More Metallica gold discs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ph123, Mar 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ph123

ph123 New Member Thread Starter

Does anyone know if there are plans to remaster "Kill 'em all" and "...And justice for all". I know that Steve has shown interest in doing Justice.
    Interview with Steve Hoffman

2. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

From the Steve Hoffman interview:

Perhaps I have been living under a rock, but is this true, or is this an old interview with information on DCC that never came to fruition?

3. duff138

duff138 Forum Resident

I wish I could hear these gold CD's. I've heard they sound great. That would be cool if they were being re-issued. "Justice for All" definitely needs to be re-worked, it sounds awful.

4. mjb

mjb Senior Member

As with most, I'm normally not a big fan of after-the-fact "tampering", but Justice would benefit much more from a good remix than simply remastering the title. It would be nice to hear some bass on the album for a change...

5. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I used to be very upset about the sound of the Justice CD. Over time as my system has improved, I enjoy the sound more. Sure the bass is mixed low, but it is what it is.

I find the texturing to be amazing. The intensity in the 80-300hz range is very dramatic. This is where many speakers can't keep up and it turns into mush.

6. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

I really couldn't agree more. I've never had the same problem with Justice as many others seem to. I've always felt that is sounded really tight and punchy and that the drums sounded more natural than anything they did before or since. Like SamS has said, though, you really need speakers that won't 'wobble' to hear it properly. As my system has improved over the years, this one has sounded better and better to me.

As far as gold discs, well the two DCC's are excellent, but you would be more likely to see them turn up on DVD-A these days than a gold disc, and if not that then some sort of 'Deluxe' redbook CD.

7. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Hey GB, our systems seem to jive nice with Metallica and DSOTM!

Really though, when I first got this one in '88, I had a little "jam-box" type of system and of course the sound was no good. After upgrading speakers and amps over years, the recording started to come to life. My current speakers really excell in the lower midrange and it's almost a viceral experience when cranking it up.

I also doubt we'll get an "improved" redbook release :( After the success of The Black Album on DVD-A, certainly Elektra is ready to pull in more green releasing the rest of the titles.

8. Matt

Matt New Member

Where would you guys rate Kill 'Em All in the Metallica canon? I've got the DCC discs of Master of Puppets and Ride The Lightning, and they're great albums (sound great, too).

9. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

I'd say that Kill 'Em All was a stellar debut, rough around the edges and a bit more straightforward than their following material, but a good sign of things to come. Personally, out of their pre-Black Album material, I would rate it 4th out of their full album releases. I know, however, that there are some who might argue with that assessment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.