Music Hall MMF-9

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Joe Nino-Hernes, Nov 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Nino-Hernes

Joe Nino-Hernes Active Member Thread Starter

I am going to be upgrading my turntable in the near future. I am currently looking at the Music Hall MMF-9. It is within my price range. I have read many good things about it, but I have also read some bad things about it too. Is there anyone here who has listened to this table? For the cartridge, I would most likely stick with my Shure V15VxMR.

http://www.needledoctor.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.45/it.A/id.2270/.f

2. vinyl anachronist

vinyl anachronist Senior Member

For around the same price you should check out the Nottingham Horizon, which I think is a class above the Music Hall.

3. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Just wondering... ...have you considered a used Linn LP-12 Valhalla/Ittok combo?

4. Joe Nino-Hernes

Joe Nino-Hernes Active Member Thread Starter

I have considered a used Linn LP-12, and that is my other plan if I decide against the Music Hall.

5. IanL

IanL Senior Member

I think the VPI Scout is also in the same price range. Sorry, I know you are asking for opinions on the Music Hall, but I don't have any experience listening to tables above the Rega P3. That Music Hall is a sharp looking table though.

6. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I've been looking at the Scout. Should I look at the Music Hall too?

7. Geoman076

Geoman076 Sealed vinyl is Fun!!

I have a Musichall MMF-9 and am very happy with it. This was my first "audiophile" turntable, so I have nothing to compare it to, but I like it for the following reasons:

1 - Very easy to set up.
    2 - The tonearm and stylus come already attached.
    3 - There is a bubble leveler built in, which makes it easy to level. Some people have had a problem with theirs being accurate, but mine is right on. It's easy to check anyhow.

I've had no problems :righton:

8. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

I'm extremely happy with my Scout, great sound, great price

9. visprashyana

visprashyana New Member

I would definitely recommend an American made 'table, either a VPI or Sota. They both sound better than the Music Hall, but the big difference is reliability. If this is a 'table that you plan on having for 10 years, then buy an American product that will last much longer than the Music Hall or Pro-ject. While both are great buys and sound very good, they are not built as well as a product made in the US or the UK. The problem with the UK models is the currency problem. While you might get a great 'table, the amount of money you have to pay in US dollars is much more than buying the same product made here in the US. While the Linn is a good 'table, you better be open to tons of tinkering and have someone local who can set up the 'table every time you change any mechanism within the 'table or the humidity changes. It can sound very good, but there are many drawbacks with the Linn 'table. I also think it is important to support our local merchants and manufacturers instead of companies who use cheap labor in Eastern Europe, but that's a personal bias.

10. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

Had my VPI Jr for seven years now with no problems!!!!! :)

11. FLEMKE

FLEMKE Senior Member

Did anyone say Scout?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.