Most underrated Rolling Stones album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnnyQuest, Dec 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

Most if this album has definitely got better over time. Of course I still can't stand "Cherry Oh Baby" and "Melody" (and to a lesser degree, "Fool To Cry"), but the rest of the tracks are great.

2. Jack Flash

Jack Flash Forum Resident

Hey, I noticed one of your posts about liking my avatar when I was looking at the forum on my phone a while back, but I didn't get a chance to comment.

I like your avatar, too. :D

Brian Jones. :edthumbs:

old school and Dave Hoos like this.
  3. Former Scientist

Former Scientist Now on wheels....

Emotional Rescue is my favourite Stones album, because of the time of my life it soundtracked...but its a strong album anyway, I think....

mbrownp1, sami, Lil' Brian and 3 others like this.
  4. Dave Hoos

Yours must have been have been taken around '68 or even early '69. He almost looks like Cobain. Great photo.

Jack Flash likes this.
  5. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident Thread Starter

Cobain almost looks like him. :winkgrin:

Dave Hoos likes this.
  6. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Emotional Rescue. Actually a really good album. Much better than Goat's Head Soup and It's Only Rock and Roll

7. Dave Hoos

Yes. I realised my horrendous cock-up a few seconds after I posted it, but as I was driving, I thought I'd better not correct it straight away.
    :doh:

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  8. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Sorry to disagree Mylene, but it's dreadful IMHO. Many fans on the IORR forum rate it as their worst lp.

Dave Hoos and old school like this.
  9. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

When the single came out I hated it and Kris Neads wrote a scathing review of the album in Zig Zag (mostly pointing out earlier songs that the album tracks were derived from) so I always believed it was a bad album. I heard it for the first time this year and it's a Stones' classic. There's actually not a bad song (in context of the album even the title song sounds good). The production and the flow is much better than GHS and IORAR (there's no room for two 6 minute Santana tributes on EM). Next I'll check out Bridges to Babylon ;)

10. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

Emotional Rescue

mbrownp1 likes this.
  11. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Bridges To Babylon, because it is supposed to be so atrocious, yet there are some redeeming moments that elevate it from the very bottom of the pile.

That said, I think an album like Goats Head Soup which gets mixed reviews is a very good Stones album; so in that sense, it might be the most underrated because it is far from being mediocre and pretty close behind the band's highest regarded work.

12. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I listened to it again the other day and disliked it again as usual except for Let Me Go and She's So Cold. I like Goat's Head Soup and It's Only Rock 'N' Roll much better. I even like a few of the songs on the Some Girls Deluxe Edition bonus disc better than most of Emotional Rescue.

Dave Hoos likes this.
  13. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Agree on Goats Head Soup and I like It's Only Rock 'N' Roll better than Goats Head Soup.

old school likes this.
  14. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

I'm playing Down in the Hole right now. Best Stones' blues since the Ventilator :)

Mother and Chris Bernhardt like this.
  15. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Try Fancy Man Blues or The Storm, they are both better IMHO.

MRamble and Mylene like this.
  16. 9la

9la Forum Resident

<
    groovy pop rock (Connection, Cool Calm and Collected, Complicated, Miss Amanda Jones), some psych rock (Please Go Home, All Sold Out), plus Back Street Girl

Dave Hoos and old school like this.
  17. stanlove

stanlove Forum Resident

Tough because GHS,IORR, and Black and Blue are all underrated and we know why, but I think I would pick Black and Blue as the most underrated.

18. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

That is my least favorite of the 3.

19. john beacham

john beacham Forum Resident

I think it used to be Satanic Majesty Request, but that record has gained a lot of respect over the years and only grown in stature. I listened to both Goats Head Soup, and It's Only Rock & Roll recently and still enjoy these 2 records immensely. They seem to get slighted by most purists.

sami, Dave Hoos and John Fell like this.
  20. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

I do not know why nobody likes sticky fingers or exile. (Ducks)

21. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Their debut album...

One of the top five in their discography and usually rated substantially below that.

jumpinjulian and Chris Bernhardt like this.
  22. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident Thread Starter

Been listening to the Stones all day and love how they remind me in so many different ways why I love them. :love:
    Having one of those moments where I'm starting to feel like they're better than the Beatles. :hide:

RogerB, mbrownp1 and sami like this.
  23. Dave Hoos

I have those moments all the time...

24. Dave Hoos

I gave Emotional Rescue a rare listen today while out driving. I really like "Let Me Go" and I think that "Summer Romance", "She's So Cold" and the title track are all okay. The rest of them though, IMHO, range from mediocre to dreadful.

If I were to choose the Stones most underrated album in each of their three eras, I'll go with these...

1962-1969 (Brian Jones era)
    The Rolling Stones No.2

1969-1974 (Mick Taylor era)
    Goat's Head Soup

1976-present (Ronnie Wood era)
    Bridges To Babylon

Micke Lindahl likes this.
  25. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

If I compared Beatles/Stones as a whole package - meaning studio + live - then I'd pick the Stones. (This would be viewing McCartney as "the Beatles" for live purposes since the Beatles split before I could see them play.)

But if we just compare studio, it'd be Beatles for me...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.