MoviePass Drops to $9.95 a Month For a Movie a Day

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by RayS, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Jrr and mrjinks like this.
  2. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

my better business post went nowehere with sinemia put in a credit card dispute hopefully that comes through. still would advise not doing business with those criminals.

3. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Well, maybe Sinemia is capable of bettering their system, after all (?). Just got an email with a handful of "improvements":
    • Physical cards will be back, "by next week" and we can "avoid all online ticket fees" by using the card at the box office.*
    • "Cardless" will now have a unique number, per consumer. Previously it generated a one-time use number, which was a pain to use (you had to save it, for example, to Atom tickets, use it, then replace it next time you used Atom).
    • They've apparently integrated with 3rd party ticket purchasers to ease the process (coming in December).
    They also claim to have beefed up their (non-existent?) customer service and improved their app with some much-needed features.

In the absence of a dedicated "Sinemia" thread, I'll keep posting here with updates...

*Note: they don't say the cards are free - we'll see if they charge to order them!

Shawn, RayS and Chris DeVoe like this.
  4. Chris DeVoe

5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

MP and Sinemia seem to both be run by clowns!

A-List seems to generate very few customer complaints - I'm sure they're out there, but it appears to go smoothly for most customers...

6. Chris DeVoe

Shockingly MoviePass just allowed me to check in on an AMC film. Hopefully the money will still be on the card by the time I get to the theater. Wish me luck!

It worked! Ok, it only got me a ticket to The Nutcracker and the Four Realms, but still...

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
  7. Oatsdad

That's a Pyrrhic victory if ever I heard one...

8. Chris DeVoe

I snatched victory from the jaws of defeat by going to the auditorium next door which was showing Ralph Breaks the Internet.

Jrr likes this.
  9. Oatsdad

That was a good call. Not a great movie, but entertaining, and almost certainly better than "Nutcracker"....

10. Chris DeVoe

I really liked Ralph Breaks The Internet. A lot of hilarious in-jokes in addition to the ones for everyone.

11. Oatsdad

Yeah, it's an entertaining movie. Not "A"-level from Disney, but a good 110 minutes or so.

"Princesses" scene was the best part - especially when
    Merida goes off in a thick Scottish brogue! :laugh:

I was also really pleased that every living "princess" reprised her role - no soundalikes outside of the actors who've passed away...

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  12. mrjinks

One side note: as has been mentioned, you can buy advance tickets from Facebook (search “movies” and you should get a purchase link) and avoid online fees. I’ve been using Atom tickets. The reason I mention it is Atom has a deal running through the end of the year: buy four tickets and you’ll get a free ticket (also with no fee). Pretty cool for those of us who see a fair number of movies...

13. mrjinks

Sure enough, the fine folks at Sinemia have brought back their card ... and they’ll charge you $15 to order one!

https://lifehacker.com/you-probably-dont-want-sinemias-new-debit-card-1830728397

14. Chris DeVoe

Now they're just being mean. Here's my only cinema option:

[​IMG]

mmars982 likes this.
  15. Chris DeVoe

Actually, most of the theater chains waive fees if you belong to their loyalty program - and you really should be in their loyalty program if you're watching a large number of movies. So if my wife had Sinemia, paid $14.99 for the card, she could buy her tickets ahead of time via AMC's Stubs A-List app and not pay anything.

Her goal is to be able to see a film every night, if at all possible.

AMC Stubs A-List costs her $19.95/month for three films a week.
    That covers Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

If she gets Sinemia, she pays $23.99/month for seeing a movie every weekday. If she includes the "Membership fee" of $29.99 and pays for the card at $15, she's paying a lot up front, but is not risking hundreds.
    Her Stubs membership covers the ticketing fee.

16. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

17. mrjinks

18. Chris DeVoe

Where did you find this link?

Edit to add: Don't bother, I found it at the bottom of the home page.

19. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

All 3 plans are still limited to 3 movies a month - they don't exactly go out of their way to make that clear.

20. Chris DeVoe

The plan they are currently offering is 3 films. Lower on the page it says:

Coming soon in 2019, you can choose a plan that matches your movie-going experience.

...and the graphic mrjinks posted.

21. mrjinks

Yes, but if you read the articles posted (like the one by @mmars982 above), ALL plans are limited to 3 movies/month. Here's another article: MoviePass will launch three new subscription plans in January

I suspect the "cheap" option will be like the current one, where you only get to see their limited range of choices (6-8 films, where only half might be playing in your area). The middle range will be three films, but good at any theatre (any 2d film). And the top option will give you an Imax/3d flick, too...

22. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

well my long national nightmare with sinemia my finally be over. just off the phone with chase who are providing me a partial refund for the months not honored. I suppose sinemia could challenge me which would be interesting but hopefully I can just put it behind me. this is my first time ever disputing a charge anyone know does the merchant challenge often?

but will I succumb to this new temptation from movie pass...

23. Jeff Edwards

Jeff Edwards Senior Member

Please notice that the new plans are currently only offered annually and you have to let them take the money out of your bank account, not from a credit card.

No refunds and they can change the terms any time they want. You agree to that when you sign up.

Hard pass.

24. Chris DeVoe

That was exactly what it was before when I got my year long pass 50 weeks ago.

25. Jeff Edwards

Jeff Edwards Senior Member

I was able to buy annual passes for my children with a credit card.

They must have had a problem with charge backs that they don't intend to have again.

If you look at the disclaimer page, you'll notice an abundance of language saying "no refunds". The problem is that we now know you're buying a pig in a sack.