Mono White Album on Compact Disc

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tyler, Mar 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. naZri

naZri New Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll consider that.

Nazri

2. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

This has been commented on quite well by my fellow forum members. To weigh in here in MHO, you could almost liken it to an encyclopedia of musical styles. 1920's music (Honey Pie); Blues (Yer Blues); Country (Rocky Raccoon; Latino (of sorts) Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da. It is also like solo albums combined into one. More so than the albums that came before it, you can tell who wrote the song by who sang it. And two studios were in use at the same with John in one, Paul in the other.

I like the current CD. It's ok. But too much hiss on Martha My Dear.

Brian

:)

3. Sound

Sound Member

Thanks John,

I bet EMI, MFSL, George Harrison, Ringo Starr, John Lennon, Paul McCartney, (or their estates) and all the many others that were ripped off really appreciate your backing of the 100% illegal and totally immoral, counterfeit releases.

And of course we true fans are thrilled also. Now we may never get a decent release so you can enjoy your fraudulent cd's.
    Plus we believe that EMI and the actual Beatles own the rights.
    Not John Carsell.

Enjoy!

And thanks for supporting The Beatles.
    Sheesh!

Anyone that supports these counterfeits knowingly is doing a huge disservice to this planet.

If you sell them, or push them. You are much worse.
    The world would be a better place if you were prosecuted for your illegal, immoral activities.
    Then maybe you would understand regret.

Now THAT's thread crapping!

dennis (would rather see John Lennon's estate reap the benefits of their labors, not John Carsell's - but hey, that's just me.)

4. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Didn't Capitol release all Beatles on reel here in the U.s. at 3-3/4ips? Or better yet, were reels released in other countries at 7-1/2ips?

5. cliff barua

cliff barua New Member

Ah, Dennis, so would all of us :) . But let's not be so hard on John Carsell, he is far from being alone.

Now, Dennis, preach as you may (to each their own), but I think I speak for every Beatle fanatic on this Forum in saying that I would rush out immediately and buy up Beatles reissues of surround, remastered, mono, SACD and DVD-A if they were available. The Beatles are the biggest "cash cow" of almost any product on the planet. The living members and their estates have failed to see this (I'm frankly quite surprised with Paul, who has rightfully started to milk his Beatle legacy for all it's worth). It is generally agreed that the Beatle catalogue is the worst handled of any major artist. No theft is justifiable but the Beatles themselves have been complicit in creating this underground market. For how it can be done right (or at least better), see Jimi Hendrix, The Who, Rolling Stones, Led Zepellin, etc, etc.

So, while you may have the logic of legaility and morality supporting your argument, you have failed to acknowledge the reality. I, too, have all of these counterfeit recordings but if they ever make them available legitimately, I'm here to buy them. Unfortunately, the Beatles and their handlers are too short-sighted to see this (and no, I'm not going to pay massive dollars on eBay for original vinyl - I don't think the Beatles make any money there either).

Cliff

6. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Dennis,

In all fairness, aren't you being a little hard on John Carsell. Even John Lennon collected boots and traded... :)

Todd

7. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hi,

IMO, this is the key to what John wrote. Life is very very short so we can either enjoy these incredible mono tapes of some of the best music ever made (while sometimes taking crap from Dennis :) ) or we can risk going thru life without ever having this experience.

Just Another View,
    Jeffrey :)

8. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

dennis, me too. Could you please contact Yoko and the rest and let them know we want these released in mono?

mud-:D

PS - I don't believe Mr. Carsell has anything to do with "reaping the benefits." Just wanna make that clear.

9. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

You can't reap the benefits if you don't have the product available. Until then there's not a viable choice. Lot's of people don't have turntables or the money to buy a mono Beatles album. But I'd bet just about all of us that have bought a "grey market" version would buy a legitimate copy. So there is no real money loss to anyone. IMHO.

10. Jeffrey

Hey Mud,

I'm not sure that is true. I heard John Carsell used to have a $10 million house in Florida.......... then again, maybe that was John Lennon. :confused:

-Jeffrey

11. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Geez, we are getting our "Johns" mixed up again.

mud-:D

12. Jeffrey

Hey Mud,

Yesiree! :agree: That'll teach 'em for giving us the keys to the executive washroom! :D

-Jeffrey

13. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

Sorry to get back to the sound of mono white cds, but here's what I know.

I have two transfers of this, one is a Dr Ebetts the other is a home brew from a mint Japanese mono reissue without artwork. The Dr. E has been tweaked and is impossible to listen to loud. The transfer from the mono vinyl sounds awesome (in other words sounds like the vinyl, no tweaking).

By the way, I didn't pay for either of these, therefore I have not taken any candy from a starving Beatle. However, the Beatles have decided to make these recordings (mono mixes) of some of their best mono albums unavailable to their biggest fans... too bad. And once again thank god for the bootleggers who do let the fans hear what the Beatles originally thought was their best work.

14. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Sorry to butt in, people.

If you tend on talking about ROIR releases, you can talk about it, but please no preaching. It really gets people into heated discussions that tear on people.

