Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Absolutely agree. I don't want any more of the existing 45s double dipped as 33s. I know the Herbie Hancok is coming, but I hope it ends there. I want new titles only. There is so much that is really good.

JoelWat and mikeyt like this.
  2. Josquin des Prez

Placed my new order with Elusive Disc:

Sonny's Crib
    6 Pieces of Silver
    Smithville

TimArruda likes this.
  3. antielectrons

antielectrons Well-Known Member

Sorry to break it to you but there are now new titles - they have all be done before. It would be a shame to not have them all on 33 by music matters.

POGunter likes this.
  4. Josquin des Prez

I doubt anyone in this thread misunderstood my comment, other than you of course. ;)

5. TimArruda

TimArruda Well-Known Member

Great choices, I'll be interested to hear your thoughts when you listen to them.

6. Josquin des Prez

Next time I have to get Lee Morgan. Wife's orders.

TimArruda likes this.
  7. Jimbo912

Jimbo912 Forum Resident

Just listened to Somethin' Else. Another fantastic job by MM ! I only have a Classics mono to compare and I prefer the MM stereo

8. antielectrons

Just put Somethin' Else: Autumn Leaves on for a spin.

Superb sounding like the original Stereo copy that I own.. but updated using the best of today's gear in a way that only MM can do :)

Jerry James and GreatTone like this.
  9. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

I really like Lee Morgan Vol 3, which is different from a lot of his other albums. It's got some great tunes by Benny Golson, and features the larger sextet format. There are also more arrangements than the more common blowing sessions of the era. Great album.

4140, TimArruda and Josquin des Prez like this.
  10. antielectrons

One of my favourite albums, if not my favourite from Lee Morgan.

11. WadeB

WadeB Forum Resident

I got my
    I got my copy yesterday and have listened through several times. Yes, another stellar sounding record.

This is just my second MM. My other is True Blue. Quick observation: My copy of True Blue came shipped with the record in a plastic sleeve that was inside a separate plain white cardboard sleeve outside of the gatefold sleeve. Somethin' Else just had the record in the plastic inside the gatefold. I was wondering if this was a change or an omission. I thought it was a nice touch for the True Blue copy.

12. antielectrons

I think the extra white inner sleeve was for overseas customers...

13. antielectrons

The Sonny Clark is superb also! Really nice improvement on the MM 45 version. More focused and yet more of everything.

p.s. My first AP 33 mono arrive today - Red Garland - all morning' long. Excellent! Covers, whilst not as good as the MM are much better and very nice indeed now.

14. WadeB

WadeB Forum Resident

Hmmm . . . I'm in the US, so not sure. Extra packaging never hurts.

mikeyt likes this.
  15. alanb

alanb Senior Member

What happened to Jackie McLean's - Let Freedom Ring ?

Supposed to be a 45 but it looks like they stopped those now.

16. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

What if there were a phonograph accessory for a bicycle (as there had been for cars in the mid-'60s)?

WadeB likes this.
  17. abor1g

abor1g Forum Resident

go instead for "one step beyond", if u haven't it or better the Grachan Moncur

18. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

My copy of Idle Moments also had the LP packed in a separate sleeve, while Dexter Gordon's Go came inside the cover. They may have just cut back for costs. If anything, I really wish they'd use poly-lined inners. Every one I've received has been a little scuffed.

WadeB likes this.
  19. Steel City

Steel City Forum Resident

I am in the UK all my other albums have had the extra white sleeves except my last shipment of four albums which included the last two in the series.:confused:

20. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I just can't let stuff like this pass. The rest of you don't seem to care. How do you mean more focused and yet more of everything? More focused than the master tapes? Louder? Brighter? Enhanced? And "more of everything", describe that if you would, thanks.

AnalogJ, John D. and SteelyTom like this.
  21. antielectrons

Sure Steve. No problem! My comments were based on comparing the 44 RPM version of Music Matters re-issue of Sonny Clark's Cool Struttin' to their 33 RPM version that arrived this week. I can't imagine what the master tape sounds like - you guys are so lucky!

Its like a photograph where the more in-focus the image is the clearer it is. You get to see more of everything and consequently the more realistic the image appears to you. But, like a good image its not just about resolution, too much detail can sound unrealistic: it has to hang together coherently. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts. There is just a rightness about the 33 that the 45 didn't quite have, in my opinion and experience at least.

All the best.

David Ellis and MisterBritt like this.
  22. antielectrons

I also meant to add that at times I found the 45 version to be a bit "fuzzy" for want of a better word, but the 33 is much clearer.

MisterBritt likes this.
  23. Jim in Houston

Jim in Houston The Godfather of Alt-Country & Punk

Do tell, nothing listed on Music Matters.

My last two from Elisive Disc are "picked"

24. antielectrons

I was referring to the originals by Blue Note.

25. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

Cool Struttin' sounds amazing (33MM version)! Using a Dyn 20x2H, technics1200 KAB, Harbeths 7es3