 'cause you're mine anyway."

Hammerpeg, DreamIsOver and Keith V like this.
  23. stingraex2000

stingraex2000 Forum Resident

On Cher's "Gypsies Tramps and Thieves" I always thought the lyrics went:

Gypsies, chimpanzees
    you hear it from the people of the town
    they call us gypsies, chimpanzees
    And every night all the men would come around
    and lay the monkey down!

I like my version better as everyone knows Gypsies are tramps and thieves, but pimping out a poor monkey for money every night, now that is sick. I can picture the men waiting in line for their turns and the poor monkey trying to take a head count wondering geez, how many tonight?

24. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Thanks for teaching me a new word, Ray.

25. Here's one I've mentioned in previous misheard lyrics threads - "Fly By Night" by Rush:

Actual lyric: "My ship isn't coming and I just can't pretend."
    What I heard: "The chickens are coming and I just can't pretend."

Much better this way! The meaning doesn't change much - ie, "my ship isn't coming in" vs. "the chickens are coming home to roost" - but my interpretation provides an opportunity to sort-of hear Geddy Lee sing about chickens that is not to be missed.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.