Murder By Numbers - The Police

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AFOS, Oct 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Demolition Man

Demolition Man Forum Resident

Oh I agree that Sting did drive them to their success. But it would have been nice that he would of been more open sometimes to better material that it seemed like Andy and Stewart were trying to provide. I mean I'd take a song like "Someone To Talk To" over "Mother" any day of the week.

2. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I know "Mother" gets a lot of criticism, but I really like it. Both songs are great.

bicyclops and AlienRendel like this.
  3. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

The original CD released in Japan under catalog number 38XB-2 also lacks "Murder by Numbers". It looks like this:

[​IMG]

A second Japanese issue under the same catalog number has "Murder By Numbers". It looks like this:

[​IMG]

4. serge

serge Forum Resident

Love both Mother and Murder by Numbers... I'd rather take off Walking in your footsteps if I had to take something off..

AlienRendel and J_D__ like this.
  5. Black Widow

Black Widow Forum Resident

Hell, I'd be perfectly happy with three minutes of dead air in place of Mother. :agree:

mr._mojo_filter and Bill Mac like this.
  6. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

I've always been a fan of "Mother", partly because it relieves the pop gloss that much of the album has.

bicyclops and intv7 like this.
  7. Demolition Man

Demolition Man Forum Resident

I never knew there was any CD pressings without "Murder By Numbers" until now. Thanks for the info KeithH.

8. squonkduke

squonkduke Forum Resident

Which 12'' single?
    The only one i know of that includes Murder By Numbers is the USA 12'' promo of Wrapped Around Your Finger, but it runs at 33.1/3

9. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Yes, that's the one I have. And running at 33rpm delivers superb sound on a 12" single.

10. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Owned vinyl first and "Tea In The Sahara" is an amazing song and set closer, so the b-side always seemed out of place and jarring to me on cd.

11. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

That was written on his drum heads from 1980-1982.

12. NotebookWriter

NotebookWriter Forum Resident

Prior to the release of Synchronicity, there were two songs in heavy rotation where I lived: Every Breath You Take and Murder By Numbers. I was quick to snap up a copy of the album on vinyl when it arrived. Much to my disappointment, Murder By Numbers was nowhere to be heard. When I found out that it was on the cassette, I took the record back, and they allowed me to make the exchange. I still like Murder By Numbers better than almost anything on the album itself.

At first I gritted my teeth during Mother in order to get to the remaining songs on that side. I listened to that album so many times that I eventually came to accept Mother as a perverse joke. Now, it doesn't even seem that outrageous.

It's an example (perhaps an extreme one) of how pre-digital media made it more likely that I'd give certain tracks several chances. Sure, I could have fast-forwarded through songs or lifted the tonearm, but I almost never did. I'm not saying I don't relish the ability to skip songs or delete them entirely. I just can't help thinking that there were a lot of songs that I grew to appreciate through "forced" repetition.

13. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

I like the song, but it sounds rather thin, at least on the original A&M cd. A perfect example of crappy early digital. The bit of bass guitar at the very end sounds like a kid playing a $50 bass through a $50 amp. But I like the jazzy guitar chords and Stewart Copeland's contribution.

14. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Agreed about mother:righton:

15. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Excellent point! As for Murder by Numbers, I was somewhat surprised as well it didn't make the cut.

16. ginchopolis

ginchopolis Forum Resident

Ah, the days when records were concise. 45 minutes and out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.