Music on Vinyl record label

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vinyl Fan 1973, Apr 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad" Thread Starter

I have yet to own one, but today I saw the Clash debut, Miles Davis and Billy Joel on this label (reissue) and was thinking of picking them up. At 29.99$ a pop I was wondering if anyone had good feedback regarding the pressing quality and sound of this label.

Worth the money?

2. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

I don't know about those titles, but my two MoV pressings are just gifts from my mother, who thinks like "new vinyl=perfect gift for my son". I don't like the SQ very much.

3. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

I have exactly one reissue from them, which is Buffalo Tom's "Let Me Come Over". 180g, fairly quiet pressing, no liners (although, in their defense, the original CD's liner notes were sparse to begin with).

My biggest concern was SQ for a $30 LP, so I emailed them about the pressing ([email protected]) and they responded back that it was a 24/96 digital source used. I did my drop when I got it and it does look like this was an accurate statement. As for overall SQ, it's good - I wouldn't call it draw-droppingly better than my original CD but given that it's a 1992 recording I wasn't expecting the world. YMMV.

(reason why I bought it at ~$27.50 USD with promo code is because it's one of my favorite LP's, else I'd likely have passed on it)

4. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

5. Billy Bird

Billy Bird Forum Resident

The Clash debut doesn't sound that great to me. The recent Drastic Plastic reissue was far superior.

katstep likes this.
  6. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

For what it's worth ... I had several e-mail exchanges with MOV and they said that they use analog tapes or high resolution digital "when available", the implication being that otherwise, it's Redbook CD. Please note that 24-bit, 96 kHz files may be simply upsampled 16-bit, 44.1 kHz, like some of the music on HD Tracks. This uncertainly about the provinence of the source material is unfortunate, because the pressings are usually excellent.

EddieT and Gordon Johnson like this.
  7. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

Right on brother! The DP reissue smokes my U.S. LP, bought in the late 70s.

8. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Mostly bad and indifferent, with an occasional good reissue that somehow manages to slip through their Q/A. Not much effort placed on good sourcing or mastering. Packaging is usually utilitarian. The pressings themselves are usually pretty nice. So you get an inferior product, but one that is flat and relatively quiet.

Rarely worth the $30 they charge.

9. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

10. ccn103

ccn103 Senior Member

I own a bunch of titles from MOV, and have been happy with every purchase. Flat, quiet vinyl, and the sound has been uniformly excellent.

They also tend to carry quite a few titles that are hard to find on vinyl, or are appearing on vinyl for the first time. So I appreciate being able to get Dylan's Love and Theft for a reasonable price instead of paying $200 for an original pressing on ebay. Same goes for On the Corner by Miles Davis or Audioslave's first album.

Also, in reference to cost, most of the single LP titles can be found on Amazon for $20 from marketplace sellers.

Lucca90, agundy and David Ellis like this.
  11. ishmaelk

ishmaelk Forum Resident

So... No one recommends the Blonde On Blonde MOV edition?

12. Yovra

13. Vinyl Fan 1973

I was thinking Joni Mitchell Blue and Billy Joel The Stranger.

I used the search funtion, but didn't pull up those threads...thanks anyway.

14. ishmaelk

ishmaelk Forum Resident

15. Vinyl Fan 1973

Also, I just realized for the Joni Mitchell Blue album, there is a RTI release mastered by Steve Hoffman, I guess that is the one I should track down.

16. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

The MOV version is the US tracklist and you also get the free 7".

17. Antares

Antares Forum Resident

For SQ yes, but the RTI pressings can be noisy. I haven't seen this title released by MOV though, Warner Europe in Germany gets it re-pressed more or less regularly over here.

About MOV in general, I like their pressing quality, but don't care for their DMM cuts.

18. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

You never miss an opportunity to slag them off but you have never said what titles you have.

I think your assessment is basically biased and bordering on misinformation. FWIW they use the best source they can - mostly this is high def digital files, which can sound brilliant if done right, as the owners won't send the master tapes to them. Sometimes they get sent pressing masters cut from the original tapes in the US (like the Dylan titles).

The jackets and artwork are good/excellent, the pressing quality is superb (much better than US plants).

In summary if it's a title you really want on vinyl and the MOV is the only version out there then buy it, you'll be happy. If its a title that's also done all analogue by someone else (eg the Hendrix stuff) you are better off getting the US version (which will sound better but the pressing may not be so good).

I think we should be supporting labels like this who are trying to do it right and are releasing some interesting stuff (not the same few audiophile titles that some US labels seem to endlessly release again and again).

Btw, Fremer did a review of their Kind of Blue sourced from high Rez files and thought it was superb.

nosliw, c-eling, SteveM and 6 others like this.
  19. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Oh look, another MOV thread!!!

They'll be matching the bloody Beatles for the amount of threads started about them soon!!:biglaugh:

20. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Oh look, the MOV troll has showed up!!

Always slags them off, but never tells what titles he owns.......

telepicker97 and Heckto35 like this.
  21. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Useless information without details on titles. You may want to stick to threads about Amazon returns.

22. Vinyl Fan 1973

Thank you. I think I will go ahead and pick up the Joni Mitchell and Billy Joel and try them out. Even there limited on yellow vinyl looks cool, but expensive.

23. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

The DP is the UK track listing, of course it would be better than the butchered US version!

24. Billy Bird

Billy Bird Forum Resident

True, but felt the sound was underwhelming. I've had plenty of good MoV releases but this one disn't do it for me at all

25. Yovra

Regarding the jackets/artwork; especially my Simon and Garfunkel Bridge Over Troubled Water is, well, quite terrible. Looks like they've enlarged the cd-cover. I gave my opinion about the rest in the other threads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.