Music purchased that spent the shortest time in your collection?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Michael Rose, Feb 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deaf_in_ LA_1974

Deaf_in_ LA_1974 Forum Resident

some of those trash books get repurposed, or saved by the employees, there is a whole library in one city of books saved from the trash

Man at C&A likes this.
  2. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

That's a great idea. I hope there are people doing this with records and CDs too.

3. DesertHermit

DesertHermit Now an UrbanHermit

Pale Green Ghosts - John Grant. I read a review in Q magazine that was quite gushing and I thought it sounded interesting so picked up the CD next time I was music shopping. I listened to it once and threw it straight in the bin. I never throw things out so quickly but I was so angry at how boring and pretentious I found it and so angry at myself for having bought it, that I never wanted to listen to it or him again...and I haven’t.

4. COBill

COBill Forum Resident

Funny - my favorite Billy Joel song, and actually quite up there for favorite song, period. Always makes me happy. Probably because I love 50s era music.

On the other hand there are only two Beatles songs I like - "The Long and Winding Road" and "Let it Be," the former being my favorite because of the Phil Spector production with chorus and violins.

I bought the Beatles' Red and Blue collections when I wasn't familiar with a lot of their catalog and sold them as used a few days later (I couldn't justify holding on to the blue one for two songs and knew I'd never play the red one again.)

MrSka57, Man at C&A and PyroMessiah like this.
  5. Another Steve

Another Steve Senior Member

[​IMG]

Except for hearing that they were a "southern" band, I was totally ignorant of R.E.M. I bought this new and expensive, expecting the second coming of my favorite, the Allman Brothers. Took it home, put on the headphones, thought there had been some type of mistake! Changed the tracks. Yeah, the mistake was on me. Just wasn't my cup of tea at all. Cut my losses and sold it the next day for $4. Do your homework, kids.

6. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

That album from what's his name!

seed_drill likes this.
  7. Trace

Trace Senior Member

ZZ Top - La Futura

I bought this based on reviews I had heard that it was a throwback to their early blues days. It's not. I stopped listening to ZZ Top after Tejas, because I didn't like the direction they headed with saxophones, electronic drums, etc.

I bought the album, was so excited to hear it, was incredibly disappointed and returned it for store credit the next day. I did like most of one song, It's Too Easy Manana, until the end where it sounded like a completely different song. Just totally ruined it for me. I now stick to pre'77 ZZ Top.

8. Graham

Graham Senior Member

The recent two CD Funkadelic Reworked By Detroiters release. Way too "dancey" for my tastes. Straight on eBay.

9. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident Thread Starter

Me too! I think we have similar tastes. :shtiphat:

klockwerk, Bingo Bongo and Sternodox like this.
  10. Sternodox

Sternodox SubGenius Pope of Arkansas

The Sensual World. After worshipping the vibrating air molecules of everything Kate did up to that point, I got this, listened to it one time and couldn't believe what I heard. I was sad for the rest of the day. Gave it to a friend/fan the next day. She didn't like it much either but I think she hung on to it. May be my biggest musical disappointment ever.

seed_drill likes this.
  11. RhodyDave125

RhodyDave125 Streetwalkin' Cheetah

I had a copy of Dag Nasty's "Can I Say" back when it first was released in 86'. A day later someone I was friends with asked to borrow it. Never saw either of them again. Lou, if you're out there, I want my record back!

hi_watt likes this.
  12. RhodyDave125

RhodyDave125 Streetwalkin' Cheetah

Was that a used album? If it was new, I think it's weird that you'd open and play it before gifting it.

hi_watt likes this.
  13. hhjack

hhjack Forum Resident

I remember buying Concrete Blonde's Bloodletting on cassette when it came out. After one listen, I tried to trade it in for The Kinks' Preservation Act 1. The store owner wouldn't take it back since it had been opened and there was nothing physically wrong with it. However, realizing I was having buyer's remorse, he suggested that I give it a few more listens and perhaps the album would grow on me. It was good advice. Today, I still have a fondness for Bloodletting. And, I eventually got around to owning Preservation Act 1, too.

longaway likes this.
  14. puelche

puelche Forum Resident

Astral Weeks by Van Morrison. Couldn't stand it... :unhunh:

Spadeygrove likes this.
  15. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

Def Leppard's "X."
    One spin and straight to the trade pile! Yuck.

PyroMessiah likes this.
  16. Ziggy Stardog

Ziggy Stardog Forum Resident

I'm not sure how long it was before I sold it, but I immediately regretted buying David Lindley's Mr. Dave a few years back. I had his albums with El Rayo X and some official (and unofficial) bootlegs in my collection. I already knew some of the tunes on Mr. Dave from the boots, but wasn't prepared for the awful 80's sounding production and what sounded like drum machines. Even the mediocre Very Greasy is more tolerable.

17. Deaf_in_ LA_1974

Deaf_in_ LA_1974 Forum Resident

I ordered a couple of Monotonixs cds, I open the package in car and start listening.

one was so bad, I tossed it out the window at some teenagers, so 15 minutes tops in my possession

18. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

Bought a c.d. of ELP's Tarkus at Tower Records back in '95. Within a couple of days, I returned it for store credit and got Dire Straits s/t instead. It took a couple of years to finally return to Tarkus, and I only really like the side with the title song.

Michael Rose likes this.
  19. Pim

Pim Forum Resident

I had Gratuitous Sax and Kimono for probably 5+ years because someone had recommended them to me. Didn't get them at the time. Now they're some of my favorite albums of all time and I've seen Sparks live probably 10 times or so.

InStepWithTheStars likes this.
  20. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Zillions of albums purchased at a thrift store or flea market that were brought right back after a few needle drops.

21. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

Can't think of anything.

22. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

Yes it was used. I was gonna get a reissue, but they were sold out at Amoeba, so I had to go store hunting for a used copy. The Lp also came with a post-it stating it was "as-is" so I test played it to make sure it was a good enough to gift it away.

RhodyDave125 likes this.
  23. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Everything I bought is still in my collection. No stinky record here... I hope.^^

Michael Rose likes this.
  24. Sebastian saglimbenI

Sebastian saglimbenI Forum Resident

Anything.....BJORK!!!Not my cup of tea.....imho!!!

25. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident Thread Starter

That was their "Grunge" record right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.