Music Hall 7.3 or 5.3 TT

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Methodical, May 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

DEMO usually means it was used on the floor as a demonstration model for sellers to maybe spin a record to show a potential buyer. If like my 7.3, it came with a cartridge setup gauge but I had my own that I use.

Enjoy it, great table for a great price......

2. Methodical

Methodical Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks^^^

3. Methodical

I received the unit and got it set up and have played about 5 albums on it and so far so good. I just need to remember that I no longer have a fully automatic TT and catch the needle at the end. Going from Ortofon Red to Blue has opened up the music with more clarity, less sibilance and more clarity in the cymbals and highs. I really like the highs and the Blue gives it to me

Below are a few images.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Sweet!! Gotta' say though, that table deserves a better cart!
    Not dissing the cart, I have one and love it....on my 2.2.....

5. kenbefound

kenbefound Forum Resident

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing but all good things in due time. If the OP likes the Ortofon sound could probably go all the way to the 2M Black with this TT. Although, if I was going to spend that kind of money on a cart would seriously consider the Dynavector 20x2L (assuming it's a good match with the 9.3 tonearm).

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
    Slick Willie likes this.
  6. Methodical

Yeah, it'll be coming.

I wasn't going to get the TT yet, although I was close to a decision, but my Moms AC died, so I need to help her, so the TT was put on hold. But, this deal popped up and at the price point I was hoping to get it for, so I had to go for it. Ironically, before I knew about the TT deal, I had just ordered the Blue because I was going to use it on the old TT (Denon DP-300f) as a stop gap until I got the new TT. So, I am using it now on the new TT as a stop gap. Timing is a mutha. Either way, this gives me time to research cartridges and phono stages more thoroughly and buying just once, hopefully. I don't want to be auditioning $1k needles like I was just buying CDs off the shelf or something. It's so much out there that I don't know about and I'd like to keep my mind open to it. I am ok for now as it's way better than what I've had and is an improvement.

Thanks

Slick Willie likes this.
  7. Catcher10

Can I suggest a MC cart if you can handle it, preamp wise. That will open up a new world of sounds with that TT and arm........Phono stage I cannot recommend the MS Phonomena II more, it is a fantastic preamp and one that you can grow with easily, tons of loading and gain options to handle any MC cart and also does MM very nicely.

Research is the best process.....Have fun, great TT!!

8. Davey

Davey NP: Jane Weaver ~ Love in Constant Spectacle (LP)

The Musical Surroundings Phonomena series is a really nice sounding preamp design, and like you say, very flexible gain and loading selections, including a limited amount of capacitance selection too. All discrete design, nice layout, actually kind of a bargain at the $750 retail price, but there are deals around if you have the time to watch and wait for them. I was watching one on ebay just recently, the Nova II battery powered version that retails for $1200, it was a UK listing for a new one starting at about $500, and wound up selling for not much above that, a, real steal at under $600, almost made me wish I needed a new preamp, so tempting, would've had to replace the transformer to use it here, but still ...

Musical Surroundings NOVA 2 battery powered phono stage | eBay

9. Catcher10

^ Very true, also with the PII you get dual-mono layout, usually only find that in 4-digit preamps. That Nova would have been tough to not buy.....

10. Methodical

Sure. Which MC cart do you suggest?

11. Catcher10

Depends on your budget, but something like an AT OC9ML/II I think can be had for around $400......I have it and think it plays well over price tag. Be careful a cart like that will get you wondering "what will more money sound like??" LOL

I am sure you will get lots of suggestions.......

12. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

Congrats! You will want to get all the performance you can out of that table. When you are able, you want to get the best cart you can....you want to make sure you get the best cables you can and not the ones that come with the table, and you may want to get a maple block to sit the table on.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
  13. Methodical

Thanks.

I already do wander what a more expensive unit will sound like, haha! I was considering the Ortofon Black, but my curiosity keeps me wandering about MC cartridges, but I don't know what the advantages are or aren't between a MM and MC cartridge. I have some research to do before I decide, that's for sure. If I know me and I do, I know I will be near the $1k range for a cartridge when it's all said and done.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
    Slick Willie likes this.
  14. Methodical

Thanks.

That is my ultimate goal. I will be ordering the Michell record clamp to start.

Michell - Reflex Record Clamp | Shop Music Direct

15. Slick Willie

16. Methodical

Nope. I was surprised, especially seeing that some of their other units have them.

17. Slick Willie

That's right, you got a demo unit?

Edit: If from MD, give them a call, they may have just left it out.

18. Methodical

Nah. The MH 9.3 and 11.1 doesn't come with the clamp, according the featured items listed on MH's website.

19. Slick Willie

Odd, I looked at the 9.3 and I don't see a threaded spindle. My 7.1 does not list it, even in the manual, but it came with one. Threaded spindle however.

20. Methodical

I noticed the 5 and 7 series has the clamp on the TT in photos on their web page, but the 2, ikura 9 and 11 series don't display the clamp. I will contact them to see if it should've come with a clamp.

Slick Willie likes this.
  21. kenbefound

^ Doubt it, as the 9.3 spindle does not look long enough to attach it. BTW, if you don't mind me asking, what is the thickness of the 9.3 platter?

22. Slippers-on

1 inch.....a smiget taller than the 7.3

kenbefound likes this.
  23. kenbefound

Thanks, curious, are the two tone arms somewhat different as well or the same?

24. Slippers-on

Here's what I don't understand and cant figure out. Both tables, the 7.3 and the 9.3 are basically the same with the 9.3 being 2 inches taller with the 3 plinths with the 7.3 having a circle cut out where the motor sits and the 9.3 has not a circle but seems like an edge of the table cut out for the motor. But when you listen to both, the performance goes up with the 9.3. Why?

25. Slick Willie

It's supposed to be about isolation. But if'n you own a 7, prob not enough benefit to bump up to the 9.

kenbefound likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.