Music Hall 7.3 or 5.3 TT

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Methodical, May 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Methodical

Methodical Forum Resident Thread Starter

Lately, I've been thinking of upgrading my turntable (Denon DP-300F w/Ortofon Red connected via Rega Fono Mini A2D Phono Preamp). The Music Hall 5.3 and 7.3 caught my eye. My budget is up to $1500. I never thought I'd be in the market for such a high priced TT, but here I am. I just need some help as I will live with this purchase for a long time.

For reference, I like my music somewhat bright, along with good bass and like to hear nice crisp musician voices as well as instruments. I listen to all genre of music, but jazz, soul, funk and R&B dominates. My system performs dual duties (HT and Music). Just so you know, I have a 31 band EQ in my system that I used to shape the sound to my liking. Below is a list of my equipment. I also included a photo of my setup, if that helps.

I've been comparing these TT and from what I see, the only major difference seems to be the cartridges and the design; they both have the carbon fiber arm and the dual-plinth design, but I'm not sure if the 7.3 arm is of higher quality than the 5.3. So, what I was thinking is since it doesn't appear to be major differences (or is it), I could purchase the 5.3, experiment with the Ortofon Blue cartridge and if I am not satisfied, I can purchase the bronze, which would put the cost just below the 7.3. Or, is the 7.3 really $500 way ahead of the 5.3 in quality? What really are the differences between these two TT? I have read some mixed reviews when it comes to these TT with the Blue/Bronze cartridges.

Help me understand why I should probably go with the higher priced unit or not.

Equipment:

Denon X4300H l Mono 7 amp l Behringer FBQ3102 EQ l Polk LSiM 707s l Polk LSiM 706c l Polk FXi-30 (x4) l Infinity ERS-610 (x4) - Atmos l SVS PB-2000 l Polk PSW 505 (temp) l Oppo BD-93 l Denon CD player l Denon DP-300F TT l Rega Fono Mini A2D Phono Preamp l Cassette Deck.

Thanks for your time...Al

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  2. vinylbuff

vinylbuff Forum Resident

I looked earlier today and Soundstage Direct (Seth is a member here) has a Music Hall 7.1 for $499. I think it said certified used, no cartridge, but allows you the Bronze cart. and saves you some $$$.
    (Just a thought)

Cyclone Ranger likes this.
  3. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

I would buy that 7.1 (I have one), get a Hana SL cart and a phono stage that can handle a low output MC cart.

You could do that under budget and be set for a long time.

4. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

If you were to buy the 7.1 you could also get a Pro-Ject Speed Box S for $129. On the 7.3 the Speed Box is a built in feature.

I've had an MMF-7 with an MC cart for 14 years and like the table very much.

5. Methodical

Thanks for the input. I will look into the 7.1.

6. TerryB

TerryB Forum Resident

I'll back them up, that 7.1 looks like a screaming deal.

7. Methodical

Quick question. I am a bit confused. These TT state that they are 33 and 45, but I don't see how to switch between the 2 speeds on the 7.1. I noticed the 7.3 has an on/off switch and a switch to change speeds. Also, what is the difference/benefit of an AC vs. DC motor? My limited research shows that motors have something to do with speed accuracy, but wanted to hear from you'll on this also. Can you please enlighten me on this?

Thanks...Al

8. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

Buy that 7.1, that is a SCREAMING steal...better jump b4 it is gone! Also the 7.1 motor has dual wheel you have to move the belt....Buy the MH Cruise Control for $299 (or cheaper) and you change speed with push button, plus you get really accurate speed control. That is the setup I have, even though on testing the 7.1 motor holds speed respectfully. I also upgraded my arm from the 9c to the 9cc and will never look back.

Essentially I built a 7.3 before they came out. The 7.3 motor is DC and has built in speed control and push button 33/45 option, you cannot use the Cruise Control with the 7.3 motor because it is DC.

I have had my 7.1 setup for awhile, have heard different tables at easily dbl and more the price and nothing has come close........

9. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

I'd be curious to know how the Music Hall 7.3 stacks up against the heavyweights of its price point, aka the new Rega Planar 3 or the Clearaudio Concept.

10. Catcher10

I thought this was a pretty good review of the 7.3....Not many people like Music Hall due to Roy Hall, but I found him very helpful and attentive when I had questions on my TT. He always answered my questions via email within a day if not sooner. I always tell the story when I was setting up my table on a Saturday, had a question, sent an email not expecting an answer till Monday.....he replied in less than 30 minutes!!

Music Hall mmf-7.3 Stereophile Review

11. dolsey01

dolsey01 Forum Resident

Having briefly owned the Concept as well as the MMF-7, I'd take the Marantz TT15-S1 over either any day, it's cheaper than the Concept, has a better tonearm, comes with a $800 cartridge and has a quieter motor and heavier platter and better feet (Than the Concept). I had the TT15S1 for a year or so and I would have no problem owning one again. The ONLY downside is Marantz's support SUCKS. But, since most of the parts are the same as the CA Emotion, you can deal with Musical Surroundings for replacement parts and service.

Compared to the new Music Hall 7.3, it's allot closer of a match since the 7.3 comes with the 2M Bronze, Carbon arm and now has speed box built in. I had a P3-24 and Rega just wasn't my thing.

There is just so much competition at that price point and I guess that's great for the consumer.

I'd also add the GEM Dandy Polytable at that price point if someone wants a table that has a detachable headshell to swap cartridges.

I also received great support from Roy Hall on Music Hall tables that were long out of warranty. No huge markup on parts either like some other vendors.

Cyclone Ranger likes this.
  12. Methodical

Just an FYI. I spoke with Seth just a few moment ago and explained my situation and he recommended the Rega RP6 (on sale now) as a better alternative to this unit that would better satisfy my listening style. What do you'll think?

Thanks

13. Catcher10

My two big issues with Rega tables.
    1) Tonearms are not azimuth adjustable, which is deal-breaker for me. Higher end carts with shibata, line contact type stylus require azimuth adjustment to get all they can do out of them.
    2) Rega motors are reported to be on the faster side of play speed.

From an aesthetic perspective I want more eye-candy than what Rega offer on their TT, but that is a personal view, the other two are also if these don't matter in grand scheme of things.
    No beef with Rega, I own a pr of their new RX5 speakers in walnut.

Make sure you do your homework..have fun!

Methodical likes this.
  14. Davey

Davey NP: Broadcast ~ The Noise Made by People (2000 LP)

I saw there is a Marantz for sale on the AVS forum, the guy just dropped it to $900 today, says about 2 years old and like new, includes US shipping. If someone is interested, Id ask him to post a front view closeup of the cartridge, because the stylus looks a little tweaked in the view posted, but may just be the angle. No affiliation, just looks like a pretty good deal if in the shape he claims, they are $1500 new.

15. Methodical

Wow, it's funny you posted this. I read a couple reviews after posting this and those were some of the things that were pointed out. I saw some of the suggestion folks had to deal with the speed issue and I thougth there is no way in hell I will spend that kind of money and have to rig it, so off the list it went, plus like you I want some eye candy, too. Hell, I almost just ordered the 2017 VPI Scout and called it a day, but calmed down. Now that's some eye candy to me. Man, just so much to choose from and consider.

Last edited: May 31, 2017
  16. Cyclone Ranger

Yeah, there's lots of choices in this price range, but, most importantly, there's lots of good choices.

So, it's likely that whatever you buy, it won't be a dud. So it's a good thing. :)

17. Methodical

I'm starting to dig the VPI Prime Scout. I dig its style. Funny, how my price range has crept up. Oh well, you only live once. Just doing some research and reading what I can about all this stuff and getting educated. One thing for sure, I will be getting a new TT.

18. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

Well.....if you're doing your research on the Prime Scout ($2199).....also take a look at the Music Hall 9.3 (2395) without cart ($2199)....that's the real sleeper in that price range. No one talks about it, Roy Hall and his ways, being a down to earth salty dog who likes to throw back Single Malt Whisky has a lot to do with that.....but his products and the performance of the 9.3 is above its price point.....plus you get better isolation and no play back noise....a completely decoupled DC motor. And you get built in electronic speed control as well. Oh and the motor is completely on the opposite corner from the cartridge so no vibrations whatsoever reaches the stylus. I mean, with the triple plinth, decoupled motor and being opposite the cartridge, you have no vibrations, reverberating or smearing of the sound at all. And on top of that....Roy throws in an $800 ($795) MC Cart as well. And the cart is no slouch! And you get a dust cover.....the VPI doesn't have the level of Isolation, nor a dust cover and some have been known to have a little resonance. And on top of that....the 9'3 is a very nice sounding table above its purchase price.

Needle Doctor Reviewer
    REVIEWER COMMENTS RATING
    Doug 4/21/17: Just received and set up the 9.3
    table with the Eroica LX cartridge. The sound is incredible, layered and precise.
    I doubt that you can do better for twice the price. I have it running through a McIntosh MA7900 to B and W 802 D3 speakers.
    The table takes some careful setup but is very stable thereafter. I will update after break in but I can say that on good vinyl it just keeps getting better. 5/1/17: This is an excellent product.
    Unbelievable sound dimensionality
    and excellent build. The cartridge is worth the price alone. I have it running through
    a McIntosh MA 7900 into B and W 802 D3s. This system would show up any flaws immediately.
    Alos a very stable turntable. Requires some careful setup
    but manual is excellent. I doubt that you can do better for the price.

Also check out his review for Positive Feed back.Music Hall MMF-9.3 Turntable - Positive Feedback

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  19. Cyclone Ranger

The Prime Scout is indeed a looker. I like the organic curves. Though that eyesore VPI felt mat has to go (plain black = way better).

I'll likely be auditioning one myself in the coming weeks (along with several other contenders :)).

VPI makes good stuff. It's just a question of whether or not you like their particular 'house sound'. .

20. Methodical

Slippers, I will add the 9.3 to the research list. I like that look also - a clean sleek look and on top of that my favorite color to boot. Btw, I've never listened to a MC cartridge and from my readings, it's my understanding that it's a lower volume unit when compare to an MM unit. I need to learn more, but if you can provide some input, I'd appreciate it.

Cyclone, what do you mean by "house sound?" I hope you test it really soon.

What are the benefits/differences between the DC/AC motors? Which is better?

Thanks

21. Catcher10

For MC cart, its not lower volume but a lower output, that does need a boost to get it to line level. Your Rega Fono mini I think is only capable of accepting MM carts, so you will need either a phono preamp or SUT, to boost the output of a MC cartridge.
    NAD, Project, Music Hall offer some affordable (sub $500) MM/MC preamps.

I am not partial to DC or AC motors, I think when you read up on both there are + and - for both......VPI makes a great motor but man you pay dearly for one...

22. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

Ahhh,not that you are, but I wouldn't get all caught up in whats best between the two....after all, you're after beautiful music...but yeah you're right, they are lower in out put that can be tweaked to your liking with a phono amp...they have less noise as well.

23. Methodical

Thanks everyone. So, why would one choose a MM or MC cart?

Catcher, yeah the Rega is only MM. I figured a new phono preamp would be in the works. I figured the higher end TT would require the need for a better preamp. I guess I have to go all in at this point. I just want to make sure I don't make an expensive mistake.

24. Cyclone Ranger

There are some very good MM cartridges out there though, plus some very good high-output MC carts that will work through an MM phono stage.

It's not automatically-necessary to have a phono stage that will do low-output MC carts, unless I guess you bought a 'table that came with a such a one. Notwithstanding that, your current phono stage might be fine for quite some time.

That said, there are a few cheap-but-pretty-good phono stages such as the Schiit Mani and Musical Fidelity V90 that will do low-output-MC.

25. Methodical

Thanks. I will be researching phono preamps as part of this overall exercise to better educate myself. I don't want to get caught off guard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.