Murder Most Foul - New Bob Dylan Song- #1 hit!*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerryb, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Old Fart At Play

Old Fart At Play He won't eat it, he hates everything

What I really want to know is the significance of his whiteface during the Rolling Thunder Review having been inspired by Gene Simmons. There is MUCH more to it than just simply having been inspired by Gene Simmons. Most likely it has something to do with Judaism, but I haven't been able to decipher exactly how.

2. Pussycat

Pussycat (=^•.•^=)~*

I'm not going to pick anyone out personally unless I reply to them, but since you asked it's the Bob believes in JFK CTs thing that will now be debated by people until forever...

3. unfunkterrible

unfunkterrible Forum Resident

To me , it sounds more like an omniscient narrator , a voice not a mind...

4. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

I posted this Kesey quote elsewhere the other day. Not sure why I’m compelled to post it here but i am anyway...
    The answer is never the answer. What's really interesting is the mystery. If you seek the mystery instead of the answer, you'll always be seeking. I've never seen anybody really find the answer. They think they have, so they stop thinking. But the job is to seek mystery, evoke mystery, plant a garden in which strange plants grow and mysteries bloom. The need for mystery is greater than the need for an answer."

5. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

If one wants to know if Bob is a JKF conspiracy-theory believer, one ought to ask Bob, "are you a JKF-CT believer?" and then see if he answers the question, or wait until Mr. Dylan offers a statement explaining what he personally believes in regard to the matter.

Otherwise, all is mere speculation.

The Revealer likes this.
  6. unfunkterrible

The strategy of the song needs this , gradually the amount of popular culture references outnumbers the allusions to the assassination as if burying them
    in the collective consciouness ..

7. summerteeth

summerteeth Subterranean Homesick Alien

When it feels like it's gettin' near the end,
    Have the DJ play you some music... R&B, Folk, Jazz, Gospel, Soul, Country, Rock, Pop... 'doesn't matter.
    Oh, and at the very last, have him play Murder Most Foul.

Lewisboogie and The Revealer like this.
  8. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

this is the funniest thing ive read all day lol

9. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

At times it's that, but not as distant from what the voice narrates as is usual, not as objective. And something changes in the long fourth verse. All those imperatives don't fit so well with a distanced, omniscient narrating voice. He seems too in the midst of it to me. I used "mind" because of the associative, inward feel of the whole thing, but there is a public face in there, too. I'm not sure what to make of that doubleness.

L.

unfunkterrible likes this.
  10. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

:laugh:

11. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

?

voles likes this.
  12. unfunkterrible

But it´s an ancient voice( or presents itself as such) , does not need to justify its objectivity , its truthfulness... I think

The Revealer likes this.
  13. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

I'm with you but you're not answering me.

14. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

This is what I had in mind.

[​IMG]

Isn't it Ferry Cross The Mersey..not mercy?

15. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

FWIW, Drad thinks JUST like most con theorists I know, who think that if they can get you to admit "conspiricies exist or have existed!" that that is sufficient proof that "this thing I'm talking about is a conspiracy!"

Similarly, he thinks the fact that Dylan being a put on artist IS a reality at times (tho, of course, outnumbered about 100 to 1 by Dylan being a sincere serious artist) is sufficient proof that THIS is a puton (when combined with his not WANTING Bob to be a CT re JFK).

FWIW also, one needn't believe Dylan the Man is a CT believer; but the SONG is deeply, deeply embedded in it, and the SONG is a CT believer, or can't be made sense of without being embedded in JFK CT mentality and knowledge.

Lewisboogie, The Revealer and asdf35 like this.
  16. EDLIS Café

EDLIS Café Forum Resident

As Mark Lane was a personal friend of Bob Dylan's he would be very likely to have read the book and be familiar with the ideas.

Bob Dylan (rear corner wearing shades) and Mark Lane (also wearing shades) at the wedding of Lori and Gil Turner, 1962.

Photograph courtesy of Joe Alper. [​IMG]

17. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

So, I’ve only had one complete listening of the whole song, having “stumbled upon” this three days after everyone else here!

Oh, it’s a work of genius, all right! Just the assembling of all the references is, well, a work of a titanic artist!

Hard to say anything coherent about it now, I’m completely overwhelmed.

As the Rolling Stone mag said, we’ll be picking this apart for years!

David

18. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

Can you explain what you mean? I do think it's a put on. But why is a put on brilliant? Because it's so unexpected?

If the song is to be considered brilliant in it's madness because it's a string of cliches, I'm taking leave of the CW.

Also how would such a song be described as both a put on string of cliches and a consideration of serious aspects of the killing or US culture?

19. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

It's not about Bob at all. Can you imgine him in this thread?

voles and Crimson Witch like this.
  20. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

The dumb is getting so bad in here it hurts

21. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

Great album. I'd say in the top 5 of 1964. Rock fans should not overlook this one:
    [​IMG]

Just imagine what a serious Dylan devotee could do with Supercalifragilistic Etc.

22. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Oh, I think Bob Dylan takes himself eminently seriously as a writer, and a musical artist. He’s been a serious person since, well way before 1962. Anyone who fails to understand this had best just go back to the drawing board. Bob’s won the freaking Nobel Prize, for literature, for cryin’ out loud. He’s coming up on a 60 year career at this. It’s no joke, pally.

Now of course, Bob has a great sense of humor, and he enjoys Masks!

— A. Pismo Clam

23. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

That’s akin to arguing that we avoid talking about the civil rights movement while discussing Blowing In The Wind, that we avoid talking about Suze Rotolo while discussing Ballad In Plain D, or that we avoid talking about Rubin Carter while discussing Hurricane. When a song is so clearly about something, it’s difficult to avoid discussing that thing. If Dylan explicitly namechecks Dealey Plaza, the Zapruder film, and Oswald and Ruby, listeners are going to talk about those topics.

24. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

What makes you say this particular narrating voice is "ancient?" I get that the idea of such a voice is an ancient one, and that there are such voices in some very ancient texts (often in the form of an inspired bard or storyteller), but this one seems contemporary with the decades of popular history he refers to (although I suppose you could say that he sounds like someone who is heavily aware that he has has outlived all its past moments).

L.

25. drjohncarpenter

drjohncarpenter Forum Resident

I've already posted this in the conversation, you missed it.

I don't suggest a "conspiracy theory," I cite a conspiracy FACT, delivered by the U.S. Congress in 1979.

Other the other hand, you are (perhaps unwittingly) perpetuating the lie.

Any question of conspiracy was settled as an official truth by the House Select Committee on Assassinations (HSCA) on January 2, 1979:

The scientific evidence available to the committee indicated that it is probable that more than one person was involved in the President's murder. That fact compels acceptance. And it demands a re-examination of all that was thought to be true in the past.

Further, the committee's investigation of Oswald and Ruby showed a variety of relationships that may have matured into an assassination conspiracy. Neither Oswald nor Ruby turned out to be "loners," as they had been painted in the 1964 investigation. Nevertheless, the committee frankly acknowledged that it was unable firmly to identify the other gunman or the nature and extent of the conspiracy.

- HSCA Report, p. 180
    showDoc.html

Read more.