Movies You Love That No One Else Does.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by wayneklein, Nov 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mozz

mozz Forum Resident

"Time Bandits" is very appreciated among me and my fellows.

"1941", on the other hand....

Brenald79 likes this.
  2. mozz

mozz Forum Resident

Lots of Carpenter fans out here. How great¡¡¡

3. Miriam

Miriam Forum Resident

The Informers (2008) I think it's better than the book, I don't like Bret Easton Ellis.

4. mozz

mozz Forum Resident

A favourite of mine, watched it when it was released, and it is very seldom seen nowadays

5. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

Shaolin Soccer...only seems to be me and my daughter that like it! :)

Rhapsody In Red and Chris DeVoe like this.
  6. I love Baron Munchausen!

7. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

add two more to the list. I imagine it as a long dream that someone who's a genius has. It blends silliness, irrationality with concepts and deeper ideas. Showed it to the wife and she made me put some parts back on for her afterwards. If it's ever on TV, it's a sure fire way to get her to stop what she's doing.

8. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I haven't watched the entire The Adventures Of Baron Munchausen but I liked what I saw. I didn't consider it a bad movie in the least and I have on my to-watch list (part of a more than 200 movies to watch list). I'm adding movies based on what is mentioned it this thread since if someone likes it it must have something to recommend it.

9. deredordica

deredordica Music Freak

Boom! (1968) seems to be universally hated, but I love it.

10. wayneklein

wayneklein Forum Fool Thread Starter

To be fair, yes, David Lynch lost final cut but he had control throughout shooting with the exception of the fact that he was told it had to be a certain length (under 2 hr. 15 min) because it was presold (so by a certain date it had to be completed within a certain time as well). I know Lynch wasn't pleased with the situation nor shooting in Mexico but he did have full control over the shooting.

11. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

When I saw it in the theatre it was sold out and the audience was aggressively enthusiastic. Everyone loved it. But apparently only everyone in that one screening in that one theatre here in this one city. I was convinced it would be a huge hit and then it just died a fast and brutal death. Really not sure why. It got some critical traction a bit later when Criterion issued it as a deluxe laserdisc.

12. Remington Steele

Remington Steele Forum Resident

Johnny Dangerously.
    Ghosts Of Mars.
    Mystery Men.
    Enter The Ninja.
    Lone Wolf McQuade.
    No Holds Barred.
    Innocent Blood.
    Weiner Dog.

Many people I know say "are you serious" when I mention enjoying films like these but we now live in a time where the film Guardians Of The Galaxy is a hit and many people in past years would scoff at what that film is like.

13. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I like the movie Innocent Blood and was disappointed to find out that it was only available on DVD in pan-and-scan. I need to check to see if a widescreen version has been released.

Chris DeVoe and Remington Steele like this.
  14. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Street Kings (2008). Crime thriller directed by David Ayer (Training Day) staring Keanu Reeves, Forest Whitaker, and Hugh Laurie.

15. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Light Of Day...Starring Joan Jett and Michael J. Fox!

Pete Puma likes this.
  16. arley

arley Forum Resident

Someone mentioned the 2006 remake of The Wicker Man. I never saw it, because IMHO remakes are rarely as good as the original. The 1975 original with Edward Woodward and Christopher Lee was brilliant and intense, one of my favorite movies. It's classified as a horror movie, but I think it's more accurately described as suspense. Lee once mentioned it was his favorite role.

Another remake dud was The In-Laws. The original Peter Falk/Alan Arkin was hysterical (I especially liked Richard Libertini as the banana-republic dictator with a Senor Wences fetish and a soft spot for black velvet paintings of buxom nudes), but the Michael Douglas/Albert Brooks redo was far inferior.

One movie that didn't do well commercially was Tune In Tomorrow. I loved it. Based on Mario Vargas Llosa's Aunt Julia and the Scriptwriter, it has Keanu Reeves smitten with an older woman (Barbara Hershey), their lives complicated by radio scriptwriter Pedro Carmichael (Peter Falk) whose scripts always involve nefarious Albanians doing disgusting things.

A serious movie that I thought was excellent but got panned was The Mambo Kings. Great soundtrack, by the way.

Last edited: May 16, 2017
    SandAndGlass and Pete Puma like this.
  17. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

No way!

18. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Anyone seen 'The Music Of Chance'? I love that film. Nobody that I haven't recommended it to has ever heard of it. The couple of times I've lent out the DVD, I've had negative comments come back.

Whatever Works [plus loads of other Woody films that everybody hates on!]

Bad Lieutenant

Everything Terence Malick has done since and including Tree Of Life

Mechanical Man likes this.
  19. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Bad Lieutenant is great! Very disturbing but well done! Not really a date night flick though.

20. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Nacho Libre...starring Jack Black. Awful movie....but I like it!

skisdlimit and vegafleet like this.
  21. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yea, she's quite special...

22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

LOL...most def not for children! Indeed...

fuzzface likes this.
  23. arley

arley Forum Resident

I agree that it's a good movie, but I can't help but be disappointed that they chose to leave out the iconic final line, arguably the best 'last line' in American literature:

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

I mean, it just doesn't get any better than that.

24. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I'm not a big movie guy, but I've always loved House 2 and Pass The Ammo.

25. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

"Virtuosity". Well, okay I suppose it might have a bit of a cult following but most people thought it was pretty formulaic and stupid which I guess it is, but I also think it's a lot of fun. :) Ditto "Hackers".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.