MoviePass Drops to $9.95 a Month For a Movie a Day

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by RayS, Aug 15, 2017.

1. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

This will be very helpful if they stick with it. Thanks for posting.

Unfortunately, only 2 of the 7 movies for today are showing in my area.

I really don't get the big email push they did for Mission Impossible, to only have it available for one day. I might have gone to see it that day if I knew it would be the only chance.

2. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

You know what is curious to me is, if they just fill your card with $10 what difference can it possible make what film you see? Unless they are just severely limiting the chances you’ll go. But where I’m going with this is I wonder if they are starting to get some $$ from certain studios to promote their film? Now, that’s a business model that could possibly work but they would also have to bite the bullet and make sure they include a couple obvious big releases so that people would not cancel. But, if they could drive a lot of people to see a specific film on the app, I’m sure money could be made. Interesting. It’s still miles away from what it was originally intended, but it won’t be long before most people will have cancelled, who don’t feel it will offer them value, and then they can see how many people are left and go from there. I think had they done something like this earlier, had specials for instance on certain films, that could have put a lot of $$ in the coffers. I’m sure they thought of that, but since they’ve been around a while now maybe some studios started (or are) considering it.

snowman872 likes this.
  3. Jeff Edwards

Jeff Edwards Senior Member

And showtimes will probably be gone by early evening.

Oatsdad likes this.
  4. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

I am almost certain this is what is happening or what they want to happen.

5. snowman872

snowman872 Forum Resident

I think there is a big demand still for people to see Mission Impossible but MP is still in the transition phase where they have high cost exposure with people still under the old "unlimited" plan. Nonetheless, they wanted to offer customers a chance to see it - after all it is one of the biggest blockbusters of the summer. Soooooo, they opened the floodgates on Tuesday - when the ticket price was $5-6 rather than $13-15. They are a lot smarter than people think.

6. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower Thread Starter

I currently have "The Meg" or nothing on my app. I'm going to opt for nothing. It's great to have choices, thanks MP! :)

mrjinks likes this.
  7. If so, they would need to disclose that info to subscribers and shareholders.

8. snowman872

BINGO! They can drive people to see certain movies and certain theatres - even at certain times. This creates financial opportunities for them to partner with both studios and exhibitors. There's probably many ways they can be done, but straight promotion and revenue sharing/incentives are two that come immediately to mind. They also have the power to drive people away from certain theatres (or films) and AMC is very concerned about this.

Ironically, now that AMC created their own pass as an defensive measure, it becomes more likely MoviePass will retaliate against them eventually and partner with other chains such as Cinemark and Regal. No doubt these other chains on the sideline are upset about the possible loss of repeat business because of AMC's pass. AMC has become enemy #01 - not MoviePass.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
    Jrr likes this.
  9. snowman872

That's too bad. It has a 60% rating on Rotten Tomatoes by 2500+ viewers. You're gonna miss out Ray!

10. snowman872

Oh? What's your authority for that proposition? You think subscribers paying $9.95 a month should be privy to all their private business dealings?

11. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

I absolutely think we'll find out that Moviepass is doing very shady and quite possibly illegal stuff behind the scenes. I have no knowledge and I am not making a specific allegation. I just get that"vibe." (I never got it with Netflix when they were struggling.)

There is a lawsuit: MoviePass Subscription Woes Cause Huge Losses, Shareholder Lawsuit - IGN
    Link to lawsuit: https://pmcdeadline2.files.wordpress.com/2018/08/helios-and-matheson-suit.pdf

But the way they've handled all this - I wouldn't be surprised if something really bad is happening.

snowman872 likes this.
  12. The SEC and FTC.

13. snowman872

So companies must report all their business transactions, business partners and strategies to the SEC and FTC? Not sure where you are getting this.

14. Jeff Edwards

Jeff Edwards Senior Member

And yes, all show times are gone on the East coast as of 6:45 pm.

Oatsdad likes this.
  15. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Thanks, Mitch! Appreciate your input!
    :wave:

jriems, Oatsdad and snowman872 like this.
  16. snowman872

We'll have to see how that goes. As I have mentioned before the TOS requires arbitration and do not permit class actions. And they can change the terms at any time. People can sue for anything, but that doesn't mean it will stick. The court might very well toss out this lawsuit and hit the plantiff with steep sanctions. If I were judge, that's what I would be inclined to do!

17. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

You do have choices! Isn’t it playing in different theatres? I need to get a pr job there....

mrjinks likes this.
  18. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Well, up until it fell apart they were indeed getting powerful. However, how many people, really, do they have left? People being people, the majority very likely got very angry the first time they showed up and couldn’t use it, and surely cancelled. A huge percentage that gave them another chance likely bailed at strike two. It’s hard for me to imagine, coupled with all the bad press, that it is anything but a shell of what it was as far as menbers, and likely not enough now to concern the big chains. Pure speculation on my part, but if they have to disclose numbers at some point that will give us a rough idea. Still something sexy about the whole idea of it, and for some reason I find it fascinating to watch. Without my money in it of course! Curious to see if Chris gets his three a month. Still worth it if so, but I don’t like the russian roulette aspect.

mrjinks and snowman872 like this.
  19. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Well, it isn’t like there will be anything to get. Just a waste of time really, though I do think the idea of a lawsuit is deserved, imo only of course. This isn’t even close to what people signed up for, which as a business owner makes this fascinating for me to watch. I would never in a million years get away with this. Mark my words, they won’t either but they won’t be around long enough for anyone to benefit from a lawsuit.

mrjinks likes this.
  20. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

21. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

22. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

so checking in to see if we can see Christopher robin today as advertised(the only day for the foreseeable future). it is currently on the app but only the matinee which I can't do as a working stiff and the late night one which might be hard to stay awake in (working stiff). so if this is gonna be the pattern now I will be out after a month. not any movie any time but some movies at inconvenient times. we will see if tomorrow everything is peak pricing cause I am still on the old plan for another week...

I also see mile 22 is bordered in red so is that the latest terrible movie that they will take under there wing like they did with slenderman?

23. snowman872

I believe there is a Studio Movie Grill in your area. All the movies are showing there with eticketing.

MP has a equity partnership with this growing movie chain.

24. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I'm headed out to see The Miseducation of Cameron Post at the Tivoli.

Wish me luck!

snowman872 and RayS like this.
  25. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I have twelve theatres in a semi-reasonable driving area, including one “art house” cinema (indie/foreign), a few discount houses (movies out for a few months already) and the rest first-run theatres. Those 12 theatres have a combined 124 screens. Moviepass’ website is listing seven films I can see for the coming week (not the same seven each day, though five of the seven are constant, offered each day).

For each day, those five “constant” films have not yet opened here, in any of the theatres - one of them opens two weeks from today at the art-house cinema.

There are no “e-ticketing” theatres in this area.

This helps build camaraderie amongst card holders, because it conveniently limits us to the other two films, where we can run into one another and build new friendships.

Jrr, Shawn, Oatsdad and 1 other person like this.