More fun with image restoration...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Joel Cairo, Nov 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff Thread Starter

Well, it's my understanding that the 1957 TV version of "Cinderella" is on its way to making a DVD debut, allegedly sometime in 2004.

Much to my chagrin, they haven't let me near the transfer of the surviving kinescope with LUSTRE :) , but I'm still looking forward to the show being issued. Along with "Julie and Carol at Carnegie Hall" (which thankfully still exists on 2" quad videotape), it's one of the glaring omissions from the Silver Age of Television, in terms of public availability. To date there has been **no** official release of the program on tape or disc, and it has never been re-aired on network television.

The original program was one of CBS's **very** rare forays into early color broadcasting, and its live airing attracted the largest audience recorded to that date. Although there was surviving file evidence that the program was archived on B&W film, all prints of it were lost until just a few years ago, when one was donated the Museum of Television and Radio. It is available for viewing there, but there have been conflicting reports as to the condition of the existing print, which evidently underwent some restoration before being added to the collection.

There is persistent speculation that with the great strides that colorization has made in the past few years, the powers-that-be may utilize that process for the proposed home video release, in an effort to move that much closer to the look of the original broadcast, and (in some market researcher's opinion) make it more palatable to the mass market.

Even though they haven't asked me, I'm happy to do my part for the cause... I had never seen any color photos from the production, though it seemed logical that they should exist. Well, I recently had the pleasure of finding someone who had an original slide transparency and got a scan of it. Even though the original has since faded considerably (Eastmancolor stock-- need I say more?), it's my pleasure to show y'all something of what it must have looked like originally...

So here 'tis... Julie Andrews (Cinderella) and Jon Cypher (The Prince).

-Kevin

Attached Files:

2. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Very nice joel!!!

Yes that Eastman Color Process really bites. Turns all to red after 20+ years. I have that problem with a lot of my Scopitone tapes.

As for "Cinderella", they didnt run any color film, eh? Is the surviving print a kinescope off the monitor, or was the show filmed in Black and White while it was broadcast?

Too bad they didnt archive this in color. It would have been nice to have today.

3. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Looks nice - great corrected color balance.

4. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

By the way Joel, how did you do that?

5. Joel Cairo

Thanks for the comments, guys.... :)

To answer your question though, Mikey... let's just say that it took some color correction that's ananlogous to the type of EQ that Steve added to his "Mamas & Papas" MCA disc-- adjustments that were necessary, but are so drastic that they're not the type that a pro would normally apply to source material.

Nice to know that much color was still there, though!!

And no, as far as I know, NBC was the only network that made color kinnies (their "lenticular" system), so unless they were kind enough to do it for CBS, this was only preserved in B&W.

-Kevin

6. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

One way to get a good start at it is to identify a portion of the picture that is supposed to be neutral (typically something white or grey), read what the RGB values are, and "reverse engineer" the fading to the whole picture. This assumes that the fading over time has been uniform.

Regards,

7. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

NBC performing a kind act for CBS regarding color tv??? Heh, heh, heh, heh......

8. Claviusb

Claviusb A Serious Man

Kevin, I don't know what "drastic" adjustments that you needed to apply, but I simply pressed the "Auto" button in Photoshop's Curves dialog box and tweaked the curve in a couple of places to roughly match the density of your image. Probably took me all of 30 seconds, and I didn't even bother to sample either a white or gray area of color..

While your image looks more saturated (actually, oversaturated), I submit that my image is probably closer to accurate. I say that because the first thing that I noticed about your image is the flesh tones are still too pink (because the image is still too red). Note the color of the Prince's chest (too red) and compare it to mine (more green). Also note there is more shadow detail in Cinderella's hair, her apron, in the background tree and on the sidewalk. None of this is to show anybody up, but rather to make people aware that sometimes the simplest tool for the job is also the best.

9. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I agree. The soft tones in #2 are gone in #3, but the clarity and visual detail in the apron (where it's tapered) is more apparent, more revealing.

#2 seems more authentic in SOME ways, while #3 brings out a lot of sharp detail we never saw. Was the lighting in this film to reveal the end of the guy's boots, or was it completely in shadow?

10. Claviusb

Claviusb A Serious Man

I'm pretty sure that his boots shouldn't completely disappear. You should be able to "read" them. Again, look at the leafs in the tree above the man's head and look at the hair that frames her face. Yon should be able to see that the man has brown hair and where it ends and the shadow behind him begins (though I also realize that not everyone has their monitors calibrated). A very tell-tale place is her collar. I could have brought out even more detail in her apron than what I chose here, but I was more interested in keeping a more general tonal match with what Kevin had done.

11. Joel Cairo

Robert:

I like the lighting balance in yours (I **do** feel that mine errs on the side of being a bit daker and moodier that the original), but at least on my monitor, I prefer my warmer color balance. Although I'm in complete agreement with you about the prince's outfit, for example, the skin tones as I view them in your version are a bit jaundiced, and from a costuming standpoint, I find it much easier to believe that they'd have dressed Cinderella in a pink outfit (which makes the commonly-available blue apron a nice contrast), hence my tendency toward that color scheme.

And then of course there's the whole 1950s Technicolor-style color schemes that they used back then anyway, particularly to show off those new-fangled color TVs...!!

But you know, in general, this is why they have a lot of different horses for people to choose from in every horse race... :)

Thanks for your contribution!

-Kevin

(...and you know, I never **have** gotten the hang of Photoshop. My effort was done with manual tweaking in Paint Shop Pro.)

12. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Some of the slides I've attempted to restore were even more off-color than the Cinderella clip above! Fading Ektachrome from the 50's. In some examples, the lightest areas were washed out. It's amazing to see the transformation though. A friend of mine gave me a photo to scan--it was faded a bit to the brown side of the spectrum, had a few specs on it, and just overall looked "old". Some careful tweaking made it look a lot more presentable. And my huge scan of this small 3"x3" print means I can print it at 5x7 without any noticeable grain.

I should go take courses in Photoshop. Image retouching can be a lot of fun, and it pays well. :) I saw what a local photo studio is charged for digital retouching!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.