Mott the Hoople Atlantic LPs vinyl box set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by frank3si, Nov 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident Thread Starter

I posted something about this in the Coupons Discounts and Sales section, but since nothing turned up about in a preceding search I thought it might be appreciated here in the Music forum.

Popmarket's offering today is a supposedly-exclusive-to-them 180g vinyl box set of Mott the Hoople's outstanding Atlantic Records releases.

More info here: http://www.popmarket.com/details/37033250?feature_id=35530960

Does any know anything about the origins of these? Btw, there is a 15% discount available via the coupon code popmarket15...

1970 likes this.
  2. Topcheeseman

Topcheeseman Forum Resident

I saw this and was tempted but shipping to the UK is prohibitive with Popmarket nowadays. I wonder if these will be sold individually at some point. The wording is a little deceptive as this could mean it is only available for a limited time or only exclusive for a limited time!

'Exclusive release available ONLY at POPmarket.com for a limited time!'

3. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

I can remember when Atlantic Mott The Hoople LPs were in dollar bins in used record stores,even white label promo copies.That's how I bought mine.Nobody wanted them.Has this changed?

4. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

Mott the Hoople was a culturing band for musicians who went on to bigger things.

5. frank3si

Don't know, but my original copies are well-worn by now, so I'm taking a shot on these...

6. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Tempted. I imagine this will be packaged like the recent Beefheart box.

7. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

No nothing has changed. The Island pressings are what is desirable with UK source tapes used. So a US collection is questionable from the get go.

8. giantleech

Provenance of tape sources/quality of mastering/pressing known about this set? It is all so out of the blue and mysterious, this item.

Alan2 likes this.
  9. frank3si

Hence this post :laugh:

10. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Let us know what you think. Highly recommend the new reissue of All The Young Dudes pressed at QRP and mastered by Kevin Gray at Cohearent Audio.

Joti Cover and frank3si like this.
  11. ginchopolis

ginchopolis Forum Resident

$85? Yikes.

12. frank3si

But also 15% off that and free shipping. It's on the way now, quick turnaround by Pop Market :agree:

cc-- likes this.
  13. Senor Muddy

Senor Muddy Forum Resident

I had to take a chance on this, even though I could find no additional info on line.

I will add the new QRP pressing of All the Young Dudes is excellent. I picked up the red vinyl version. I haven't done an A/B test but I think I like it better than the MOV version I have. I liked it well enough that I immediately ordered the David Johansen blue vinyl release after hearing the Mott. It is also an excellent pressing.

frank3si likes this.
  14. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Where did you order these from? The colored vinyl Dudes and Johanson?

15. Senor Muddy

Senor Muddy Forum Resident

Acoustic Sounds

16. frank3si

The set arrived yesterday. No time to do more than open it, but the outer box that contains all the LPs is a flimsy fold-in box labeled on the edge "Rhino Custom Products." The "mini poster" is simply the image from the outside of the flimsy box, with liner notes on the reverse. The Mott the Hoople cover is not textured as the original was. And everything was inserted into the outer box upside down.

So much for the visuals - I'll try to get to the vinyl ASAP...

Alan2 likes this.
  17. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts. Are your originals US pressings?

18. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

Any connection to the recent release of this exact material as a digital box set on HD Tracks?

Dino likes this.
  19. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

This is VERY interesting to me, but I'm wary of it in the light of the comments above, by frank. I'd love the albums, but it sounds like a hastily assembled money -making affair. I'd prefer it if the albums came out on vinyl individually.

20. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

But you have had the opportunity to pick up these albums individually many times over the years, and you most likely did not. So here they are in one nice box from most likely HD transfers, and that is not exciting either to you.

This is a limited set, it will be over and gone soon enough. It's hard to make people happy in this age of choices a-plenty.

21. giantleech

The description by one of the other posters here of the outer box that this set comes in makes it sound "chintzy." Not a good sign.

Alan2 likes this.
  22. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

The timing is odd too. The reunion gigs are a memory now and - as far as I'm aware - there's no other get-together shows planned for any time soon. Just a Christmas dad-rock present punt from the company I guess.

quicksrt likes this.
  23. frank3si

Yes, they are... And my number on the box is 0183, for what little that may be worth ;)

24. frank3si

OK, I did a quick A/B of "Rock and Roll Queen" from Mott the Hoople. I wish I could just flip a switch to get an instant side-by-side, as removing the clamp and switching LPs takes time, but overall I'd say the new pressing is slightly brighter sounding than the original pressing, but not obnoxiously so. Overall, I'd say the new pressing is very enjoyable.

On the run off on the new LPs in order is written OPLP-8862-LP01-A with B on side two, followed by the same code for LP02, LP03, and LP04 - so obviously this is intended as a set. All the records except Brain Capers have "Mastered by Capitol" stamped near the other info, and there is what appears to be G1 and a sideways capital H with a small "s" in the top of the bigger letter. That is found on all eight sides of the box. In the credits on the back of the "mini poster" it notes, "Vinyl Mastering: Ian Sefchick, Capitol Mastering, Hollywood CA"

So, there's my initial report :wave:

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  25. Scooter59

Scooter59 Forum Resident

I would like to know this as well. I downloaded the HD Tracks set and I'm very happy with the mastering when compared to the Angel Air remasters from a few years back. I only have U.S. vinyl for Mott and Greatest Hits.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.