Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Ben Toscano

Ben Toscano Forum Resident

Anyone end up with an extra jacket for Lee Morgan Search for the New Land 33 RPM? I recently scored a test pressing that came in a blank jacket that I'd like to swap out.

2. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Do you guys usually clean these before playing? I was thinking about it but I’m probably not going to want to wait until I clean it to play it!

guidedbyvoices likes this.
  3. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Usually I clean them but they usually arrive pretty pop and click free so I don’t sweat it too much til I have enough records for a cleaning session.

4. ceynon

ceynon Forum Resident

I clean everything before I play it.

Bryce and ssmith3046 like this.
  5. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

I've never cleaned a Music Matters record and they all sound great.

recstar24 and Ben Toscano like this.
  6. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Thanks for the replies! I'll give a few a spin and see if there's a need to give the rest a quick dip in the US cleaner.

7. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

This is bad. I have another $600 worth of records in my MM cart. Talk me off the ledge guys!

recstar24 likes this.
  8. Gez

Gez Forum Resident

Sorry, no can do - what you are buying is timeless material that will provide many years of enjoyment. As my kids used to say before it became uncool - YOLO. Besides, you would probably just waste that money on something like food or shelter.

9. BendBound

BendBound Forum Resident

Ron Rambach told me specifically that he recommended cleaning MM lps prior to playing them.

10. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

I've got about half 33's and 45's and I must say, the 33's are growing on me. I find their noise floor to be noticeably lower than the 45's. The 45's win on dynamics, soundstage air and ambiance, but the 33's have a blacker background and the focus and clarity is excellent as a result. I think generally speaking the 33's have a better bass response too, on a lot of the 45's the bass can be hidden a little

Maccamera, Morbius and johnt23 like this.
  11. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Not hidden, everything else is boosted.

AnalogJ, SteelyTom and Alex Zabotkin like this.
  12. johnt23

johnt23 Forum Resident

Big fan of the 33s here. Love the frequency balance. That is the way these brass instruments sound in a live setting.

recstar24 likes this.
  13. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

That's a great way of describing it. The 45's may have a more "neutral" signature to them, but the 33's for whatever reason have a very live, punchy quality to them that would similar hearing this stuff back in the day in some little club I'd imagine. But that noise floor, man it is ridiculously low on these 33's.

14. misterclean

misterclean Forum Resident

Got to clean the 45s for sure because of all the residue left from those dreaded pink inner sleeves. The 33s, not so much...

recstar24 and mikeyt like this.
  15. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

What was the rational for that. Just curious ....

Craig's Story likes this.
  16. blue

blue Mastering rules

My impression is quite different:

To me the 33‘s have a different and slightly stronger treble EQ, they sound little more transparent with little improved soundstage, little sharper transients, little more lively sounding (probably due to the different EQ) and more accurate (or less colored) in bass.

The 45‘s in my perception have little richer tonality overall with little more intense tonal color, especially in bass, where depending on the bass accuracy of the equipment this either gives the impression of a less controlled or just a more colored and slightly more intense bass.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    Michel Jazz likes this.
  17. guidedbyvoices

I’m up to eight 33’s so far, basically upgrading a bunch of BN75ths I had. It may be a few months til I can get some more so I use Apple Music to scout out stuff. Just when I think I’ve got my next two or three for sure locked in my sights, something else clicks for me. Right now that’s Ready for Freddie and cool struttin. For a while both of those were just your average Blue Note date, maybe over rated? Both clicked for me big time lately especially Freddie. I usually lean towards tenor sax stuff and away from trumoet stuff because of how piercing trumpets can be. But freddie’s got a warmer tone and the MMs I have so far have been really good at mastering the trumpets natural and enhancing the warmth.

Dangerous hobby. Just like that I have $500 of maybes!

nosliw, timzigs, mikeyt and 5 others like this.
  18. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Freddie Hubbard’s Blue Note albums are excellent.

Stu02 likes this.
  19. wellers73

wellers73 Forum Resident

I just received Open Sesame the other day. I already had this on CD, but hearing the MM was revelatory. Freddie is just unreal on this record!!

recstar24, Stu02 and Gabe Walters like this.
  20. guidedbyvoices

So from reading this thread, Johnny Griffin ‘a blowing session’ VMP is a different cut than theMM 45. Is the sound on the VMP comparable? Or stick with the MM?

21. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

I personally haven't heard the VMP of the griffin but I've been happy with the VMP jazz/blue note stuff by KPG overall, even if sourced from hi res. The Eddie gale 45 VMP has pretty startling dynamics and is such a cool blue note, as is the griffin blowing session. If you've got the money I'm sure the MM45 is killer but the VMP is at a very nice price point.

guidedbyvoices likes this.
  22. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Hey, all. My blue label copy of Idle Moments has some numbers in the dead wax, "#28" and "#86". Any idea what these are in reference to? It's a Van Gelder stamped stereo copy.

23. Fractured

Fractured Forum Resident

Any thoughts on the Johnny Coles, "Little Johnny C", 45 vs 33 rpm? I've been searching for comparisons or any comments on sound on either and haven't found much. This is the only 33 I've been a bit disappointed with, just because I've had two copies and both had a "ticky" side 2 — which is especially grating on the quiet closer, "So Sweet My Little Girl". Wondering if I'll have better luck with a 45.

24. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Well, ordinarily, the discussion of 33 vs. 45 gets into sonic qualities, not whether one has a surface defect. I can't speak about either, in this particular case, because I don't own either one.

25. Fractured

Fractured Forum Resident

Well, I guess I'm just wondering whether this is one of the titles where the 45 has any fans. I've been reading through here as much as I can, and I get the sense that there are a few titles where, despite many improvements in the studio setup for the 33s, the 45 version still sounds better (e.g., Unity, Indestructible); and others where the majority feel the 33 takes it up a notch, and so the 45 is no longer worth getting.

I'm also wondering whether many others found their copy to have a noisy second side, or if I was just unlucky, and that trying a 33 from another source (both my copies came directly from MM) is a solid bet.