Mullard 12AU7 NOS vs Reissue

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Guy Gadbois, May 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guy Gadbois

Guy Gadbois Chief Inspector Thread Starter

Is there a titanic huge sound difference between the NOS and reissue of this tube? The NOS goes for about $100 per tube, while the reissue goes for $23

2. IanL

IanL Senior Member

They have no relation to one another. The name, that's it. I have originals and they are wonderful. I would be surprised if the "reissues" (really just a new tube made in another country with the same name slapped on) even approach the beauty of genuine Mulllards.

Spsesq and Guy Gadbois like this.
  3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Why do you want a Mullard?

ssmith3046 likes this.
  4. Guy Gadbois

@IanL I am thinking of getting a pair of NOS, but I can't afford $100 per tube. Ebay has them for $25 a piece (NOS), but who knows how many hours they have on them. I don't know if they're like Telefunkens, which go forever

5. Guy Gadbois

@Steve Hoffman Because of you! Well, mostly because of you...

I just got a PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium HP and I really don't like the stock Shuguang tubes. The vocals sound a bit canned or something, like if you were to cup your hands over your mouth to speak. I had a VPI 299D (for sale here if you want it!) and didn't have the same issue.

So I swapped the EH tubes from the VPI and tried them in the PrimaLuna, and it sounds somewhat better. But I read one of your old posts and you said the Mullard is your favorite of the 12AU7.

6. IanL

IanL Senior Member

Btw, NOS Mullards have a very full, warm, and textured midrange. Rock solid bass, again, with tremendous texture and articulation. And a slightly rolled off top end, very sweet sounding. I would characterize its tonal balance just to the dark side of neutral. I used them in my DAC for quite a while (and still have them) and they did wonderful things for digital music. Gave it real flesh and bones. And a very solid bass foundation.

MisterBritt and triple like this.
  7. Guy Gadbois

@IanL I'm unemployed now, but maybe I can get a set once I'm working. They sound amazing

8. IanL

IanL Senior Member

They do last a very long time. I would contact Brent Jessee (audiotubes.com) and see if he has any "good" testing pairs in your price range. Sometimes he has off-brand stuff too that were made in the same factory and sound exactly the same for a lot less. There are other reputable dealers (I bought my Mullard 12AU7s from Upscale Audio) but often all they have are NOS and you are going to pay a premium for those.

Mr Bass, G E and Spsesq like this.
  9. Guy Gadbois

@IanL Thanks for the tip!

IanL likes this.
  10. timind

timind phorum rezident

You're unemployed and you just got a $4000 amp? And you have a $4000 amp on hand?

Where's that head scratching emoji when I need it?

SKean and Daddy Dom like this.
  11. timind

timind phorum rezident

NOS means "new old stock" and should mean, never been used.

The best (or my favorite) NOS tubes are mil spec tubes. If you're looking for 12AU7 tubes, the military spec tube would be a 12AU7WA. And if it's NOS it should come in a little white box with the Federal Stock Number on it. The first 4 numbers of the FSN are 5690 if memory serves.

12. Spsesq

Spsesq Forum Resident

I have a Rouge Audio Cronos Magnum and I rolled the original tube for exactly that, a NOS Mullard cv 4003 (12au7) and it warmed up the entire soundstage. I am no expert but I called rogue before I rolled the tube and they told me what to expect and what not to. Then I contacted Upscale Audio in California and they answered a whole bunch of questions I had. I am running KEF LS50 speakers and no subwoofer. The Mullard accentuated the highs without distorting the high hats and cymbals and helped out a bit on the bass end keeping the midrange alone. I am glad I got it. I got mine cryogenically treated. Honestly I don't know if it made a difference but the link below is for $95.00.

Mullard CV4003 / 12AU7 Vintage New Old Stock

Best of luck,
    Steve

13. innocent_bystander

innocent_bystander Forum Resident

Did you just changed the middle 12AU7 or all three of them?

Guy Gadbois likes this.
  14. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

When it comes to modern tubes, the term "Reissue" is a flat out lie. The only thing in common between a real U.K. Mullard and a Russian "Reissue" is that they both have glass on the outside and stuff on the inside. Should be a law against this.

15. Spsesq

Spsesq Forum Resident

After speaking with both Rogue and Upscale Audio the only tube that needed to be rolled was the middle 12au7.

innocent_bystander likes this.
  16. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

So you're going to enact a law against marketing a commodity are you.:wtf: Nowhere does New Sensor Corporation mention that they are producing an exact copy of the original Mullard 12AU7 AFAICT.

jeff

DrZhivago likes this.
  17. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

Haven't heard these, but i've very happy with my reissue quad of Genalex Gold Lion KT88's.

But what do i know? I'm just using my ears. :shrug:

TerryO, MisterBritt and Guy Gadbois like this.
  18. Guy Gadbois

I didn't pay $4000 for either. Got great deals on both

timind likes this.
  19. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

Of course I have no intention of enacting a law prohibiting the sale of vacuum tubes. I was referring to the advertising. IMHO, New Sensor purchased the Mullard trademark merely for brand marketing purposes with no real intention of creating an authentic reproduction or reissue of the original. The fact that people question if the original and reissue are similar, suggests that marketing an item as a "reissue" when it is far from that, is simply misleading.

Interesting reading: Mullard ECC83 (12AX7) Reissue vs Original – A Physical Comparison

oregonalex, Gumboo and Spsesq like this.
  20. IanL

IanL Senior Member

T'mershi Duween and Guy Gadbois like this.
  21. Guy Gadbois

Just got a set of Amprex - made in Great Britain - for $70 on eBay. Same thing as Mullard

22. Spsesq

Spsesq Forum Resident

I am glad you got a pair you're happy with, but they are not the same thing as NOS Mullards CV 4003 12au7's.

23. Guy Gadbois

I dint know. I got a buddy who has heard both and said they're pretty much the same

24. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Get a new buddy.

Slimwhit33, gfong, HiFi Guy and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.