Music of the 80s: what did it mean to you?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Grant, May 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SgtPepper1983

SgtPepper1983 Forum Resident

The 80's were the main decade for two of the most fascinating acts ever: the Talking Heads who created a very unique sound, and Kate Bush who not only did that as well, but also ranks right at top of the list of the best songwriters ever (if not even beyond that!).

2. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Excellent point. I missed this when I 1st read through this thread. Serious music lovers need to just forget the "charts" when evaluating music. Who cares what "Joe Six-pack" was listening to? Certainly not I....

3. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Of course, one shouldn't go to far the other way too, just because something WAS a hit, doesn't mean it wasn't good.

4. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me! Thread Starter

I don't know about that, man! As I was researching my 1983 comp tonight, I came across tons of forgotten stuff that never gets play on oldies radio that i'm sure people have totally forgotten. As I stated earlier, it was my dark period, so I also tend to forget. Granted, a lot of it was on the Black/Urban charts, but that's beside the point.

jsayers calls us "drones", but that is a bit snobbish. Pop music is what it is, popular, and there is never anything wrong with us, it, or liking it. It just may not be your cuppa tea. To be fair, I do know what he's saying. In my case, jazz would be the stuff that you didn't find on the top of the charts.

5. Grant

Now, that was insulting, ignorant, and very snobbish! You are not the gatekeeper of good music any more than anyone else.:rolleyes:

OK, your opinion is not PC, and I wouldn't want it to be, but, man, don't be insulting people! There's a difference between insulting the music, and insulting those that like or dislike it.

6. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Not my intent at all. Did you read my entire post? I was merely stating that the charts do not fully reflect the vast amount of music that was released in the 80's. Remember, there was a lot of "indie" labels that sprang up in this decade that put out a lot of really good music that wasn't "privvy" to radio or MTV exposure.
    The three terms you slung at me were more offensive than anything I said. Thanks a lot.

7. seg763

seg763 Senior Member

rock and roll went underground, and blossomed there. The megga successes of the late 70's led the major labels down a very conservative path. If one old enough to look further than MTV as a guide, but still young enough to go out and see young bands in clubs it was a great time.

8. Grant

Well, you shouldn't have used the word "serious".

9. Being born in 1982, it's the decade when I started listening to music. 80s Billy Joel, Joe Jackson or Bruce Springsteen, U2's The Joshua Tree and Rattle And Hum, Fleetwood Mac's Tango In The Night, that was what I was listening to. I didn't have a clue that there was a lot of synth pop, metal and rap going on as well.

10. bldg blok

bldg blok Forum Resident

Care to give some examples?

11. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

Radiohead
    Blur
    Tori Amos

How long of a list would you like?

12. TOCJ-4091

TOCJ-4091 Senior Member

13. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

I think Mickey Rourke in The Wrestler had the best line about this and 80's music in general. I won't quote it here due to language and to adhere to Grant's request that we keep it civil. But those of you who have seen the movie know the scene..it's when Ratt starts playing in the bar after they go shopping. :D

I agree with that. There were a few things that came out after that that I liked but I would say that's VERY close to when 'the 80's' ended for me..musically speaking.

But addressing Grant's question...the 80's music for me meant FUN. For everyone. Pop, R&B, Punk...everyone. Forum member Tim Neely would probably tell you, and I would agree, that it was the last great era of the 45 R.P.M. It was also probably the last great era of being able to go out and have a good time and see an original band on a Saturday night at a little club. Videos were a new device for getting music across to the masses. Everything musically speaking seemed to get a new life to it. It was fresher.

14. Van Halen

15. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

That's a strange statement. I could've driven 10 miles in any direction last night and easily found a little club with a band playing original material, presumably to people having a good time.

16. hackjo

hackjo Forum Resident

I was born in 1980 - so I literally grew up in the 1980's, it was the first decade of my life.

I loved the music then and still do now. Great production values that have been lost in a lot of modern music, danceable beats, memorable melodies - all things that are sadly lacking in a lot of current music.

Sure, there was some crap but on the whole, I love it.

Albums like Michael Jackson's Thriller and Bad, Tears for Fears The Hurting, Big Chair and Seeds of Love, Dire Straits Brothers in Arms, Queens The Works etc still really do it for me.

Oddly enough, when I was a teenager in the 1990's I had little to do with the contemporary music scene, preferring to check out the 1960's instead.

I love the 80's!!

17. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

But you're using the worst the radio had to offer to make your point. Take '87 -- along with the dreck you list, you were likely to hear "Goin' Back to Cali," "Welcome to the Jungle," "Pump Up the Volume," "Brilliant Disguise," or "Don't Dream It's Over" -- classics all, at least in my book. It sounds like your perception of what was on the radio changed at least as much as the music did.

And as many have pointed out, what was happening in hip-hop and college radio made even the best stuff in the Top 40 look sick by comparison.

18. Brian81

Brian81 Forum Resident

I'd say it's the beloved rock and prog bands of the 60s and 70s turning into 'elevator music' during the 80s.

19. LLP7

LLP7 Active Member

I was age 10-19 for the 80's, so you must know that this is the decade of choice for me. I love all sorts of music, but the 80's hold a special spot in my heart. Favorites then(and still listened to on the ol' iPod) are INXS, Howard Jones, Duran Duran, The Cure, Echo and the Bunnymen, Psychedelic Furs, Depeche Mode, Kraftwerk, The Pretenders, Simple Minds, etc....

20. laughingboy

laughingboy Forum Resident

The 80s, the decade of the pop video, helped promote the idea - that began with the sleeve art of the LP - that music alone was not enough: it needed visuals - branding - to really sell. The accountants loved it. It meant that the mainstream labels could become a virtual cartel/monopoly - because the cost of creating a video was yet another barrier to entry (as if radio plugging, etc, weren't enough). Smart independent labels like STIFF Records, made cheap, inventive videos that bucked the trend, but they were the exception.

The other development was the CD. Record companies could sell you the same stuff all over again!

So the major labels became increasingly marketing and accountancy-led, and their wet dream came true: music became 'product' and 'units'. Even then, the market was dysfunctional - for example, "Mary's Prayer" wasn't a hit in England, but when it was a minor hit in the US it was re-released, now with the full record company behind it. It reached No. 3. What was going on? Marketing was winning.

For many reasons, partly those above, the great new music of the 80s was slightly off-the-radar. The major record companies are still in the 80s. The kids, however, aren't buying...

21. LeftOfTheDial

LeftOfTheDial Active Member

i'm sorry, i still can't believe the view that a decade of music was awful in and of itself.

rap grew from a party-disco vehicle to something politically and socially relevant with darker sounds and rhythms (run-d.m.c., public enemy, n.w.a., boogie down productions) it also changed to become very musically innovative (beastie boys, de la soul, eric b & rakim).

hardcore punk was pushed through and riled things up (minor threat, dead kennedys, bad brains, black flag, fugazi).

college rock produced some of the greatest rock bands ever (pixies, the replacements, husker du, meat puppets, minutemen, r.e.m., the smiths, tom waits, talking heads, SONIC ****ing YOUTH).

pop had its great moments (prince, madonna, michael jackson, u2, the stone roses).

metal became huge (slayer, metallica).

how about dance and techno? house music was invented around detroit and other places.

new sounds were introduced (shoegaze, dream pop, proto-grunge) with the likes of cocteau twins, my bloody valentine, galaxie 500, the jesus and mary chain, mudhoney, the vaselines, daniel johnston...

ETC. ETC. ETC.

this was an extremely fertile period for creativity in EVERY genre, so taste really has nothing to do with it. where is the hate coming from?

p.s. '90s were just as creative, as well.

22. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

I concur. However, there was good stuff that wasn't grunge that was released in the early 90s. :cool:

On the other hand, a number of the 80s hard rock and metal bands changed their sound to fit in with the musical climate at that time. Big mistake imo.

The exception to the rule were bands like Iron Maiden, W.A.S.P., and Motörhead; who didn't change their sound or look at all, imo. By sticking to their guns, they endured the 90s and are now thriving in this decade for the most part.

23. Anders B

Anders B Forum Resident

Loved it to bits. Songwriting was still important, the keyboards such as Fairlight and DX7 made the music exciting and fresh. The Cars made "Heartbeat City" and countless other albums showed great use of the new sounds without compromising the actual songwriting. Truly inspiring times!!

Oh, by the way I was in my glowing youth during this decade (may have something to do with my positive reflections!).

24. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

Right. Iron Maiden, W.A.S.P., Judas Priest and Dio changed their look and sound in the mid 80's to fit in with the musical climate. :D

Of course, all realised their errors and went back to their roots.

25. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

I concur for the most part.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.