Moody Blues 2017 Reunion Tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Om, Oct 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

The obvious outlet would be to do a Maida Vale concert with the BBC. This has worked well with a number of big and lesser names. In UK it could be viewed on red button channel and I player with maybe a Blue Ray for world consumption.

Tristero likes this.
  2. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

Actually they added it prior to him leaving. I saw them in 1999 on the strange times tour and in 2001 on the hall of fame live album tour. The only differences were the first tour was with an orchestra and the second tour wasn't. Secondly, the only difference in the set was they replaced one of the Strange Times songs with The Actor. Can't remember which one. But Ray was still there at the time.

bRETT likes this.
  3. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Saw then in the 90s with local orchestra. Did the DOFP stuff. I really enjoyed the album live even more than the studio album. Thing comes alive, live. But Id also rather hear a new album from them. I miss Justins voice on new material, so unique. Rather I should say "good new material".

Jarleboy likes this.
  4. zen

zen Senior Member

Well that is good news. I hope they record a new album and it's followed by a few filmed concerts for DVD.

5. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

I've never seen them (which is hard for me to believe!) so maybe this'll be the one for me.

Om likes this.
  6. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

At this point I'll just wish they go on/continue with solo tour or a Bluejays tour. I did see Justin's solo tour a few weeks ago and it was very very good. Played deep cuts and new stuff, and mainly avoided the overplayed $h*t they're known for.

Om likes this.
  7. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I would like to see the Justin solo tour. I hope he keeps adding dates next year. I have probably seen the Moody Blues a dozen times so that would be different.

8. kath

kath Well-Known Member

i would love a chance to see pinder for once (and ray back.) i've seen the band live starting from the long distance voyager tour through a few years ago. (yeah, a dozen times sounds about right.)

they are a great band live. even though graeme is in a limited capacity, i still dig him up there. (so i go easy on him.) he has his moments, and at least every show i've been to, he seems to have a blast, with all the spoken bits, being graemey in general. i've never had one second of a bad time at a show. i've never been disappointed, either. justin and john are consistently strong. (justin in particular still *moves* me live. he has lost none of his effect, in singing or playing, in my book.) i think they've chosen very good workhorses for graeme and ray.

but to see pinder and ray back in the band? i hope i get the chance.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
    Jarleboy and Om like this.
  9. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

How many others would? Do you think that's commercially viable?

10. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

whats the beef w/ edge?

11. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

during the reunion for Octave, Pinder stated that he did not want to tour, and this came after he forced the band to record octave in Cali, Edge found the arrangements Pinder wanted to be unacceptable. Pinder and Edge had huge falling out

12. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

There was a specific event that occurred where Pinder, in a moment of frustration, downplayed Graeme's position in the band, something like him being "just a drummer". He didn't mean it but it drove a wedge between them. I don't know if they've buried the hatchet since or not.

Defrance likes this.
  13. I think there is a little bit more involved. The critical moment came when Pinder was involved in a serious discussion with the boys in the band, things got heated, Edge said something, and apparently Pinder retorted "You're only a drummer". In addition, they did record some at the California site, but they lost the studio, either to fire or landslide, I can't recall at the moment. Pinder did later try to "make amends" but alas.

14. MidnightRocks

MidnightRocks Forum Resident

I didn't exactly get the details but I think Edge was recently involved in some minor "scandal" involving a lady in a public place or a car or something and Pinder's comment was that "it couldn't happen to a nicer person". So, they might not have forgiven and forgotten yet.

15. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

Kinda sad. Tripping, getting seasick, then getting thrown overboard.
    The end ... oh, it's harsh.

:laugh:

16. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

They came thru town last year and they are still underrated in the rhythm section department.

17. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Pinder asserted that he was just a "trained mimic" and that all his textures and tricks were basically copped from Eno and Lilywhite.

No Bull likes this.
  18. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

Say what?

zen likes this.
  19. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

The Moodies live are essentially a tribute band these days. They don't embarrass themselves but the energy and spirit that drove the band in their prime is gone. The band walks through their hits in a perfectly polite and inoffensive fashion. But Lodge and Hayward can still sing well.

I'm with a previous poster in my general loathing of DOFP. But new material with Thomas and Pinder, I'd definitely give it a listen. Edge is toast as a drummer, but a nice spoken word thing would be cool.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
    shokhead, Defrance and marblesmike like this.
  20. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

Without making things too complicated, I'd be happy with just a current photo shoot. Maybe in that same park from Threshold.

Defrance likes this.
  21. MrTim

MrTim Forum Resident

Must suck to be miserable like your self to thread crap here. Go listen to some Lawrence Welk.

somnar likes this.
  22. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Edge: "I'll be level with you, Mike." Pinder: "Step into the light, pal!"

Digital-G likes this.
  23. karmicg

karmicg Forum Resident

IMHO, they were never the same after Pinder's departure, he was just too essential to their sound and his songs, though few, were always among their best. It would be thrilling to see a reunion with him, to me it would feel like the first actual Moodies tour since 1974. Fingers crossed for this one!

R. Cat Conrad, factory44, Om and 4 others like this.
  24. Jasonb

Jasonb Forum Resident

He did go back and admitted it was a bad post if you read ahead a little.

MrTim and No Bull like this.
  25. Defrance

Defrance A Northern Soul

Bang on analysis. New material would be great, but who they picked as producer would be crucial. My vote would be for Stephen Street or John Leckie... someone that would challenge/modernize them while retaining a British feel. More of a leftfield selection would be Saint Etienne. What I don't want to hear is paint-by-numbers MOR schlock.

Atmospheric likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.