MONKEES - 2016 , what happened?? has Rhino let the fans and the band down?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by radickeyfan, Aug 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

Mine plays perfectly well.

2. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

Wow. I only read 1/3 of it and got frightened. You must really have a good life if this is what gets you so steamed.

3. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

We got a new Monkees album that was far better than anyone could have imagined in 2016. It's been a success on almost every level. Rhino & co. may have made some snafus here and there, but in the end, that's all the really matters, as far as I'm concerned.

4. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

You know what gets me steamed? Spending money on things that aren't exactly worth what I spent on them. Being lied to about what I'm spending my money on also gets me pretty steamed.

I rail on about these issues because I want as many people to know about them as humanly possible. Make no mistake about it: if you spent money on the Blu Ray box or a concert ticket this year, you were taken advantage of. Does that make you feel okay? Not me.

5. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

So the act of "trying" gets a blue ribbon from your camp? Interesting...

6. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

No, it's not a question of trying. It's a question of the finished product being strong. Not perfect, mind you, but better than most would have expected and better than many of their peers.

7. mrbobdobalina

mrbobdobalina Forum Resident

Well, i spent money on a concert ticket, and I couldn't give a rat's behind about a download. I did not feel taken advantage of at all.

BeatleStair and I333I like this.
  8. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

[​IMG]

:shh:

JuanTCB and boboquisp like this.
  9. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

Maybe you could have used the download to turn on a new fan. You could have and should have gotten one. You were taken advantage of. You bought a ticket and they took your money. You only got the ticket, no download. It's easy.

xeplica likes this.
  10. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

I can't feel your pain personally, as I didn't buy the BD set. I purchased a ticket for the Pantages show months ago not giving a crap about a lossy download. Damn glad I did, too.

JuanTCB and mrbobdobalina like this.
  11. mrbobdobalina

Dude, you don't get it. I DON'T DO DOWNLOADS. The download was NOT EVER a factor in my deciding whether or not to buy a ticket. I didn't even know there was a download until I read your ceaseless griping about not getting it! C'mon man -- not everybody feels the same way you do, dig?

12. swedwards1960

swedwards1960 Forum Resident

Is it possible to disagree without being an apologist? I feel quite confident that I can like much of the audio and video product, as well as the concert without having been brainwashed to do so. And, yes, I am aware of the packaging problems with the Blu-Ray set and some other issues, but feel that on balance there is more to like than not like.

13. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

Out of fear of poking the bear, which content that was promised did not make it to the blu-Ray set?

14. GreenGringo

GreenGringo Well-Known Member

Everybody with a dissenting opinion needs to learn that fact-based criticism is "total speculation and BS" when it comes to Monkees fans, and there is no point in trying to convince them that they actually deserve their money's worth (or at least what they were promised). The more they gush, the archivists get lazier and the product gets crappier, and they will never change.

wiseblood likes this.
  15. mrbobdobalina

All I was trying to say is that I bought tickets to the concert because I wanted to see the Monkees, not for some crappy download. I kind of got my back up a little bit when i was told "you were taken advantage of".

16. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

I seem to remember these:
    12 seconds from 33 1/3 TV special removed to to the rights owner refusing permission.
    A new commentary by Micky on one of the shows.
    The Johnny Cash Show clips that included Johnny singing with the Monkees.
    About 10 complete alternate soundtrack TV shows from the 1970 Saturday reruns (instead got only the alternate soundtrack romps-not the complete shows).
    Did I miss anything?

xeplica and Lost In The Flood like this.
  17. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Mmm...vitriol-tastic!

18. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

Lol, ain't that the truth

Danby Delight likes this.
  19. readr

readr Forum Resident

No, expecting a good bang for the buck is not above our expectations. Hi, Monkee audio collector here. It's totally fair to speak out when you feel you've been cheated. However, we have been soooo spoiled with a wealth of amazing releases, it hard to complain about a few sub par ones. The vinyl box missing albums or tracks seem legit, and the BluRay box falling apart seems fair. But, stuff like The Monkees Super Deluxe Box Set was well managed and cool. I see some concessions are being made to keep the SD box set campaign going (like the less glossy boxes and the abandoned companion 45's.) No other artist's back catalogue has been this covered. It's crazy deep. Andrew Sandoval is the champion of these collections, and a fan in charge of the decision making. Wouldn't be awesome if The Beatles had a superfan making release decisions at Apple.

The only Monkees release I felt underwhelmed by was the Cereal Box records this year. These would have been so much better had they just replicated the art but actually pressed these on vinyl. Oh well....I knew they were plastic and probably wouldn't sound great. Anyway, of the things I have bought this year, I'm quite happy with my CD box set, all my Good Times! CD's and vinyl, my RSD 45, and all my 7A products (I passed on the vinyl box....already have all the Rhino and Colgems vinyl I want or need) .

To Rhino's defense, they're swinging at a lot of pitches this year, sometimes they foul one off....they're not always going to hit homeruns. They're still going to put out a 3 CD anthology, a single CD/vinyl best off and, I expect, a pre-order for a MOTM Super Deluxe Box set. I also hear there's a Good Times! Deluxe version whispering in the wind.....maybe? That'd be cool. So, yeah, a lot of swings. I think most were hits, the new album was a homerun. Unreleased audio seems to always go over well. The BluRay, it's nice, but not essential for me....probably down the road as the sets get near sell out, I'll pick one up, hopefully at a slightly cheaper price. I will not buy any re-issued vinyl, regardless of pretty colors....don't need it. They all seem to be digital transfers to vinyl......yawn. Anyway, really enjoying this campaign....no complaints.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
  20. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

If you get this angry and upset about a band of 70 year olds that most of the population thought ceased to exist for the past 45 years, goodness knows how angry you would be faced with a real life catastrophe.
    For sure I wouldn't want to be within a five mile radius of you.

MerseyBeatle, Mazzy and I333I like this.
  21. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

It's very healthy of you to paint this internet stranger as crazy. Nice work. Did you take the idea from the guy a few posts back or is that your original thought?

22. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

Well, do you want it wrapped in a pretty bow and presented with a personal cupcake and a candle? You were sold a bill of goods that were not delivered. Whether or not you gave a crap about the download is a moot point. You should have been given the download. For those of us here, WE might not care, but some people do and your lackadaisical attitude toward Rhino doing the right thing is the worst thing for the fanbase. If we don't complain, things won't be presented in the correct manner in the future.

Ask those people that participated in the HDTracks debacle...

23. mrbobdobalina

You're obsessed, dude. In plain English once again, I wasn't sold a bill of goods. I neither have nor had any interest in a download. Why are you so upset that no one else is upset?!?

bob60 likes this.
  24. GreenGringo

GreenGringo Well-Known Member

Does anybody else find it sadly ironic that Monkees fans respond to negative opinions by getting angry and upset and attacking people, and then when the person reacts incredulously, they accuse him of getting angry and upset and attacking people?

Making a calm, gentle suggestion seems to be the most common way of deflecting the blame or passing the proverbial hot potato in these arguments. It's a transparent ploy to make the dissenter appear unhinged. Several posters specialize in this technique.

And being told that you are childish and petty because you are unhappy about wasting money is always a good one too. It must be nice to have extra cash that you can throw around needlessly on substandard products. We must be "obsessed".

25. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

Did I miss something, or is there some reason that (at least) the 1st 2 Monkees LPs haven't been reissued in mono? That's how a lot of us heard them when we were kids when the LPs came out. At the very least a comp of the singles in mono should exist for those of us who heard them on the radio (and there was no AM stereo then).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.