Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

DLant likes this.
  2. asindc

asindc Jazzy Cyclist

Overlooked or decided the tape wasn't in good enough shape?

3. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

If you're a fan of Kenny Burrell, a real overlooked performance is his contribution to Thad Jones "detroit-new york junction" album.
    He's in fine form on this early Blue Note session.

Bryce, johnnypaddock, RiRiIII and 2 others like this.
  4. Steel City

Steel City Forum Resident

Talking of Kenny Burrell he features on This 'live' nightclub date with a jazz trio, revealed to be a faked on the Columbia compilations that have since come out, is nonetheless a great LP, maybe the best single Columbia LP from Aretha. John Hammond discovered her and just wanted great music, but the label couldn't decide if she was a show tune singer, jazz or r&b and never figured out she was all of the above and deserved her own category.

This is the most jazzy Aretha ever and if she'd wanted to concentrate on this one area of her talent, she would still be ruling it. Worth the buy just for the track “Without The One You Love”.

[​IMG]

Personnel: Aretha Franklin, vocals & piano on B1 & B4 / Teddy Harris, piano / Kenny Burrell, guitar / James “Beans” Richardson, bass / Hindel Butts, drums

Pure Pleasure Records CS 9151 - Release date: 25.08.2016

Blender, asindc, googlymoogly and 3 others like this.
  5. HappyCycler

HappyCycler Forum Resident

6. misterclean

misterclean Forum Resident

@ the MM website, Idle Moments shot up by $15 within the past 3-4 days. I was just about to place an order. :realmad: I noticed several other price increases as well.

They must have really taken a bath on some of these titles in order for them to have adopted such a shady business model so late in the game.

scotth likes this.
  7. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

I feel your pain. This is why I pretty much took released MM titles off my wish list. When I went to order I discovered price increases. It also means I didn't order titles that didn't get price increases because I wanted the free shipping by ordering them together.

8. misterclean

I'll just wait for the represses of the "in demand" 33s, when the prices go back down to $40. There's no pulling the wool over my eyes.

JustLust and scotth like this.
  9. misterclean

Could somebody please repost that quote that MM sent out about going direct in order to keep prices at a minimum? I can't seem to find it. What a laugh that was.

ultron9 likes this.
  10. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

It was in an email they sent subscribers.

11. misterclean

Somebody actually posted it in one of these MM threads. I could use a good chuckle, if anyone could take the time to find it.

ultron9 likes this.
  12. ultron9

ultron9 The quest for perspicuity and grace continues...

I'm definitely not a happy camper, the reneged on their word quickly enough!

scotth and misterclean like this.
  13. mycroft

mycroft Forum Resident

scotth and misterclean like this.
  14. misterclean

Thanks bud. That's some kind of gem that you just came up with.

"That's exciting to us, because now we can also introduce incentives and savings for customers that we just could not see happen when so many other people had a piece of the pie in the distribution channels. To begin with, we will standardize pricing on titles at $39.95 on all 33RPM titles, and eliminate situations where we've seen inflated prices of $50 or even $60 in some markets when the sale was out of our hands."

15. scotth

scotth Forum Resident

Don't forget this one:

"...there will be no more creative pricing on our titles."

FashionBoy, ultron9 and misterclean like this.
  16. misterclean

You're absolutely correct. My bad for the oversight.

:bdance:

ultron9 and scotth like this.
  17. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Perhaps they meant,

"None will Price more creatively."

scotth likes this.
  18. misterclean

Shady pricing concerns aside, at least we can all admit that we absolutely love this product, right?

(Joe Harley is looking over my shoulder as we speak, so please agree). :sigh:

FashionBoy, ultron9 and scotth like this.
  19. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

I priced out eight 45 rpm titles that have been on my list, and one 33 rpm title, and found that Music Matters had the lowest prices on them. They were all priced at their initial sale price, with the exception of the 33, The Golden 8, which has seen an eight-dollar price increase. Most of these are probably not the best selling titles, but hey, that's supply and demand for you. (I agree that Music Matters should not have written that pricing policy and then not followed through on it, but that's a customer relations issue. I'm not going to lose sleep over prices going up as supply drops, and they've removed the policy from the site). Years after release, these titles (and many others) are still available directly from MM at the original price, while many of them are available at inflated prices elsewhere. So, I've done a build-your-own mini subscription. Here's what I chose:

Art Blakey - Like Someone in Love

Blue Mitchell - The Thing to Do

Freddie Hubbard - Open Sesame

Joe Henderson - Our Thing

Lee Morgan - Tom Cat

Sonny Clark - Sonny’s Crib

Tina Brooks - Back to the Tracks

Freddie Hubbard - Goin’ Up

Kenny Clarke, Francy Boland and Co. - The Golden 8

Guitarded likes this.
  20. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I feel like Nostradamus.

But again, I have tried to separate Music Matters into separate categories -- 1) the mastering. 2) the record pressing quality control, 3) the customer service. I don't think there's any doubt the enormously high quality of the mastering. They're pretty f'ing brilliant. For the most part, record pressing quality control has been fairly high, but not perfect. Which comes to 3, the customer service. They don't always seem to connect with what their customers actually want in customer service. It's like your house painter telling you what color you want. It comes off as a bit, well, tone deaf.

There are several titles that I would like, and that conditional tense is absolutely appropriate here, but I have misgivings about what the personality of the company has been lately, and I worry about if I do end up with a problem, whether I am sure with certainty that they'd make it right and happily.

21. cubbykat

cubbykat Bringer Of Pain To Your Face

Arguably they could have kept this passage just by shifting the emphasis a bit...

Now that that last 33rpm's are known, I may well delve into some of the 45rpm's (only have Herbie Hancock's 'Speak Like A Child'), though can't see myself forking over list though...

22. Nathan Aaron

Nathan Aaron Forum Resident

The prices are all over the place now! $38.95, $39.95, $49.95, $54.95! Whew!

23. johnt23

johnt23 Forum Resident

How does that work though? If you take a bath on some titles, wouldn't that inspire you to reduce the price? If it didn't sell at $40, how is it going to sell at $55?

24. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

I still think Music Matters was only talking about the new release price of $39.95 for 33rpm titles.

This issue of 'last of' and 'out of print' titles having higher prices is separate from what
    I believe MM was trying to address by bringing the distribution in house.

If you want the $39.95 price, order it when it comes out. If you buy a copy at a higher price,
    be thankful you didn't miss out. I can't believe the amount of consternation that $10 or $15 seems
    to generate for some people. Are these purchases mandatory or elective? Gosh, isn't this supposed
    to be fun? I'd charge $100 each if this was my company. You're in or out.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
    Bryce and Johan1880 like this.
  25. Nathan Aaron

Nathan Aaron Forum Resident

- Though I'm not sure upping the price due to low volume, then just repressing more is smart either. Many of those 33s were out of stock until they weren't.