Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Its an official album of his - a friend once referred it to me as Search for the New Land part 2, similar style and vibe and an extension of that more open, freer sound Lee was going for. You can find it on MM's site.

Lee Morgan - The Procrastinator - Blue Note Vinyl Reissue

2. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Damn I was making a corny joke, but there really is an album named that! Wow that’s a heck of a lineup

3. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Wow I bought little Johnny C for $39 in December and now it is $75 bucks almost double.

4. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

I bought the 33rpm Grant Green 'Matador' for $39 last summer. It is currently $100! :yikes:

recstar24 likes this.
  5. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

I thought it was a joke at first as well. :laugh: I''ll have to check that out! Love the Search for the New Land title track, so part 2 would be right up my alley.

6. guidedbyvoices

I just played it on Apple Music and really liked it.

7. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

I was actually taking a line from your joke and continuing that joke by actually quoting a real album :)

8. guidedbyvoices

A few months ago I did a list for myself of the 33s and their prices to help sample the albums and see what I might want to get down the road. The idea that some hidden treasures on the $40 side would offset some $65 ones.

15 have gone up since then, the site was glitchy this morning so it might’ve updated today.

Cool Struttin, Go, and Page One moved up to $55

Hank Mobley s/t, Us three, indestructible, out to lunch, gettin around, sidewinder and night dreamer moved up to $60

Moanin, something else, search for new land moved up to $65 ($15 jump for Lee Morgan)

Little Johnny C jumped up but says out of stock
    Matador is crazy.

9. scotth

scotth Forum Resident

Make sure you check other sites before wasting your money buying direct. Some of these titles are still cheaper from places like Acoustic Sounds and Elusive Disc. Unfortunately they killed all the coupon codes for them though.

Lucca90 likes this.
  10. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Man, I had search for a new land in my cart for weeks. Just made another bulk purchase, don’t know when these prices will go up or they’ll be gone.

11. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Actually...I've picked up a handful of sealed Music Matters releases here locally that had this generic "75 Blue Note" sticker on them that were priced as regular 75th Anniversary releases. Not sure if it was just a screw up at the pressing plant or distributor but they are out there. Just make sure the seller can provide a photo of the back cover so you can see the Music Matters text on the bottom.

Leonthepro, 2xUeL, recstar24 and 4 others like this.
  12. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Yes. I was looking to buy it and I delayed my purchase by a couple of weeks and it did exactly that. So I bought some others instead. Great album but I didn't want to spend that much.

Fender Relic likes this.
  13. Shpongle

Shpongle Forum Resident

Wow! Where did you get these? I presume online? What’s weird is that the Music Matters releases have a very obvious and distinctive sticker on the front. So the ones you bought, did they have that sticker as well as the 75th Blue Note sticker?

14. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

I'd like to know what drives the price hikes. You call in your order and Lori or whoever goes to the shelf and pulls your LP and discovers there are only 10 left of that title so it triggers a $ increase? Do you think they know if there will be another pressing of any titles or does this price increase indicate the final availability of MM copies? Or, does the insane secondary market prices cause MM to figure they'll keep up with the rising trends of vinyl sellers everywhere? A few times I must have been the buyer who tripped the increase trigger because I noticed that prices jumped right after I ordered.

15. scotth

scotth Forum Resident

Don't try to understand it, they are just price gouging plain and simple. In the past they hiked prices and put out special colored editions with a huge markup to play off everyone's assumption that there would be none repressed, but then they repressed and prices fell (for a little while). They pulled distribution from external retailers to do this under the false guise of preventing the other retailers from doing the same thing.

Some of their price hikes have been considerably higher than albums still available at other retailers from before they stopped distribution, so it is hard to argue it has anything to do with general trend of other vinyl sellers. When these do pop up on discogs or here they also sell for considerably lower than MM prices especially if used (read: played once or twice NM).

AaronW likes this.
  16. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Just placed an order this morning from stuff I've put on a wish list for a while, better now than later!

Thad Jones 33
    Tina Brooks back to the tracks 45 ($50, acoustic sounds has it at $120!)
    Jackie McLean one step beyond 45

Bryce, mikeyt and Gabe Walters like this.
  17. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Do you have a vendor in mind that shows lower prices for MM's? Before I placed my order, I did a quick check of Elusive Disc and this is what I found:

Thad Jones - $50 MM vs $100 ED
    Tina Brooks Back to Tracks - $50 MM vs $120 ED
    Jackie McLean one step beyond - $50 MM vs $70 ED

I'm not seeing unfortunately this price gouging you are speaking of, at least with all the MM's I've gotten.

TheIncredibleHoke likes this.
  18. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Music Matters is simply doing the same thing that other online stores have been doing, i.e. raising prices when inventory gets down to a few copies. While I don't support them when prices go up, most of these titles have been available for years now so there was plenty of opportunity to buy them at the orig. price. Have you tried to buy original pressings of these titles?

Bryce, Gabe Walters and Bobsblkwax like this.
  19. guidedbyvoices

I’d rather the money go to the company that did the leg work to put out a really good product - excellent quality cover, excellent vinyl quality, and excellent analog mastering from the master tape - than to pay an eBay flipper the same amount. It sucks for me that I jumped on the wagon late, but I don’t fault Music Matters for raising prices on titles that are almost out of stock.

20. scotth

scotth Forum Resident

That's your prerogative. To me, it makes me just wait to find them used or not get them. Myself and quite a few others would have spent hundreds more than we did. So far there haven't been many if any going out of stock even though they've been raising prices for years now. If they would rather get more money in the long run but sell them slower, fine but it rubbed many people the wrong way.

Plenty of people are happy to defend then, especially the ones that got them all before the price hikes for some reason. I respect their right to not be bothered, not sure why they try to convince me that it is great to pay double the original price when the company claimed they were stopping distribution to avoid price hikes. That's hypocritical anti-customer business practices in my opinion when they had every opportunity to be honest about it and I can't respect that.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  21. scotth

scotth Forum Resident

Matador is $70 on ED and $100 on MM. I noticed some others when I typed that but you can look for yourself if you are interested. I wouldn't pay $70 either fwiw, just giving a counterpoint telling people to do their homework since someone erroneously said MM had the best prices at this point. Some are cheaper on discogs as well.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  22. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Here in person at Amoeba Music Hollywood. The gatefold jacket caught my eye, prompting me to inspect, no MM sticker just the 75th Blue Note one.

2xUeL, nosliw, bluejimbop and 2 others like this.
  23. Lucca90

Lucca90 Forum Resident

Audiophile USA has the Johnny Coles 45 for $35 and many others 45's for $40 or $45.
    Coles, Johnny - Little Johnny C

A month ago there was a Lee Morgan Search for the New land MM 33 test pressing for $15 available on Discogs (generic sleeve)

If someone wants to pay MM prices that's OK but there are still many options available.

scotth likes this.
  24. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Duly noted. I also checked discogs before placing my order and didn't see anything lower. I'll continue to use ED, AS, and discogs though for future MM purchases at least to review.

scotth likes this.
  25. TheIncredibleHoke

TheIncredibleHoke Dachshund Dog Dad

That's certainly your prerogative. Others would just like to support a company that has produced an unparalleled library of amazing pressings. No one is forcing you to buy them, or to thread crap in this thread, but you are still here... crapping.

recstar24 likes this.