Monty Python & The Holy Grail - soundtrack

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rocker, Jan 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member Thread Starter

Could someone please post the tracklisting from the vinyl LP edition of the Monty Python & The Holy Grail soundtrack?
    (a.k.a. The Album of the Soundtrack of the Trailer of the Film of Monty Python and the Holy Grail) :D

Thanks!
    ;)

2. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

I can do it when I get home tonight around 11. Maybe someone else will chime in before that...

Nee!

3. saundr00

saundr00 Bobby

4. Raf

Raf Senior Member

You'll find different versions with different track titles. The one posted above is one variation, and here's another:

Introduction
    Introduction, Pt. 2
    Arrival At Castle
    Constitutional Peasants
    Witch Burning
    Logician
    Camelot
    Camelot Song
    Arthur and God
    Classic (Silbury Hill)
    French Castle
    Announcement
    Apology
    Story So Far
    Brave Sir Robin
    The Knights Who Say "Ni"
    Classic (Silbury Hill), Pt. 2
    Marilyn Monroe
    Sir Lancelot & Swamp
    Tim the Enchanter
    Drama Critic
    Hand Grenade of Antioch
    Announcement, Pt. 2
    End of Quest
    Arthur's Song
    Documentary - Terry Jones and Michael Palin
    Run Away Song

There is no difference in the actual contents, however, except that some versions contain "The Bridge of Death" and some don't. I haven't figured out the reason for these differences yet.

5. Skip Reynolds

Skip Reynolds Legend In His Own Mind

Exactly.

6. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

Was this the album that had two sets of grooves, so you didn't know what you would hear until the needle fell into one set or the other?

7. music4life

music4life Senior Member

A buddy of mine had that. I believe it was "Matching tie and handkerchef"

8. Raf

Raf Senior Member

No, that was Matching Tie and Handkerchief.

9. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

No, this was the one with the warning label on the back telling you that this record can only be played ONCE!!!!

Sadly, self-erasing vinyl technology never really progressed from that point as much as we might have liked. :D

10. Thomas Pugwash

Thomas Pugwash Forum Resident

or in other words 'orange water given bucket and plaster'.

I LOVE 'Matching tie.....'

Probably my favourite Python album and genius idea all rolled into one but I must say I do love my Python mini-calender with FREE EXTRA MONTH.....!! :laugh:

T.

11. Raf

Raf Senior Member

I did a bit of research and discovered the answer to the OP's question and the probable reason for the differences in track listings, which is that the original LP was unbanded and had only two tracks:

• The A Side Of The Album Of The Soundtrack Of The Trailer Of The Film Of Monty Python And The Holy Grail
    • The B Side Of The Album Of The Soundtrack Of The Trailer Of The Film Of Monty Python And The Holy Grail

The first couple of times the CD was issued, the CDs followed the LP format and contained only two long tracks. The appearance of the separate tracks (with different cue points and titles) occurred after the CD was remastered and reissued several times by different companies.

I'm still not sure why some CD editions contain "The Bridge of Death" and some don't, though.

12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

There's a good discussion on alt.fan.monty-python about where all the source music came from for Holy Grail. It was such a cheap movie, they just grabbed most of the tracks from library cues off DeWolfe. It's amazing, because the music now seems so appropriate.

Apparently, DeWolfe is going to issue some kind of Python tie-in CD that has the music for a lot of Python shows and films, which is a pretty funny idea.

13. Raf

Raf Senior Member

I just found out that some versions of the CD of Holy Grail have longer versions of two tracks: the argument between two sentries about swallows, and the French taunter scene. Again, I don't know the reason for these differences.

14. Raf

Raf Senior Member

15. madman

madman Forum Resident

And for those of you who are interested, here's a link to a zip file with photos of the album.

https://rcpt.yousendit.com/666136179/41722cd904505a36372da90bcbbdbc1c

In order, the photos are:
    -LP front (note "Executive Version" label on lower left hand corner. Is that on the CD?)

-Back of LP

-sticker explaining why the "Executive version" is so special. The cover is printed correctly, though.

-LP label for Side A

-3 pix of the vinyl itself, showing the banding (or lack thereof).

16. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Wow, I didn't know about a different version! :eek:

I've got the Virgin "Chattering Classics" issue and the EMI remaster and they both have the shorter version.

What is the label, catalog number and country of manufacture of the CD with the longer edit?

