Morrow Audio interconnect cable opinions wanted

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by jriems, Mar 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan Thread Starter

In this recent thread, one of the interconnect cable options presented is the Morrow Audio MA series.

I'm considering giving the MA1's a try since they're currently on sale for a reasonable price. I would like the opinions of anyone who has used, or is currently using, Morrow MA series cables (any model). If you're currently using them, I'm interested to find out what interconnects you moved from, and why. If you've used them and no longer are, I'd like to know what you moved to, and why.

The only other thread I could find specifically about Morrow product was about a year ago, so thought it would be ok to start this one.

Thanks! :wave:

2. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

I have a set of MA1's that are currently in use in my wife's setup. They are clearly better than the Blue Jeans LC-1 as they are more open with better timbre and detail. If you could spring a few more dollars the Analysis Plus Oval one excellent at less than $100.

I have Van den Hul in my system and that's why my wife is using the Morrow's.

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I've never heard them, sorry. They look nice but then so do my legs.

bwags12, Paully and BuddhaBob like this.
  4. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

As usual, it depends on one's viewpoint, Steve.

:winkgrin:

BuddhaBob likes this.
  5. jriems

Just don't expect any of us to help break them in...

6. jriems

Did you experience the all-over-the-map break-in characteristics of the MA1's that the site describes in detail?

7. chodad

chodad Hodad

I have some MA1s and broke them in for the number of hours recommended before I started listening seriously. They replaced some MTs. The MTs are darker with deeper bass. The MA1s have more clarity and resolution.

8. macster

macster Forum Resident

I replaced my AQ diamond backs, Cheetahs, Blue jeans, MIT's, Kimber's, Straightwires, etc with the Morrow products. Just be patient with them and they'll reward you handsomely for your efforts. Mike is a good guy and will go out of his way to work with you. He also has a "tradeup" program, where you trade in the cables that you purchased from him toward a higher price model. In my system Morrow cables helped to provide a more natural musical presentation, you can locate instruments and hear things in the background of the recording. It's a very cost effective product line, plus you can purchase demo cables from Mike, which serves to stretch your dollar. Other than that, I like em. Finally, it's just so darn satisfying to be able to cable up my system without having to take out a second mortgage on my house. BTW, I use MA3's between the pre and pwr amps. PH3's from the VPI to the pre, MA2's on the cassette deck out and MA3"s on the cassette decks input side.
    M~

T'mershi Duween likes this.
  9. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

Since Joe Namath is long retired, we'll be looking for them in pantyhose commercials.

10. jriems

Thank you for the information, macster. I think I will give the MA1's a try. I'd love to go with the MA2's, but just can't swing the cost at this point. I love the trade-up program, though, and the lifetime warranty Morrow provides.

11. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Did you ever get the MA1's? I'd love to hear what people think of them, as they're on sale for the first time since I've been interested in them. 20% off through Sunday.

Thanks!

12. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

The MA-1 interconnects are just $34.97 right now. Just ordered a pair to connect my Rotel RCD-855 to my new Maggie MMG/Outlaw RR2150 system.

13. DPM

DPM Senior Member

My Morrow Audio Experience

I recently replaced the combination Cardas brackets and bare copper wire I had been using as jumpers on my Hales towers with Morrow Audio jumpers (banana connectors). When I placed my order I opted for the two day burn-in provided by Morrow Audio before shipment. I had read (both here and on the Morrow Audio site) the warnings about how these cables require a long break-in period--hence, my choice for a bit of pre-shipment burn-in.

Well, when I first installed the cables I heard a lot of improvement and one draw back. On the good side was a lower noise floor, improved image focus, greater soundstage depth, cleaner transients, and (strangely enough) improved bass response. The one drawback--which was NOT subtle--was a peaky treble response in the top two octaves (give or take). In an effort to tame the highs I dug out my long-unused speaker grilles and put them on the Hales. This helped, but I could still hear the peakiness. But, having been warned about the pre break-in nature of Morrow's cables I soldiered on. After all, there was more good than bad going on straight out of the box. And, judging by what I'd been reading on Morrow's site, I did not really have that much longer to go for these cables to get settled. The two-day burn in conducted by Morrow was equivalent to 96 hours of playtime, so I was part way there already.

Well, as things stand now--50+ hours and a few weeks later--the peaky treble has tamed a good bit, and the rest of the spectrum seems to have bloomed a tad. This is the best my Hales Trans. 8 towers have sounded. Period. It's as if up till now I'd been looking out a slightly dirty window, and now that window has not only been cleaned but flung open wide. My speakers have always been extra strong in the imaging and resolution departments, but now there are times I can't believe what I'm hearing. (As in, Holy crap! I didn't know that was there.) Yes, obscured subtleties are coming through.

Anyway, I just wanted to add my two cents to this thread. This has been an instance of money well spent.

14. Ellsworth

Ellsworth Forum Resident

I have the MA2s connecting my DAC to the preamp. No complaints at all. I am happy with them but to be honest I am not the best at describing how equipment and cables sound.

15. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Oh Steve. You're such a tease.

16. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

Come on Steve, show us your legs !!! You know you want to !!!

Paully likes this.
  17. Abbagold

Abbagold Working class hero

I took the plunge on the MA1's. Hopefully I'll experience what everyone else has. Will post when they arrive

18. jriems

I'd be interested in hearing follow-ups from others who purchased Morrow Audio cables earlier in this thread. I'm very pleased with my MA-1's, but I use them in a headphone rig, so I never saw a really drastic change/improvement with them. I do really love their flexibility in fitting them into my rig, and I am very satisfied with the sound overall.

19. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I'm using their turntable cables ( PH3 ) and the difference between the Blue Jean LC-1 cables that I was using is like night and day. I might move these cables over to another turntable and upgrade to the PH5's. I'll definitely try a pair of their interconnects based on how much I like their turntable cables. So far I'm sold on Morrow.

20. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

I use two pair of Morrow RCA cables, one from my TT to the amps preamp inputs, and one from the Cd player to the aux input.

They needed a good deal of break in time, but they are VASTLY superior in sound quality to garden variety RCA cables. Much more resolution and depth to recordings. I highly recommend them as long as youre willing time-wise, to break them in.

21. ssmith3046

Or you can pay a little extra for 240 hours of break in time. Or something like that. I believe you can actually choose your hours.

22. Abbagold

Abbagold Working class hero

I got a pair on sale with free break in. I paid less than $50 bucks, so not a huge financial gamble. Hopefully will notice a difference.

23. ssmith3046

Let us know how you like them. I'm using their PH3 phono cables and love em.

24. Blank Slate

Blank Slate Forum Resident

I recently upgraded to the MA1, using it from my Lounge phono pre to the receiver. For about $50 including $15.00 for the 2 day break-in they offer I figured it was a good purchase. I felt the inexpensive rca's I was using were not letting me get the most out of the new Lounge. I was right. The Lounge made a big difference for me but upgrading the interconnect to the Morrow bumped the SQ again. The difference was noticeable. I hear additional improvement in clarity, sound stage and imaging. I am noticing my speakers "disappearing" now depending on the recording. That hadn't happened before pairing the MA1 with the Lounge.

The sale they are offering now is up to 25% off. I have been getting emails saying the sale ends this Sunday February 9. The lifetime warranty seems bullet proof and the trade-up program is a nice option.

25. ssmith3046

Great savings. When I hooked up their PH3 phono cables it was a holy cow moment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.