Music on Vinyl record label

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vinyl Fan 1973, Apr 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yes, I agree with you here. I can't believe how much utter drivel has been spouted in the threads about MOV.

Absolutely. MOV pressings are largely flat AND silent (explain that to Sundazed, please). Where I have pressings of albums I already have on CD there is absolutely no correlation in sound quality between the two. The MOV pressings always consistently better the CD counterparts. They never use CD files to press vinyl. The Hendrix and Dylan mono titles use the same mastering / stampers as their US counterparts. They are 'no frills' in the packaging department but their vinyl in the UK / EU is little more than some of the PD reissue labels and they are FAR better than most of those!

keiron99, nibor, luckyno13 and 3 others like this.
  2. Cody Lee Sokolski

Cody Lee Sokolski New Member

My first one was more artist driven. MOV issued a great J.J. Cale compilation. It was part of their "Collected" series. I found the pressing to be superior. The sound was great. I am guessing that it was from a digital source. Nonetheless, it was clear that some effort and pride of craft went into the title. Since then, I have picked up Marvin Gaye, Robert Palmer and Mamas & Papas in the same Collected" series. However, that being said, I am beginning to sense a connection between MOV and UMG catalogue. I do not consider that a good thing. I find that I have to avoid UMG pressings. They are hugely imperfect pressings. I gave up on them after it became impossible to find a Nick Drake reissue without pops of distortion and worse. I tried one last time on Van Morrison's "Keep Me Singin"(one my faves by him in many a year, btw) and again, the pressing was highly flawed. Oh, and then I tried Gregory Porter's "Take Me To Alley" (despite Caveat Emptor) which had these same blurting out distortional pops. Does anyone else feel the same way about UMG pressings? But I do find MOV to be sincere, but as I mentioned, I find the closeness to UMG, unsettling and dispiriting and a bad harbinger of possible things to come.

Nielsoe likes this.
  3. I have at least 30 MOV titles and never had to return one due to physical imperfections. As for the Nick Drake reissues, I have the 3 "box sets" plus the self titled comp that came out in 2013 and they're all near perfect pressing.

luckyno13 likes this.
  4. Cody Lee Sokolski

Cody Lee Sokolski New Member

I wish that I could say I was that fortunate with the Nick Drake reissues. Thankfully, i was lucky enough to find the Fruit Tree box set (along with the Sandy Denny boxset) from the Hannibal days. Have you Read the Joe Boyd autobiography yet?It is called White Bicycles and is quite readable & enjoyable.

5. Yes, I have the Boyd book in my library. Enjoyable but not as much detail as I'd have liked .

6. Ralf Walter

Ralf Walter New Member

I have a few released from MoV and the ones that come to mind the most are some of the Metal Church reissues they did. ALL of them are fantastic. The artwork is perfect and the vinyl is super quiet. Very nice. I was skeptical especially because of the cost but if I see anything else they've done that is on my wishlist I would buy their release instantly. i think they did a couple Alice in Chains that I'll be grabbing next time I see them. Good stuff imo. But I'm just talking some metal stuff. I did hear that the Bridge Over Troubled Water is not good but I have a 2-eye of that so I'm good. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.