Movie that everyone loves, but you hate

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Gallileo, Jul 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Batman Begins, Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises. The plot holes and contrivances add up way too much for me to be able to enjoy them.

2. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

E.T. is one movie that I've never seen. When it was released, I had so many "You should see it, You've gotta see it, it's so good"&c ...from acquaintances that I tuned out any idea of ever seeing it. It's a behaviour I have, and with the reason you give, it sounds as if it served me well here.

Jrr, PHILLYQ and hi_watt like this.
  3. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

Star Wars
    Ark of the Lost Raiders

4. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

Annie Hall isn't exactly the greatest movie ever to win best picture, but it was the best of a mediocre bunch that year.

One Louder likes this.
  5. danner

danner Forum Resident

True Romance. It's not touted as some sort of cinematic masterpiece, but it seems like every "guy" guy I know loves it. I've always found it completely cheesy, dumb, and over-stylized. It didn't even work for me as a 15 year-old. I actually like most of Tarantino's stuff, but movies like this and Natural Born Killers (another movie I can't stand) make me think that he really needs to be in the director's chair to make his scripts work.

Mark Nelson likes this.
  6. danner

danner Forum Resident

What's funny is I love a lot of Woody Allen movies (including the "serious" ones), but I've always been kind of luke-warm on Annie Hall.

Right there with you on Blazing Saddles and Caddyshack. I've never been a huge Mel Brooks guy, so there's that. But Caddyshack has always struck me as a handful of funny gags scattered throughout a meandering mess of a movie. I watched an A&E documentary a couple of years ago about the making of it, and it totally explained why the movie feels that way to me: The cast and crew were essentially having a coke and booze party, and they just happened to be filming a movie at the same time.

7. For full disclosure my tolerance level for overly sweet, manipulative movies using every tech inquest in the book to manipulate the audience is low and this is (along with The Color purple which, really, should have tackled by any other director as in my opinion Spielberg has no feel for the material) aerfct example of all the things I disli,e about Spielberg (and I'm a fan of his best work).

Colin makes a really good case for the appeal of the film but, outside of what I mentioned, it's just a film that matches my taste and I wasn't the target audience for the film.

I wouldn't call it a bad film, or overrated, it's just one I really really hate.

8. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

One of my absolute favorites! My girlfriend doesn't like it much...

image.jpg

9. Gallileo

Gallileo Forum Resident Thread Starter

Ha! I've just seen it few days ago. Well, I was a huge Mel Brooks fan when I was younger and I really couldn't tell how loud I laughed the first time I seen it (the infamous *cowboys eating beans* scene :D ).
    But, I don't know, in my own opinion Blazing Saddles has not aged very well and now I just smile here and there.
    To me, his best movie is still Young Frankenstein. Hands down. :D

10. ochsfan

ochsfan Forum Resident

I concur, especially coming on the heels of Jackie Brown, still for me Tarrantino's most human and fully-realized film. In comparison, Kill Bill was a derivative, tone-deaf cartoon. I found it a chore to sit through.

Hutch likes this.
  11. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

I love you. :love:

12. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

All these superhero comic book movies that have been released in the last decade The only one I enjoyed was the first Superman with Christopher Reeves.

Also
    Titanic and it even won picture of the year, why o why?

13. MusicalHeaven

MusicalHeaven Well-Known Member

Because it was a fantastic film?

Larry Geller likes this.
  14. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Grease. And its awful soundtrack.

15. Mark Nelson

Mark Nelson Forum Resident

THIS IS THE END, apparently...

Karnak likes this.
  16. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Too many to name, but I despised "The 40 Year Old Virgin". But I despise everything that Steve Carell does.

Trace and hi_watt like this.
  17. danner

danner Forum Resident

I liked them at the time, but I've never felt the urge to revisit those movies. For me, Tarantino didn't make any serious missteps until Death Proof, which actively angered me. That's the one that made me go, "Oh, this is why some people hate Tarantino."

18. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Personally, I think his whole career is a misstep. Sorry...

19. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

Field of Dreams, some of the worst and/or annoying acting (Costner & Madigan) & total misuse of Burt Lancaster (when he is discribing going into second base, the camera should be pulled back to show Burt's whole or at least upper body, the man used his body so well in his career).

music4life and xilef regnu like this.
  20. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Forest Gump
    ET
    Independence Day

21. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

Inception and Blade Runner.

22. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

Same here, but just about anything Apatow has a hand in can be included for me. I tried watching Pineapple Express a while back, and it was the dumbest thing I had ever seen. Well, at least until I watched the last 15 minutes of Sharknado yesterday. :laugh:

Mark Nelson likes this.
  23. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

OK, we agree on one of the two.:)

24. Michael

that's putting it mildly.

25. Michael

OK...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.