Mono? Stereo? Remix?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Grant, Aug 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dwmann

dwmann Well-Known Member

Prior to the early seventies I'd prefer the original mono hit single. Although there are some stereo mixes from this period that are quite good, in most cases they DON'T sound like what I heard and loved on the radio. The only exception to this rule would be if the stereo mix is very close to the original mono and the original mono masters have serious problems or are missing.

After 1971 or so, I'd rather hear the stereo LP mix, because that's what I listened to during that period. Forget the single mix altogether. I rarely heard one.

As for remixes, I'm totally opposed, unless the original tapes are gone, and the remastering is handled by someone who cares about his work as much as Seve does AND has plenty of time to try to duplicate the original. In most cases I'd prefer a second generation master to a remix. It's impossible to duplicate the original mix exactly no matter HOW good you are.

I'm also firmly opposed to colorization of film.

2. RDK

RDK Active Member

I ended up voting for "Original stereo mix-it doesn't have to be exact."

I have nothing against mono, like the fact that Rhino (for example) releases much in mono that might otherwise never be released that way, and often prefer the mono to the stereo versions. In most cases, I'd prefer whichever version sounded better. But all else being equal I'd take a good stereo mix over a mono mix most of the time. And unless a song is drastically different (which I realize is a subjective standard) I usually don't notice any differences unless I'm actively listening for them.

Ray

3. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Bob,

Thanks for the insight from someone who was there!

Bob

4. petzi

petzi Forum Resident

Less is more, sometimes...;)

5. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me! Thread Starter

Bob, there have been many post-1970 mono singles that do not match the 45 and were labored over. Recall "Joy To The World" by the Three Dog Night, Want Ads" by the Honey Cone, or "Ball Of Confusion (That's What The World Is Today)" by the Temptations?

6. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

It's all about historical accuracy...whichever way a single was released is the way to go IMO. I'm vehemently against remixing, UNLESS it really must be done as on the first three Simon & Garfunkel albums...and only when every effort is made to make the remix as much of a mirror image of the original mix as humanly possible. Guess I'm a little conservative about this!

7. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

Got to go stereo. Or we might as well go back to AM radio. Since we have technology, let's use it, but pay great respect to the original.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.