More Living Stereo SACD's...Yipee!!!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rpd, Dec 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pcain

pcain Forum Resident

I love the SQ on the discs I own. I can't wait to hear the Schubert: Symphony No. 9! That's been a fave since college.

2. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

Not that impressed with Puccini - La Boheme (Living Stereo SACD). The tapes apparently are not in the best of shape - lots of dropouts and distortion. (Listened in 2 and three channels). The dynamic range is not dynamic. Quite dissapointing. Can anybody comment on the other operas in this series before I get one more?

Came home with five of the Living Stereo SACD's that came out last year from Academy Records in Manhattan. $4 each sealed!! *They have a few of each title left..) Listening to Munch conducting the Mendelssohn Italian Symphony - quite good.

3. Scott, I myself am somewhat limited in my knowledge of classical music. However, I've picked up 16 of the Living Stereo SACDs and have yet to be dissapointed.

Again, reiterating that my ear for classical music is not nearly as trained as others who have posted in this thread, I am particlarly impressed by the following three titles in the Living Stereo SACD series:

Bartok - Concerto For Orchestra / Music For Strings, Percussion & Celesta / Hungarian Sketches

Mussorgsky - Pictures At An Exhibition / A Night On Bald Mountain

Rimsky-Korsakov - Scheherazade / Stravinsky - Song of the Nightingale

This is a great series, and I hope it continues.

4. AnalogueGhost

AnalogueGhost Forum Resident

Has anyone gotten their grubby little paws on anything from the new wave yet? I don't have any record store connections right now so I've gotta wait until tomorrow like a square.

5. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

It's awesome. Check out the dynamic range on Gaites Parisienne.

Can't wait until the new discs!

6. jws113

jws113 Member

RCA

Thanks for the link to Sony to suggest more Living Stereo re-release's. I dug out my old Chet Atkins Living Stereo Christmas album recently and compared it to the "regular" stereo.........it isn't even close. Your in the room with him !! Stunning is all I can say. Hope they let some of Chet's and Elvis' works out. :)

7. pierre168

pierre168 Senior Member

Did I read opera? I missed them completely. YES! YES! YES! :goodie: Just ordered them from Amazon. Thanks for bringing this up! Can't wait to get them.

Pierre

8. kkchome

kkchome Forum Resident

Just picked up the Julian Bream and the Strauss - Don Quixote/Don Juan disc. Both are fantastic and highly recommended. I especially like to Strauss disc. Reiner sure had a nice feel for Strauss' music.

9. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I ordered Reiner's Spain.... one of my favorite LSC's

10. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Great one. I will get that for sure.

11. RobertKaneda

RobertKaneda New Member

Set 5 is fine, fully up to the standards of the earlier sets, but you have to more than just like opera to appreciate it. Nice reintroduction of Anna Moffo, whose career seems to have passed quickly, to today's public.

12. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Robert, I've heard the Anna Moffo disc is terrific.

13. RobertKaneda

RobertKaneda New Member

I very much agree with "apileocole's" earlier answer to your post, its in-depth analysis, and his obvious fondest for the subject. Most of the RCA LS are considered classics, both in terms of the performances and the recordings. The repertoire is fine too, but one word of caution -- the music is mainly 19th century romantic music and there are very few works from the baroque period (Bach, etc.) and high classical periods (Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven). Personally, I favor the earlier periods over the post-classical period(s). If you get involved in RCA LS, you are likely to be exposed to large-scale, somewhat bombastic music that can emotionally get over-the-top. But that's just my view. I have all the RCA LS SACDs now available and will get this new set. I listen to them all from time to time.

Another consideration: Do you have multi-channel SACD? Most of these are multi-channel, although only three-channels actually carry a signal (left-center-right) because that's how they were recorded.

14. RobertKaneda

RobertKaneda New Member

Yes, it is. I recall (back when I was quite the youngster) that she was hyped in the same way that Van Cliburn was hyped -- appearances on the Ed Sullivan showing, billing as "America's great new opera star," etc. -- and then sort of disappeared after a not-too-long run in the spotlight. These SACDs (she's on a couple of the operas) are a nice reminder of her talent.

My wife, who is extremely critical of female vocalists, classical singers in particular, was highly impressed by Moffo's disk. Being French, she had never heard of her, and she made this comment as we listened to the Moffo LS SACD on a rental car system as we were doing our Christmas shopping all over Los Angeles. (Here in Paris, we don't even own a car.)

15. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Great feedback Robert. Thanks.

16. factor

factor Active Member

I'm very happy they're continuing the series but I must say I'm not too excited about anything in set 6. I might pick up the Brahms tone poems, and I do have some interest in Schubert's symphonies although I don't much like Charles Munch.

Nothing in here is nearly as exciting as set 4 (was it 4?) when they put out Respighi's Fountains and Pines of Rome.

17. RobertKaneda

RobertKaneda New Member

You're welcome. Hope you enjoy the disk if you decide to acquire it.

18. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

Both my local Borders and Best Buy seem to have dropped stocking them!

19. AnalogueGhost

AnalogueGhost Forum Resident

I picked up all five of the latest wave last night. I can't wait to listen to them!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.