Mono? Stereo? Remix?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Grant, Aug 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me! Thread Starter

When it comes to our beloved oldies, which do you generally prefer? Do you want to hear a song presented in all of it's original glory, stereo, even if it does not match, or remixed for better stereo?

2. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Of course, "doesn't have to be exact" can mean different things. It could mean missing overdubs. Or the echo isn't *quite* spot on.

If the mono has important overdubs that the stereo doesn't have (or vice versa), I'd say go mono. However, if the stereo is "pretty much" like the mono, then I'd say go stereo.

For example, there's not really much different between the mono and stereo mixes of My Girl. In that case, I'd say "go stereo".

3. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Grant,

I voted for the first selection. This will be interesting! I will chime in as we go.

Bob

4. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

I would generally vote for option #1, I guess, by which I mean if several mixes were suspended over the proverbial volcano and I could only save one, I'd most likely go with the original single mix. But to my mind it needn't be an "either/or" proposition; in my collection, for instance, there's plenty of room for the original mono Pet Sounds and the stereo remix. I wouldn't dream of assigning the latter equal historical value to the former, but I enjoy 'em both. :)

5. vex

vex New Member

Mono recordings can be fun just because they are different. Yes, sometimes they are even better than their stereo counterparts. But generally, I prefer the original stereo mix... as long as it is real stereo.

6. snowman

snowman Forum Resident

Whenever I listen to a mono recording it doesn't sound like the band is in my room. It sounds like they're playing in the room next door.

7. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

I want it all!!!

Sometimes the original mono mix but if you can include everything and make a new stereo mix without the unintended distortions, I'm all for it. Must be done well!

8. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

It could be any of the options. Depends on the song and the recording.

9. Dave B

Dave B Senior Member

I voted for original mono mix as I assume we are talking about recordings that where originally released in mono. I prefer the original 45 mixes in most cases as this is the version that I heard on the radio and liked. However in the '70's with the growth of FM the LP versions of songs where the ones I heard. In that case I most often prefer the stereo version but not always. See it's too complicated for this simple poll Grant.:sigh:

10. When I was in High School in the mid 60’s, I listened to AM radio, and everything was in MONO. I am not sure if they played a real mono mix, or if they played a stereo recording that was transmitted in mono????? Plus, all of the music that was played at the “Sock Hops” I attended was in mono. Also, I only had a mono record player when I was in High School. So, I would like those songs to be in mono because the stereo recordings just don’t sound correct to me. When I graduated from High School, I bought a stereo record player, so I bought stereo LP’s. Those songs I would like to be in stereo.

What I would really want is a CD that has both the original stereo recording and the original mono recording on it. In any case, I hate remixed songs!!!!! The mix should remain the way it was when the recording was originally released.

11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I try to acquire both the Mono & Stereo mixes of all my favorites.:)

12. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Michael,

I do the same thing--when they are available!

Bob

13. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Ditto...plus any interesting remixes.

Regards,

14. RDK

RDK Active Member

There needs to be another option:

"It depends"

15. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

Yes - That'd be my choice.

16. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

Something we also have to keep in mind is that you can have the same mix in stereo and mono, and the mono may obscure some low level detail (echo, ambience etc) that is quite apparent in the stereo version.

This could make the stereo version "move" in a different manner than the mono. On the other hand, I'd rather hear the Gary Puckett & The Union Gap hits in mono. They sound much more cohesive. I don't like stereo versions where the instruments and voices are isolated from one another.

17. I don’t remember how the Union Gap sounds in mono ,but the mono mixes of The Rascals’ hits are much better than the stereo mixes. Some of the stereo mixes are just out and out strange.

18. petzi

petzi Forum Resident

I want the best mix. Whether that is an original stereo mix, or a remix, I don´t care. Whichever is better. Sometimes the original mix sucks. Of course my conception of a good mix is not exactly the same as that of a record company. So it is probably better to not mess with it and stick with the original mix.

I don´t like mono. I would only prefer that if the stereo mix really sucked and a remix was not possible.

19. petzi

petzi Forum Resident

Just had a look at the results... I think it is quite absurd to prefer an original mono mix over an original stereo mix, when both match the hit single....

20. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead

Mono/Stereo/Remix. I prefer stereo but I vote for the best sounding as long as it's the hit version. I disagree with Steve's philosophy of not remixing an inferior original mix (I think he has stated that) but that's my opinion and Steve's persnogatiff. :)

Love the sound when the vocals are centered.

21. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me! Thread Starter

Pezi, I goofed. I should have allowed multiple options. Even I would vote for both mono original and stereo, if it matched the hit mix.

ONE example of a stereo remix that I do like is "Hang On Sloopy" by the McCoys. The new mix sounds *EXACTLY* like the 45 mono mix without the tape dropouts and distortion. The stereo spread isn't wide but there is seperation that is perfect for my taste.

But it is still a mattrer of opinion of whether "My Girl", as on the Cooley High CD matches the mono single.

22. Bob Olhsson

Bob Olhsson Motown Legend

If it's prior to 1970 and there was a lot of over-dubbing done, you probably want to at least check out the final mono radio mix. I can guarantee that at least ten times as much effort went into that than went into the stereo. In some cases where a natural ensemble recording was made, the stereo can be better BECAUSE ten times as much effort went into the mono version!

23. Rob LoVerde

Rob LoVerde New Member

I have two sides to my "audio personality":

The audiophile side wants whatever sounds BEST! Mono, stereo, remix...whatever. The more it sounds like real live music, the better...

HOWEVER...the purist side of me wants to hear what was done ORIGINALLY! A perfect example of this is "Beatles For Sale". I firmly believe that the stereo absolutely kills the mono. It satisfies the "audiophile" in me...

But the mono is what mattered THEN. And I must at least acknowledge that. That satisfies the purist in me...

Now where'd I put my therapists' card? ;^)

24. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Then we have the best of both worlds.:)

25. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

True, true!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.