Mozart 225: The New Complete Edition contains 200 CDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by masswriter, Sep 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben in Colorado

Ben in Colorado Forum Resident

Many Amazon and other retailers are either back ordered or have Nov 3rd as in stock dates.
    I bought mine from importcds, arriving today, and they are now back ordered.
    I wonder if the demand was greater than they thought, or if they were only given small quantities......
    Although Amazon.com has it in stock, but the price went up 20-30 bucks since yesterday.

2. My Amazon UK order says it is released today but quotes a delivery date of 1st - 3rd November. Normally Amazon delivers on the day of release for pre-ordered items so my guess is that the stock hasn't arrived yet due to high demand and late shipping from manufacturers.

3. KevinSF

KevinSF Active Member

I noticed on most of the Amazon sites (.com, .uk, .de, etc) and even on importcds that there are two versions of the Mozart 225 being listed separately. Are they the same other than one being labeled as "imported"?

For example as of now, on importcds there is one version priced for $352.57 and an "imported" version for $392.99
    The same for Amazon.com where there is one version for $431.99 and an "imported" version for $591.12

4. Ben in Colorado

I think the difference must be in the languages. I'm going through the addition I got today from import CDs, and the books are in English. I'm thinking there might be an addition with the texts in German. But I could be totally wrong. I don't think that there is a Japanese edition, or the like. At least I haven't heard of one.

5. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

But where are Mozart's out takes?

6. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

They'll be in the Super Deluxe Edition 20th Anniversary Edition in 2036.

Gez likes this.
  7. jedstar

jedstar Well-Known Member

I hope the Isle of Wight concert is included.

SteveM likes this.
  8. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Me too. And then the much controversial "The Glockenspiel Years" to come out after this. Many want Blood On The Beethoven, but that can come out any time.

Zeki, patrickd and SteveM like this.
  9. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

When they put out the next postage stamp for "Wolfie" (as my elderly aunt calls him), they should hold a vote as to whether to use an image of the young Mozart or the old Mozart on the stamp.

Gez likes this.
  10. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

If they gave posthumous Nobel Prizes, Mozart should get the Nobel Peace Prize for raising the status of artists from servants and slaves to Masters of the Universe, spreading peace and love to everyone (in general)

11. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Mozart had a tiny Chuck Norris in his hair that did roundhouse kicks whenever he commanded.

12. It'll take me forever to rip these to a HD.

I'm in. :)

13. Ben in Colorado

Just a heads up. I was told by Decca that the 2 hardback books come in various languages, depending on the country you order the set from.
    "Just to clarify there are no versions with multiple languages.... Depending on which country you purchase in you will receive the two hardback books either in English (as you have), French, German or Japanese. Best wishes from Decca Classics."
    So it you are lookimg to find the cheapest Amazon global price, be wary that you might receive a set not in English.

Galley, ClassicalFan and Mr. H like this.
  14. ClassicalFan

ClassicalFan Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up. I've ordered my set from the Amazon UK site.

15. Ben in Colorado

I am struggling to find the best way to mange this set. It has a lift off lid that fits snuggly over the base. Because it is huge, with sets like these, I typically turn the lid over, so the opening is up, and slide the bottom down into the lid. But this set has a flat base, that extends out a centimeter on all sides, so it makes it impossible for the bottom to fit into the upturned lid.
    The box does hold four smaller CD boxes, and like the Brendel set, I could remove those, and put them on the shelf, but because this set has so much printed material, etc, i really don't want to put the big box away.
    For those of you who have the set, or have faced this issue, any suggestions? How do you manage these gargantuan boxes? o_O

16. Anyone received this yet? I'm not hopeful of ever getting a pristine copy as there are now many customer complaints directed at Amazon due to people receiving damaged boxes! Friday beckons.

17. Ben in Colorado

I have it. I ordered from importCD. Excellent condition. Presto Classical also has a low price, and they package extremely well.

18. chumlie

chumlie Forum Resident

19. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large Thread Starter

20. chumlie

chumlie Forum Resident

No marbles either.

Galley likes this.
  21. masswriter

thanks for heads up

22. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

For those asking...these are generally top-flight performances. UMG owns the greatest classical catalog ever assembled (with Sony at 2 and Warner at 3), and it seems like they've put it to good use in this box.

There are boxes like this for many other composers (generally the boxes from Brilliant Classics, which tend to be quite good), but those that came after Mozart generally didn't have the same level of productivity, so the boxes aren't as big.

I do think there's a point with boxes where the size gets essentially unmanageable, and I don't end up dipping too deeply into the box. Personal taste, of course, but boxes of 50 and above pose increasing challenges. I think that's why I'm more excited about the upcoming Pentatone quad SACD of the Grumiaux performances of the Mozart String Quintets (included in the 225 box) than for the box. It's a chance to sit down and be immersed in the performance in a way that just isn't logistically possible for a massive box set.

23. Ben in Colorado

The books are fantastic. I think the reason somebody would spend the money on a set like this is because they want more than just the music. As has been stated somewhere earlier in this thread, the second book has notes on every single piece performed.

The framable prints are of questionable value, but the K book and the access to the online material makes this set stand head and shoulders above all others.

The other Mozart set is fine, and I own that one too, however if you want the best possible performances, give or take a few here and there, then this new 225 box that is definitely the one to get.

Jayseph and ClassicalFan like this.
  24. masswriter

Well, it's ordered. I initially ordered, but then had to cancel to pay a car bill, and then we ordered it last night from Amazon.

I am really stoked . . .

25. Amazon UK are promising to deliver my copy in the next hour. I am also really stoked now......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.