MovieMars hits a new low in packaging LPs for shipping

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by kwadguy, Jan 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member Thread Starter

MovieMars is a major 3rd party media seller on Amazon. They've been in the business for a long time, and have, in the past, indicated that they at least have some clue how to package media for shipping.

Well, I guess the directive went out that they need to cut pennies off their LP shipping costs.

Last week I received 3 vinyl LPs from them, all packaged as shown in the photos.

For those who don't know, that's VERY thing corrugated PACKING material (with low stick adhesive on one side), meant to wrap around fragile items that will then be placed in outside harder cardboard. It's not meant to be the SOLE packing material for something as fragile as an LP.

This is the kind of thing I might expect from a total amateur, but not from someone who's been around for a while. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Reese

Reese Just because some watery tart threw a sword!

Hmm . . . apparently DeepDiscount and ImportCDs didn't receive this memo, either.
    I'm certain that if I ever sent anything this way, it'd be destroyed in short order. However, despite cursing the sender every time I've received LPs or CDs packaged this way, (amazingly) the worse damage I've seen is a cracked jewel case and a slightly bent LP jacket corner.
    How did your records fare?

3. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member Thread Starter

As with you, the records seemed to arrive OK. But I think it's blind luck.

4. grouploner

grouploner Forum Resident

Definitely blind luck.

I wasn't quite so lucky...about 6 months ago I ordered an LP from MovieMars through their Amazon listings, arrived in similar packaging to the photo above, but was severely damaged (2 corners of the record were almost bent back against themselves). While they were OK with accepting the return, it was a HUGE hassle to get the return shipping charges back.

(I don't know about DeepDiscount as stated in post #2 - I've never purchased vinyl from them, but at least when ImportCD's sends vinyl in this type of packaging, they use some corrugated liners for reinforcement. MovieMars had nothing in there but the record, in my case.)

I decided then and there that the small amount of money I saved purchasing from MovieMars was not worth the risk of product damage, since they obviously don't care about it either.

5. misterclean

misterclean Forum Resident

The last couple of LPs that I received from deepdiscount were packaged this way as well. Had to to return one that had a nasty corner crease.

6. G E

G E Senior Member

I just received an elpee from DeepDiscount and the packaging was fine: robust cardboard mailer, much thicker and stiffer than the pics above.

Perhaps they are tiring of returned orders.

7. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

Got one from ImportCD's like this a while back. It was pure luck it wasn't damaged. Sad they think this is ok.

8. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

My Movie Mars order of the Buck Owens Bear Family box arrived this morning. Good thing it was not raining out.

So you say you don't have a big enough shipping box? There is no problem that cannot be solved with a lit bit of extra packing tape to keep it all together.

Say "peek-a-boo!" Buck.

[​IMG]

melstapler likes this.
  9. JPagan

JPagan Generation 13

Ha ha ha... but, wow.

Is the LP shrinkwrapped? I hope it is (it's wrong, regardless).

10. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

It is a 7 CD box set. Fortunately it was shrink wrapped. The box is about an inch and a half thick. It was sent in a standard LP mailer. Now we know why they have no LP mailers for their LP shipments. They are using them for larger box sets instead. :)

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  11. JPagan

JPagan Generation 13

:doh: I got yours and the OP's lot confused. Glad your box cover is OK.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.