Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I just ordered my first MMs and planning out future buys or wishlist.
    Anyone have recommendations on MM45 or AP45 that would be a good way to experience an audiophile album but with 45? I was thinking maybe Ella Fitzgerald Let Know Man Write my Epitaph or one of the Hank Mobleys only on 45 like Another Workout, but wasn’t sure if something spare was better on 45 or something denser.

2. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Horace Silver - 'Song for My Father' is an excellent one.

If you want to do a bargain comparison of 33/45 the BlackLion re-issues that our host worked on were available in 33 / 45 rpm comparison sets. Usually they can be found at pretty reasonable prices.

3. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Bobby Hutcherson - Happenings
    Jackie McLean - One Step Beyond

4. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

5. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I went over to the MM site earlier today to finally pick up Happenings (was putting it off for a long time, for some weird reason), but, sadly, found that it is out of stock. So, I decided to go ahead and order Grachan’s Evolution (another title I’ve been putting off) ((plus a couple more titles to get the free shipping, of course)) before the same thing happens.

6. Gabe Walters

Evolution is fantastic!

dzhason, NorthNY Mark and mikeyt like this.
  7. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Yeah, I’m stoked that at least it was still available. I figure, for Happenings, I’ll keep my eye out for a used copy to maybe pop up somewhere (hopefully for not too high a price, I did see a copy on elusive disc for $100+, which is more than I want to pay). In the meantime, I’ll probably pick up the SHM-CD version to hold me over.

8. guidedbyvoices

Brutal! I have a feeling after Christmas I'll just suck it up and make one big buy of all the titles I know I want before the prices hit the next level up. Wish I'd dug into Blue Note a year or two ago when these were still more reasonable.

dzhason and Fender Relic like this.
  9. sunspot

sunspot Forum Resident

You won't regret it.

guidedbyvoices and dzhason like this.
  10. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I discovered MM back in Feb and did just that. I have about 70-80 titles (mix of 33s and 45s), the majority of them I got through acousticsounds and hit them hard every time they offered a 20% off coupon code (that only applied to the 45s, the 33s were never eligible for discount codes). A lot of the titles I got, or had been watching, went through an upward price bump some time over the summer, there are still some 45s available, though, for the usual $50 on both the MM and AS shops. You have to price compare though, I’ve found that sometimes one site will have the price bumped up on any particular title but the other site will have it for less.

11. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

That's exactly why I got MM Happenings this summer even though it was $65. I couldn't buy a used LP copy from any era at a decent price and I mean for over a year I've been outbid on auctions, watching and hoping for a price reduction on new MM or a used on here or elsewhere. Some titles are just tough and Happenings seems to be one.

dzhason likes this.
  12. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

$65 doesn't seem to bad, I was prepared to do the $75 listed on the MM site... until I realized it said out of stock. :sigh::shrug: "Bouquet" alone has got to be worth at least 65 bones, am I right?

Fender Relic likes this.
  13. Fender Relic

U R correct sir :agree: That is one sweet Bouquet :love: Hope you have the good fortune of finding one at a better price. I'll keep an eye out for one.

Bryce likes this.
  14. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

I have to correct myself here because the Vinyl Me Please (VMP) issue is probably a different mastering than the Music Matters. Both issues were cut by Kevin Gray. The 2011 MM has "MMBLP-1559 KPG@CA 1945. (1)..." in the dead wax. The new 2017 VMP has "B0026863-01-A KPG@CA 28140.1(3)." in the dead wax according to Discogs.

MrRom92 likes this.
  15. guidedbyvoices

Yup I’ve got a spreadsheet with sites and their current prices for the ones I want!

dzhason likes this.
  16. Gabe Walters

It might still be the same cut, just different pressing plants. At any rate, I would expect them to sound very similar, if not identical.

MrRom92 likes this.
  17. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Haha, I did that too! :agree:

guidedbyvoices likes this.
  18. Fender Relic

I have a Kenny Burrell-Midnight Blue MM 33 that I never opened. I ordered it and then found a VG+ mono OG for $1 at a yard sale before the MM even arrived. Then a few months ago I found a VG+ Liberty stereo for $5. So, I never got around to opening the MM. I'm sure it sounds better than my used copies but haven't had the urge to find out. I'm still on the fence about opening it for a listen or keep it sealed for a trade on a different MM.

mikeyt likes this.
  19. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I’d second the suggestions above for Jackie’s One Step Beyond and Horace’s Song for My Father (I have the MM of the former but not the latter). Trying to remember from the Jazz conversation thread your opinion on Miles’ 2nd Quintet, but coming up short, regardless, though, anything Wayne Shorter won’t be a miss (IMO, of course). Herbie’s Speak Like a Child and Inventions and Dimensions (although, I’ve read here frequently that others have a harder time getting into Inventions, it’s one of my faves though). Lee Morgan’s Tom Cat and, of course, Search for the New Land. Also, maybe not as well known as these others, but I’ve found that Gil Melle’s Patterns in Jazz is a stellar one that may fly under the radar (it’s available on Apple Music to give it a sample listen if you haven’t already heard it).

20. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Indeed.

21. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

Discovery of MM = $$$$ large figure -> Out
    MM titles —> In

22. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

That one is the noisiest of the MM’s that I have. I actually returned the first copy I received, the 2nd copy was better in that regard but still noiser than any other title I have. I subsequently picked up the AP SACD of it out of curiosity to see how they compare, of course the SACD doesn’t have the noise issues but I still prefer the MM’s sound (I like the extra energy in the high end on the MM’s despite my cartridge, can’t wait to upgrade my TT and/or cartridge as I have a 2m Red which seems to be known for its extra high end emphasis).

Fender Relic likes this.
  23. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I think I recall seeing this equation written on the board in the calculus professor’s classroom back in the day, I didn’t understand it then, though it makes more sense now.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
    Fender Relic and patient_ot like this.
  24. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

My Midnight Blue MM33 sounds fine.

dzhason likes this.
  25. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Probably my worst pressed MM LP.

Not awful - unless you play any of the others first.

dzhason likes this.