Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. MilesSmiles

MilesSmiles Oenologist Thread Starter

2. JMCIII

JMCIII Music lover first, audiophile second.

I have to tell you, now having heard a test pressing, that you are gonna be BLOWN AWAY when you finally get your ears wrapped around Maiden Voyage. Ron and Kevin really out did themselves (and that's saying something from them). It may very well be the best LP Music Matters has put out (or should I say, will put out). The work on the 33 series is just outstanding, from the titles I've heard, but Maiden Voyage tops an impressive list.

3. hishou

hishou Forum Resident

any other juicy revelations on the upcoming titles?

joshm2286 likes this.
  4. alanb

alanb Senior Member

Oh nice.........
    don't need the AP one now then :)

joshm2286 and JMCIII like this.
  5. JMCIII

In my rush to listen to, and praise, Maiden Voyage, I neglected to ask. But once you hear this one, all thoughts of future releases will fly from your mind. All I want to do is listen to this LP over, and over, and over, and.......

Joti Cover, joshm2286 and mikeyt like this.
  6. johnt23

johnt23 Forum Resident

I don't see a 33rpm of Maiden Voyage on the Music Matters list. It's in the works then?

joshm2286 likes this.
  7. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Test pressings have been sent to reviewers. It's not yet available for sale.

mikeyt likes this.
  8. JMCIII

Yes. It's coming. And it'll be well worth the wait.

joshm2286 likes this.
  9. Gabe Walters

I'm guessing Robert Hutton violated a press embargo when he blogged about this several weeks ago and then quickly removed it.

10. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Do you know how many of these test pressings are sent out on a normal basis?

11. johnt23

johnt23 Forum Resident

Very exciting news. Can we expect any others that are not listed on their website's "preview list"?
    Off hand, with the release of Maiden Voyage, Music Matters will have almost covered Hancock's entire 60's BN output. The only one they'd be missing is "My Point of View". C'mon Music Matters, seal the deal!

AndriLyng, timmikid, MikeJedi and 2 others like this.
  12. Gabe Walters

No idea. We've got three sources now who claim to have heard test pressings of this record.

AndriLyng likes this.
  13. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Very cool... I will be getting the next 12 titles as well..... Can't wait Lori @ MusicMatters this morning set me up with 1st 6 coming my way on Monday and I will be getting the remaining 6 starting July 1st.... What a way to celebrate my birthday coming up June 19th.. !!! Thanks to my Dad who got me interested in Jazz and High End audio at a young age... I am going to have him over to hear these new 33 series... :) (and beer too of course) :) 25 titles woo-hoo!!!!

14. Michel Jazz

Michel Jazz Forum Resident

I'll hope they go back to release 2 albums each month...

AndriLyng likes this.
  15. JoelWat

JoelWat Forum Resident

This is excellent - to continue the journey on 33's . Count me in and I will certainly get maiden voyage (even though I have the AP).

AndriLyng likes this.
  16. Thin Man

Thin Man Forum Resident

I'm very excited about Maiden Voyage. It's one of the all time great jazz albums, IMHO.

Joti Cover and AndriLyng like this.
  17. John D.

John D. Senior Member

This is good news, now the wait to find out what other titles will be released. :cheers:

AndriLyng likes this.
  18. Gabe Walters

Music Matters still has Andrew Hill's Point of Departure for sale at the regular price, though it's for sale at an inflated price or out of stock everywhere else. Highly recommended, especially for mid-60s fans.

AndriLyng likes this.
  19. Manelus

Manelus Forum Resident

Will this new 25 records series come after the 12 currently going on?

Or it will begin now?

Any extended info?

AndriLyng likes this.
  20. Gabe Walters

There's not a lot of info yet, but sounds like it'll be the 12 titles already announced plus a further 13 titles. 25 total in celebration of Blue Note's 75th. I'd love to be wrong, though, and get a further 25 titles.

21. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

In the TAS article about Maiden Voyage the pictured master tape is for Art Blakey's Indestructible. It seems like that will be getting a 33 rpm reissue as well?

AndriLyng, johnnypaddock and hishou like this.
  22. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

I can't wait to see the new list... Indestructible is my favorite jazz album outside of A Love Supreme, but I really hope to see more titles that haven't been done yet.

AndriLyng, rob303, LavidDange and 2 others like this.
  23. Michel Jazz

I understand to promote the first 33rpm series that some classic albums would have a new release ...like Soulstation, Cool Struttin... but if they really gonna re-release other 45rpm albums from Musicmatters itself that would be a pity and a slap in the face of the 45rpm subscribers...

rob303 likes this.
  24. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Well I guess the current releases must be a "slap in the face" for AP subscribers then, I don't think it's an issue, I think that mostly these are selling to a different audience and personally I'm really hoping they do "Out To Lunch" and more Grant Green.

joshm2286 and AndriLyng like this.
  25. Michel Jazz

I agree they could do the Out Of Prints and the AP 45rpm's, but the whole serie of 113 MM albums again on 33rpm that would be a pity.
    The Blue Note catalog is over 400 albums, so there are a lot of other albums that could be remastered...

joshm2286 and abor1g like this.