Mouse in listening room

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by sheffandy, Jul 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sheffandy

sheffandy Forum Resident Thread Starter

This is no joke, earlier this evening I settled down to listen to Opeth's Pale Communion on vinyl (it sounds great btw). Out of the corner of my eye I noticed a moving object on the floor next to my rig, it was a small dark brown mouse!!! I am now in the process of trying to 'remove' it. Really worried about the potential damage to cables etc. I have laid a trap.

2. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

C.A.T.

F1nut, Rick Bartlett, IanL and 10 others like this.
  3. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

4. luckyno13

luckyno13 Forum Resident

But does your system sound better with or without the mouse?

Have you considered upgrading to a rat?

Al_D, arar, octaneTom and 48 others like this.
  5. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Reminds me of when I was in college visiting my parent's house during the summer and we were downstairs in the basement area.

My dad was a die hard fan of Mash, we were watching an episode and out of the corner of my eye I saw a shadow move *within* one of the overhead fluorescent fixtures...then the light flashed and we looked up to see the shadow of a mouse lying still on the lens against a growing shadow of liquid it just released.

It must have gnawed on the wires and shocked itself to death.

InStepWithTheStars likes this.
  6. Hipper

Hipper Forum Resident

You should ditch the modern digital mammalian mouse and bring in a vintage analogue marsupial one. Gives you a much warmer sound with that pouch.

7. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I use an iPad for streaming. No mouse required.

8. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Ah natural selection. :laugh:

9. sheffandy

sheffandy Forum Resident Thread Starter

I can confidently report the mouse prefers Opeth to Genesis. I listened to Nursery Cryme and the mouse laid low.

TLMusic, sunspot42, Grant and 5 others like this.
  10. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

From there, try to experience the different tonal presentations between the black ( Rattus rattus ) and brown ( Rattus Norvegicus ) rat to arrive at which rat truly offers the best soundstage and imaging, as well as bass extension. From there, you have the potential upgrade path of a NOS rat - why settle for a current-production rat ? Ultimately, once you have arrived at which rat sounds best to you, be sure to have your rat cryo'd. Here is a photo of a Canadian rat cryogenics facility in production:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    D.D.

Merrick, Runicen, MikeInFla and 4 others like this.
  11. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Poison it. If you saw one, there's more of them. I had the same problem in my old house before marrying and moving. They were not only eating the jackets of my speaker cables but climbing them to nest underneath my receiver. I found 6 of them there and a lot of nasty-smelling mouse pee and poo that nearly ruined the top of my audio rack. I cleaned intensively but the stains never came out. The lacquer was ruined. Fortunately the receiver is almost big enough as to cover the top of the rack so no one can see the stains or I would have had to replace the whole rack.

sunrayjack likes this.
  12. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Yea, they're getting in somehow.

13. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Just when you think you have seen everything on this forum....

14. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

They can squeeze in through the tiniest crack. We had a pretty big infestation a few years ago before I managed to get rid of them with traps. Recently, our two cats caught one, so they're back! I haven't done a double blind test to determine if sound quality is affected...

sunspot42 likes this.
  15. oregonalex

oregonalex Forum Resident

Try playing it this:

16. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Don't poison them - they crawl away full of poison, then die and rot in your home. not good. also pets will eat the poision, if this is a concern

sunspot42, IanL, Manimal and 4 others like this.
  17. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Just need to play some of this

[​IMG]

crooner, KeninDC, Grant and 4 others like this.
  18. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

In all seriousness OP they do carry disease that can cause harm to you and yours so they do have to be dealt with. Per a previous post be careful with poisons because there is a very real risk there to your children pets and whatnot.

In our house we are maybe a bit whacky on this so take it with a grain of salt. We have had good luck with live traps baited with peanut butter. We live on the edge of a ravine and have mouse issues sometimes... Basically we are right in the woods. So when we do have a mouse problem, we use these live traps and check them every day. When we get one we take it down to the edge of the ravine and release it.

One year at Christmas I took one down and when I released it it shot across the snowy yards and right in the neighbor's basement.

I figured it was good on the mouse. Who the hell am I to say any different on Christmas?

Anyway good luck.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
  19. 2point1

2point1 Forum Resident

They can't resist Peanut Butter....... Snap!

F1nut, Gavinyl and boboquisp like this.
  20. boboquisp

boboquisp Magic Prism Eyes

Snap, indeed. Peanut butter always works.

Gavinyl likes this.
  21. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

Oh no... Snappers?

Snap not lest ye be snapped!

22. Lester Best

Lester Best Well-Known Member

Set traps (ie glue boards or a catchall). Any exterminating distributor or Lowes or Home Depot should carry these. No poisons involved for rats who deserve it.

23. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Well that is true in principle, but I used this bait that comes in pellets or red parafine blocks mice chew that produces hepatic failure and mice dry out without rotting; no smell, just carcasses here and there you can pick up and toss to the trash. They take it to their nests and their offspring is killed as soon as they're born or before. As long as you place the bait away from children and pets it should be safe. Can't recall the name of the substance though but it's exteremely effective.

My house was infested beyond belief and within a couple of weeks I achieved total erradication. This advice was given to me by my vet friend.

gregorya and sunrayjack like this.
  24. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

We live in a very old (though very thoroughly restored and maintained) house in the country. All kinds of critters can get in, and through surprisingly small holes. Field mice are small to begin with and trying to prevent them from gaining entry is a giant PITA. The folks that said 'get a cat' aren't far off the mark in terms of prevention. While we had our cats, we almost never saw a critter- they were around, but the smell of the cats, the very sense of them, kept the little buggers out of sight. A pro exterminator- a good one- can usually point to the obvious places of entry and for a relatively low periodic fee, provide the service to eliminate them. We've also had additional carpentry, sealing, roof eaves work and other preventative measures taken- as well as lining all hot water pipe gaps in the floors with a type of "steel wool" that is especially nasty. And still, I'll find a dead mouse every once in a while in the basement. I'm an animal lover generally, but if it is me v a mouse, I'll bring out the big guns (figuratively speaking). So far, I don't know that I'm winning- let's call it breaking even. Part of it is also peace of mind. Critters bother me less than snakes, spiders and sharks. Thankfully, no sharks in the Hudson River.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
    TLMusic, VinylRob and The Pinhead like this.
  25. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.