17. Raf

Raf Senior Member

Sorry for replying so late, but I just saw your question. I'd love to know the answer too, but unfortunately the longer versions came from a CDR copy that was made by someone whom I am no longer in touch with, and all that he said at the time he gave it to me was that it was copied from a CD released "around 1997". discogs.com doesn't seem to have any info on this particular CD edition.

For what it's worth, there are two versions of this album available in the US iTunes Store: (1) with the shorter versions of those two sketches, plus three bonus tracks, and (2) with longer versions of those two tracks plus the sketch "The Bridge of Death", but without the bonus tracks.

18. Raf

Raf Senior Member

And to make things even more confusing, the bonus CD that came with the latest DVD reissue of Holy Grail has the shorter versions, no "Bridge of Death", and no bonus tracks!

:confused:

19. Raf

Raf Senior Member

20. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

Do you know what the running times of these are? I'm unable to check the US Store versions, but the UK "side-long" tracks running times are the same as my Holy Grail CD, which is Virgin/Charisma CASCD 1103 (not "Chattering Classes") and does not contain the longer sketches.

Getting these longer tracks has now become my search for the Holy Grail (I thought I'd found it, but it was just a CD-shaped beacon).

21. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

i saw the movie the day it opened in new york city. there was ad in the paper saying that the first 1,000 folks would all get a free coconut. of course we had no idea what that was about having not seen the film. when we got there, there were already more than that on line. it was a twin theater but only showing in one so they got another print of the movie and started it in the other theater. at the end of the film, the whole python troupe were there handing out the coconuts. i got mine from john cleese. i also saw them live in the mid 70's in new york. spamalot was a lot of fun too even with no actual python members.

22. Raf

Raf Senior Member

Introduction to the Executive Edition 1:07
    Tour of the Classic Silbury Hill Theatre 0:12
    Live Broadcast from London: Premiere of the Film 3:56
    Narration from the Silbury Hill Gentlemen's Room / "You're Using Coconuts" 2:56
    Bring Out Your Dead 1:03
    King Arthur and the "Old Woman": A Lesson In Anarcho-Syndicalist Commune Living 2:57
    A Witch? 2:46
    A Lesson In Logic 2:51
    Camelot 1:34
    The Quest for the Holy Grail 1:11
    Live from the Parking Lot At the Silbury Theatre 1:01
    The Castle of Louis de Lombard: "A Strange Person" 2:25
    Bomb Scare 0:43
    Executive CD Edition Announcement 0:16
    Another Executive CD Edition Announcement 0:29
    The Story of the Film So Far 2:11
    The Tale of Sir Robin 1:54
    The Knights Who Say "Nee!" 2:34
    Interview With Filmmaker Carl French 2:38
    The Tale of Sir Lancelot: At Swamp Castle 4:08
    Tim, the Enchanter / A Shakespearean Critique 3:29
    A Foul-Tempered Rabbit 2:33
    The Bridge of Death 3:58
    Executive Edition Addendum 0:54
    The Castle Aaargh / The End 2:46

The MP3 download versions on amazon.com have the same running times:

http://www.amazon.com/Album-Soundtrack-Trailer-Monty-Python/dp/B001BIMYMC/ref=dm_cd_album_lnk

And this might be the CD version. It lists only 24 tracks ("Executive CD Edition Announcement" is missing), but hopefully that's just a clerical error in the listing. The preview of track 4 shows that it's the longer version. And it has a 1997 CD issue date:

http://www.amazon.com/Album-Soundtr...=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1239036307&sr=1-3

Oh, wicked, bad, naughty, evil Zoot! :winkgrin:

23. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Now THAT'S a cool story.

24. My apologies to the OP and all, but I was not sure if someone here might have a quick answer. And now for something completely different :)

I saw the original theatrical release of the MP/HG film, and swear by Zeus that there was a scene deleted from later copies. It involved the animated winter scenes. I remember one sequence where the knights ate their way across the land. The sequence in question featured feet sticking out of a tent, and the voices of women swooning, after which the announcer/narrator says "And then there was rejoicing in the land" or words to that effect.

Does anyone else recall that or am I thinking of a different MP film?

Cheers and thanks

Carlos

25. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

My friend's weird copy of the soundtrack album

My friend ordered his from the Columbia Record club, and it had side one on both sides. We figured, hmmm...this is the Executive Version? Funny joke, but rather cheap. We didn't realize until years later that there was a side two.
    OK OK, we were 12 at the time!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.