Moondance LP - Is my copy a Rhino?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr.Balance, Apr 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Balance

Dr.Balance Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hey guys,

I just purchased from HMV Canada a sealed copy of Van Morrison's Moondance. It had a silver "RTI" Sticker on the plastic wrap but nothing about Rhino. I wanted the Rhino version but nothing "Rhino" is mentioned anywhere on the LP or Jacket. I can't make out the deadwax too clearly but it doesn't seem to have "KG" or "SH" from what I can see.

My question is, even though it is pressed for sure at RTI, can it also be not the Rhino (Steve Hoffman) version? Is there another version RTI is pressing?

Thanks guys,
    Jazzy

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Not to my knowledge.

Check the deadwax again. Right to the right-side of the machine matrix, you should be seeing "KGSH@ATM" handwritten.

3. Fortune

Fortune Senior Member

I believe Steve has stated this was recut and the new versions aren't his or Kevin's.

4. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Oh yikes, that one too?

It's like the 70's all over again.

5. Dr.Balance

Dr.Balance Forum Resident Thread Starter

Can anyone confirm this?

6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Not true. Europe is a different TERRITORY. What is sold there is beyond the scope of my brain.

All I know is that WB made RTI send metal parts to Germany as well as Camarillo. I was told that all current versions were KG/SH.

7. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

My copy has a US jacket, the RTI sticker, and no indication that it is manufactured by anyone other than Warner Bros. But the Hoffman/Gray initials are in the deadwax. It sounds amazing.

and it stoned me to my soul . . . . .

8. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

When I got this, it was like hearing the album for the first time. Steve and Kevin did an outstanding job - it really is amazing.

9. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

I'd seen this Morrison pressing along with others in my local store quite a few times and it appears to be selling well.
    I waited untill I changed my cartridge ( from Ortofon 2M Blue to 2M Black) before I replaced my (second) copy of this LP.
    Having read the about SH's work on this LP I was certainly keen to play it but was unsure (as where the shop) if this pressing did indeed have SH's input. RTI? Yes, but a European pressing. No mention of ANY repressing details on the cover or label.
    I played it and am convinced it does indeed contain SH's handywork. In fact I played it a couple of times before I inspected the dead wax. It's hard to read on side one but it does look like KG but no SH. Side 2 is clear enough and does not give me KG/SH but LM/SH.

Still sounds good, very good :righton:

10. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

Rhino UK rereleased Blue this year and i wanted to know who mastered this version, but even after contacting somebody within Warner UK i could not get any details...very frustrating, as i would love to buy the SH version of this. I do have two Rhino EU versions of Van the Man, Astral Weeks and Moondance and apart from the product numbers they are similar to the US versions.

11. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

Is the SH/KG mastered LP the only one to use the "tambourine mix" of "Into The Mystic"?

12. bibijeebies

There is on cd one version released in Japan that used the KG/SH mastering...the WPCR-75420 from 2008.

13. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Sorry for reviving this one, but my EU copy [8122-79907-0, Manufactured in the E.U. at the spine] has exactly the same deadwax writing as yours - no SH anywhere. Also I may say that I am convinced that it cannot be our host's work. We compared to an original of the same tambourine mix and the EU 180 gr one is muffled and boring to death. Since the 100% positive impression of everybody reviewing the SH mastering for this title cannot be questioned and was verified dozen of times in other occasions, I should look for the US Rhino version to confirm my assessment (unless there is something wrong with my pressing). Any input appreciated.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
    Gordon Johnson likes this.
  14. bibijeebies

http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=3183363

The EU 2008 Rhino Back To Vinyl is the one I have.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
  15. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

16. bibijeebies

I think this one sounds incredible. Deadwax details were the same as the US 2008 release.

17. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Not my impression at all. Have you verified the deadwax details against the US 2008 release yourself? I know SH himself* had written that the Rhino guys told him so, but perhaps it was not done this way finally. Interesting issue though.

*)

18. bibijeebies

one man's muffled is another man's natural sound....

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  19. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Sure (BTW have you compared with the original vinyl or the latest CD/Blu Ray/HD Tracks remaster?), but I ll bear the expense and try to get the US one. I hope that they will be different. I ll report back.

Gordon Johnson likes this.
  20. Gordon Johnson

I've played my copy a number of times, muffled? Not at all. Boring to death? Far from it.
    Regardless as to "who done it", sounds far from how you say you hear your copy.

Have you played this album on a second system?

21. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

No I have not. But do we have the same cutting? We compared it to the original and the new cd remaster and it paled. By the way we also played the famous recent US Rhino Love reissue and it was wonderful.

22. Gordon Johnson

I bought and played SIDE 1/2 the EU Rhino Live Doors double yesterday. Sounds great. I knew it was an EU pressing as over 90% of EU pressings play quieter than pressings from the US! No issues with this pressing at all, sounds great but I have not sat and listened in a critical manner.

Give the VM a spin on a totally different system if it is possible.

23. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

What does it say in the dead wax? Is it the US cut or not?

Which ever cut it is, skip over the first track, serious tape damage.

Once again, those who have great systems will notice that each song on MOONDANCE has a different tonality from other songs on the album. If someone states that the album as a whole has a certain sound, well, it doesn't. Especially in the version I mastered, all individual song tonality remains intact. Cannot speak for other masterings though..

IanL likes this.
  24. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

I ll do!

25. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

My EU Moondance has:

side 1 KPG
    side 2 should be LM SH

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.