Mr Ed on DVD

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Steve D., Jan 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve D.

Steve D. Forum Resident Thread Starter

Saw a Best Buy ad in the Sunday paper promoting both Green Acres and Mr Ed on DVD. The Mr Ed is selected episodes. TV Land recently ran the show each afternoon. IMO the best episodes were the ones featuring befuddled neighbor Roger Addison portrayed by Larry Keating. Certainly the guest star episodes featuring Mae West, Zsa Zsa Gabor and a very young Clint Eastwood deserve a mention. Also the first 3 seasons were sponsored by Studebaker (another of my interests) and the cars are well displayed in many scenes. Any show that can stretch a talking horse gag for 4 sesons can't be all bad.:rolleyes:

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

When I watched Mr. Ed as a kid I was most fascinated by Wilbur's wife's breasts....

3. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Gravity defying accoutrements, I must say - Wilbur was a lucky man....

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Weren't we all!:laugh: She sure was a cutie:) Come to think of it...Most breasts fasinated me back then...some still do!

5. Michael

Mr. ED ran for 6 Seasons!) 1/5/61-2/6/1966...Can't wait till the Box Set arrives. Sure wish they would have done Season Box Sets:( Oh well, Take what we can get!

6. Steve D.

A horse is a horse but Mrs. Post!

Wilbur's wife Carol was actress Connie Hines. She gave new
    meaning to the word perky. I remember her wearing a bikini in a couple of those episodes. Lucky Alan Young got more then his share of on screen lovin' with his co-star and I don't mean Mr Ed. In an interview last year on CBS Connie said "she didn't mind playing 2nd fiddle to a horse as long as she got a steady paycheck." Pretty & practical:love:

7. Steve Hoffman

Steve,

I actually remember from long ago that when I saw Wilbur's wife I maybe wouldn't mind being married. Hee, this from a little kid who didn't really like girls yet!

I also was fascinated by the way she called Wilbur "Wilba". Funny what you remember....

Attached Files:

8. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

I felt kind of the same way about my first-grade teacher.

Of course, at that age I think I tended to imagine that a wife was more a kind of substitute mother than anything else. (You can draw your own Oedipal conclusions, folks!)

9. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

Now that you mention it, Wilbur's wife was pretty hot!!!:D Though you have to wonder what she must have been thinking, marrying a guy that hangs out in a barn all day talking to a horse!!!:laugh:

10. Michael

Seems Mr. Ed has been bumped up:( I have a pre order and it was a no show...

11. Steve Hoffman

Probably 'cause they are busy colorizing the B&W episodes...

12. Michael

No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I believe it's only a week late? But who knows anythings possible...:rolleyes:

We're getting The First Season Of Kung Fu...Sliced and diced with fake Widesceen Letterbox!

What are they thinking? Geez...

13. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I don't think that the Mr. Ed set has been delayed. Amazon indicates that it has already shipped my package to me, though it hasn't yet arrived.

14. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Bikini clad wife o' Wilbur??? Pix, please!!!!

15. Jefhart

Jefhart Senior Member

It hasn't been delayed, just bought my copy at Best Buy yesterday.

Jeff

16. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

There are TWO series that ran only one year, 1963 , that I would love to see issued on DVD:

1) My Mother The Car, which everyone knows

2) "I'm Dickens, Hes Fenster" starring John astin and Marty Ingles as two inept Handymen. Immediately after this series, John Astin signed on as "Gomez Adams".

17. Michael

Thanks! I'm going to give my vendor a call back!!!...They lied:laugh:

18. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Just got my copy in today's mail. Strange that it contains 21 episodes but 13 of them are on disc one and only 8 on disc two. It's too bad that disc two isn't fully utilitized. Given that this is a compilation and not a "season" box set I'm not sure how they settled on the number of episodes provided.

By contrast the Green Acres set has 32 episodes on only two discs (almost 7 hours per disc running time, something I didn't even know was possible).

19. Boje

Boje New Member

Why the long face, Mr. Ed?:D

20. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Yeah but Wilbur and Carol Post slept in separate beds, so he couldn't have been too lucky. :D

21. Steve D.

It seems twin beds were not optional in tv's early days. Whether it was Ozzie & Harriet or Jim & Margaret Anderson, Ward & June, Wilbur & Carol or Rob & Laura they all slept solo. The first show I recollect seeing marrieds share a bed was the Brady Bunch. Of course conveniences such as toilets were still a decade away. Seems there wasn't a lot of snuggling and to many constipated couples back then.:mad:

22. Steve Hoffman

No, Steve-O. I remember seeing Ozzie & Harriet in a single bed in the Kennedy era. My parents commented about it (when they thought I wasn't listening) and my mom read somewhere that it was ok because they were married in real life. Honest!

23. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

Oliver and Lisa Douglas, 1965: One bed, no toilet, but they did show the wooden water tank and chain from a water closet. Oliver thought it was the shower!

(Currently enjoying this on DVD...):thumbsup:

24. Steve D.

Thanks guys,
    I stand corrected. Steve, no wonder your folks whispered it. The visual of Ozzie & Harriet in bed could have been very traumatic to your innocent young mind:angel:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.