You may talk about this subject, but I would seriously tone it down. Keep it fun and informative. If you need to express yourselves in other ways, or have questions, please PM a Gort.

Carry on nicely.

15. IIRC, Capitol released all the albums at 3 3/4 ips. Maybe Revolver was also released at 7 1/2. Then in 1970 Capitol farmed out their reel to reels to Ampex who reissued all the U.S. Beatles LPs on reel to reel tape at 7 1/2. Help! was never issued on reel to reel until Ampex took over the mastering.

Rare Beatles com (Mitch McGeary and Perry Cox) has a good page of information on the reel to reel tape releases.

Here is an excerpt.

"Until mid-1969, Capitol manufactured their own tapes. By the time Abbey Road was released, Capitol had sub-contracted the tape manufacturing to Ampex Tapes, who produced tapes and packages for Capitol for many years hence. Capitol-manufactured reel tapes are usually found in brown boxes with the title/photo slicks adhered to them. The reels themselves may be clear transparent or pink opaque plastic. The pink opaque style for 7" tapes are the most common. All Capitol-manufactured tapes were recorded at the slower 3¾ ips speed, except for Revolver, which for some unknown reason was issued in both 3¾ ips and 7½ ips versions - the latter being one of the rarest of all Beatles reel tapes..."

Attached Files:

16. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

A reminder, people:

FROM THE FORUM RULES:

Unacceptable Post Content

Please do not post any of the following type of content, it will be removed:

Links (or requests for links) to sites that sell (or trade or contain) bootlegs.

Trades/requests for CDRs of copyrighted material.

HOWEVER:

You can talk about the albums, they do exist in the world. You cannot talk about where to buy them or direct anyone to a bootleg site.

Okay?

If EMI doesn't want to release the White Album in mono and someone else does, illegally, I personally think it sucks big time. But I don't wish to stop anyone from discussing the SOUND QUALITY of a boot. Perhaps this will convince a real record company that there IS a market for the album. This is why I am letting this thread continue on the Forum.

17. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Steve, thank you for giving us a forum to discuss these matters. I also share the same hope that maybe record companies will see that many recordings they deem as unreleaseable/unmarketable, in actuality, do have a market.

18. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Per Steve, I put your comments back in, Sound. Thanks for your understanding.

19. Fortune

Fortune Senior Member

I have a CD of the mono White Album as well as the mono Revolver. Both sound pretty good to me. I forgot the label but both were 2 disc sets (White Album obviously) with the accompanying singles. White Album (Disc 1) had Lady Madonna, The Inner Light and an original undubbed take of Across The Universe starting before Back In The USSR. Disc 2 had Hey Jude and Revolution starting after Good Night. The sound is great.
    It's also nice to have te singles in their original mono form. I haven't bought the singles or EP box yet, though I'm tempted. If EMI released the original mono recordings I'd be the first to buy them, but for now these'll do.

20. Stateless

Stateless New Member

I have several of the Millenium Remasters on cdr with mono & stereo on one disc. I like them so much that I took the official discs any hid them away in the closet and use their jewel cases for the MR's! Rubber Soul in mono was a revelation to me because the only copy I ever had was the 87 Stereo remix. The White Album is interesting to hear in mono as well after so many years of listening to the stereo version. Actually, I enjoy the official 30th anniversary stereo CD as well. One of the few official CD's that I think does the Beatles justice...along with MMT & LIB. PM I & II are cool as well.

21. Fortune

Fortune Senior Member

During the "golden age" of Napster I managed to find most of the alternate versions of all the Beatles albums.

Stereo: PPM, WTB, AHDN, BFS, Help!, Rubber Soul
    Mono: Help!, Revolver, SPLHCB, MMT and the White Album

The only one I couldn't complete was the mono mix of Rubber Soul. I heard it's a revelation. I only have bits and pieces. I hate the 87 stereo remixes. I haven't listened to them since. Personally I think the stereo AHDN and the mono Pepper are both revelations.

By the way, the 30th Anniversary Issue of the White Album is the same version as the regular CD issue, sucks eh? At least the packaging is cool.

22. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member

I am sure all of the people who own Beatles bootlegs own all of the legit CDs and several records. I have all the Beatles stuff on legit release CD, several Lennon CDs, sometimes multiple copies. I support all The Beatles releases. As soon as they release the Beatles stuff on SACD hybrid I will buy it. Until that time, I have to buy the mono and stereo stuff on bootleg labels because they refuse to release it. To tell the truth, I dont even buy it, I just trade for it. No bootleggers made any money off of me. We do have to thank them for preserving The Beatles music though. Without them, we wouldnt have these original mixes. So when the new stuff is released in 5.1 and stereo, I will be there on day one, just like the other people on this forum. If they do a good job on the new releases, we will be happy. If they do a poor job, well, there are the bootlegs. I would be glad to pay The Beatles for mono/stereo/5.1 releases of their albums. When they refuse to release their material in the form we want, we have to look elsewhere. They arent losing any money from these bootlegs because this material isnt for sale, therefore, there is no money to be made. Ease off on the people who love The Beatles and want to buy the original mixes.

23. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I think everything has been said so I'm going to put her to bed (nice rhyme).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.