Moody Blues - The Other Side of Life CD question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by OldJohnRobertson, Apr 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OldJohnRobertson

OldJohnRobertson Martyr for Even Less Thread Starter

Hey everyone,

As we all know this one has never been remastered and the old CD has been out of print for a dog's age. So my question is this...are there any US versions of the disc that do NOT have made in West Germany and the GEMA logo on the disc? Because if there are, I certainly have never seen one. I've come across probably 7 or 8 copies of this over the last couple years and every single one of them were the West Germany for US version. Does anyone have a genuine Made in the USA version of this disc, if one even exists?

2. beatlesfan68

beatlesfan68 Forum Resident

3. OldJohnRobertson

That works. You just answered my question. Apparently that disc is more rare than the West German one then! LOL Because as I said, that's the first one I've ever seen. haha

4. beatlesfan68

I won an auction on ebay last year with a stack of 12 Moody Blues discs. As luck would have it, they were all original Threshold discs...no remasters!!! It was a very good day!!
    :righton:
    Mike

5. OldJohnRobertson

That's awesome. :) I actually like all the SACD remasters and the remasters of Octave, Long Distance Voyager and The Present. I thought of all of them, The Present was the most improved. I always thought that original CD sounded absolutely rancid. I know I'm in the minority about liking the latest reissues. ;)

6. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

I also have a made in U.S. disc. The booklet and back insert says printed in West Germany.

7. beatlesfan68

I do have the SACDs, but haven't bought the other 3 remasters yet. I'm on a Van Morrison and Monkees kick right now...so little time, so little space!!
    :angel:
    Mike

8. I've seen almost as many 'Made In USA' CD's of 'TOSOL', as I have 'West Germany' CD's. Actually, I've been running across more early 'USA' PDO pressings of 'TOSOL' lately, than the 'WG' pressings.

9. OldJohnRobertson

West Germany or not, for some reason those TOSOL CDs seem to be getting harder to find. I don't find them much at all in the used CD shops lately and I notice they seem to be selling for about $20 and sometimes more on eBay and the Amazon Marketplace.

10. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Somehow I never managed to get a CD of this title. I remember liking the album when given a promo copy at the radio station.

Yet when it came time to perhaps buy a CD, I instead chose a CD-VIDEO of the title. CD-V discs were combination audio/video, with the video track only being playable in a LaserDisc player. There was room on this 5-inch disc for about 20 minutes of CD audio and about 5 minutes of LaserDisc analog video (+the audio for the video track).

The release for this album contained:

Audio:
    1. Your Wildest Dreams
    2. Talkin' Talkin'
    3. It May Be a Fire
    4. Rock 'N' Roll Over You

Video
    5. Your Wildest Dreams

It's an ADD disc from PolyGram/Polydor, with an NTSC video. The gold-colored disc was made in the U.K.

Harry

11. I don't know I like some of them for example "Octave", "Long Distance Voyager", "The Present" all sound quite good as remasters.

12. OldJohnRobertson

Yes, those three are huge upgrades over the original CDs. Especially Octave because they finally used the right version of "Driftwood" (the original CDs used an edit that was faded out about 30 seconds early). The Present was a huge upgrade too since they finally got the left and right channels correct, and also...I don't care how much people here may love unremastered 80s CDs...that original CD of The Present sounded atrocious.

13. badfingerjoe

badfingerjoe Senior Member

Was that "right" version of Driftwood used on any other CD releases? That's a great song,so I'd like to know where I can get the longer version.

Thanks,
    JF

14. OldJohnRobertson

Joe: As far as I know the correct version of "Driftwood" had never appeared on CD until the remaster. The older CDs all contained the edited version, as far as I'm aware. Someone here may be able to point out some obscure pressing from some country where they used the vinyl (i.e. longer) version, but as far as I know, if you want the correct, longer version on CD, you need the remaster.

15. badfingerjoe

badfingerjoe Senior Member

Thanks for the quick response...I'll check it out.

JF

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.