Music Matters inner sleeves

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Echidna Arf, Jun 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Echidna Arf

Echidna Arf Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I just bought a Music Matters Grant Green record and it came in like a plastic inner sleeve, the one that looks like the PVC kind that leaves marks on the records (Is it hazing? outgassing?). Since I know many here have bought those records, I'm wondering if you know whether they just look like it, but are actually different material that doesn't harm the records in the long run, or if they are.

2. BlackCircleVinyl

BlackCircleVinyl Forum Resident

I have the same on John Coltrane Blue Train. Swapped it into a Nagaoka inner sleeve because I wasn’t confident that the supplied inner sleeve wouldn’t leech onto the vinyl.

Echidna Arf likes this.
  3. ultron9

ultron9 The quest for perspicuity and grace continues...

I've replaced those sleeves with MoFi and Diskeeper inners without hesitation!

4. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

I don't know if they do or do not cause harm but I don't like them much so I replace them with one of my other favorite inner sleeves.

Echidna Arf likes this.
  5. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

I find the ones without the pink coating to be the cleanest, dust free and anti-static free of any inner sleeve I've ever used. I wish all inner sleeves were like that. As for the pink ones leaching substances on to the record, once you remove the whitish haze from the record once which I do with my Hunt EDA Mk6 you can return it to the original sleeve and the haze will never return. I have quite a few MM 2x45s sitting in the sleeves for the last couple of years and they're none the worst for wear.

6. Echidna Arf

So you've had the white/transparent ones on your records for a couple of years and nothing has happened?

7. olschl

olschl Forum Resident

I think the Nagaokas are twice the price of the MoFi sleeves. Are they really that much better?

8. Echidna Arf

I bought the MoFi pack of sleeves.

SandAndGlass and wgb113 like this.
  9. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

Yes.

10. olschl

olschl Forum Resident

That's what I've been using. They are the best I've tried yet. Interested to hear about the Nagaokas, though.

11. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

The pink ones that leave a residue were used in 2010-11 or thereabouts. Old stock still has them, of course. But the residue washes right off.

12. BlackCircleVinyl

BlackCircleVinyl Forum Resident

I like the Nagaoka 102 sleeves because they fit snugly into most cardboard inner sleeves very well, giving protection to the record whilst still housing it in it's "proper" sleeve. To be fair the Mofi are probably better for when there is no cardboard inner sleeve and you're just swapping out the supplied "generic / unsuitable" inner. Might be time for me to re-think my storage process a bit ;-)

13. Echidna Arf

So two of the records I received from them had the pink sleeves! Compared to the white ones they're horrible, you can actually feel it, there's a tactile difference between them two. With the pink one you feel like some sort of coating is on your hand after you've handled them.

ultron9 likes this.
  14. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I'd get your records out of the white ones as well. Morbius' comments make no sense at all, especially that you can clean the records up and re-insert them into the pink sleeves.

The traces of fog can be cleaned off of the records only very early on, like 6 to 9 months, after that it becomes perminate.

The white or similar clear ones are just about as bad as the pink ones. Nasty waxy stuff. Get rid of them.

mackeyse likes this.
  15. Gabe Walters

The residue left by the pink sleeves can be cleaned off years later. When people buy records today from Music Matters that were pressed in 2010-11 or thereabouts, that used the pink inner sleeves, those records have sat on a warehouse shelf for years. The residue washes right off. Nothing permanent about it.

Guitarded likes this.
  16. Mr.Sneis

Mr.Sneis Forum Resident

I find those sleeves hold the record tighter than say a mofi sleeve or sleeve city sleeve which results in more work and possibly friction to get them out so I prefer to use aftermarket anyways.

Leonthepro likes this.
  17. Gabe Walters

Yeah, I replace even the newer translucent ones that don't leave a residue. They can leave sleeve removal marks, in my experience.

ultron9 likes this.
  18. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Ditch those sleeves.

I love RTI but I hate those frickin things.

19. JazzFanatic

JazzFanatic Jazz Man In Orbit

I have "LD + 3, 2LP x 45. The records havethe residue from the inner sleeves. I have used the VPI 16.5 record cleaner with their great fluid and it will not get the gunk off at all. I think it's a permanent defect. What else can I use to clean them?

quicksrt and ultron9 like this.
  20. Gabe Walters

Hmm, odd. My copy of LD+3 came with poly-lined paper inners, not the pink plastic ones. Maybe you have a later pressing run.

If you're not averse to cleaning with alcohol, try 90%+ isopropyl.

21. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

Years back I bought those vpi sleeves, when they ran out, I now buy the AF sleeves. Inner.
    Also. Have those great Japanese ones, the half circle ones, those are great too. Slippery, and protect my cherished albums.

Most of my collection is all in mofi inners, or the Japanese ones, in their jackets, then sealed in the Mylar Japanese sealable outer sleeves. Yes I:anal, t quite a few albums, speakers, files, tax records, etc etcbut my collection is nice. Most of what I listen to has been recorded to CD, TO preserve my records. Years back, I had a basement flood both sumps went out same night, 5 inches water in basement, los

22. Gabe Walters

The pink sleeves were standard-issue RTI sleeves at the time. In fact, I bet I can guess which Grant Green record you just got, going by date of release: it is probably Matador (on 45), Talkin' About, or Solid, right? Each of those was released in 2010.

Someone else on this thread didn't believe me that RTI used these inners for labels other than Music Matters, and a mod deleted my comment to that effect for lacking confirmation. OK, here's confirmation. Anyone who has a copy of ORG's Jaco Pastorius reissue, check your inner sleeves. Pink plastic, from RTI, which leaves a hazy film on the record, right?

Of course, Music Matters could have (and should have, in my opinion) paid more to get a nicer inner sleeve, as should have ORG, Sony Legacy, and any other label charging more to produce a product marketed to audiophiles.

recstar24 likes this.
  23. Gabe Walters

Just pulled another record with these pink RTI inner sleeves off my shelf--Kevin Gray and Steve Hoffman's cut of The White Stripes' Icky Thump. This one was in print for a while, so there may be variation in the inner sleeves used. But mine had the dreaded pink ones that left a wavy haze all over the records.

I just threw it on the Pro-Ject VC-S record cleaning machine, using the TM-8 fluid, and the haze washed right off. No alcohol in that solution.

patient_ot likes this.
  24. Gabe Walters

Finding a bunch more of these on my shelf, from the AP Blue Note Reissue series. Also pressed at RTI. I just cleaned No Room for Squares with Pro-Ject Wash It fluid, and the residue came off, no problem.

25. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

RTI used to make some of those bad pink sleeves.

But other than that dont worry too much. If its a simple paper sleeve lined with soft plastic then it works just fine.

Even if you use some bad frosty / hazy inners the leeching doesnt seem to happen for no reason. As with some bad outer sleeves it. It takes some environmental change like temperature or something to trigger the phenomena.
    And even MoFi sleeves have had their share of complaints about ruined records.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.