Music Stores in Detroit/Surrounding Area

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by luckett, Apr 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MBERGHAU

MBERGHAU New Member

I love Melodies and Memories for strictly browsing. There is a great ambience in that store and tons and tons of stuff to look at. Unfortunately their prices are not all that great and there is not much turnover in the used section (I tend to see the same CDs there every time I go).

2. MBERGHAU

MBERGHAU New Member

Great. Is it worth checking out?

Also Stormy Records on Michigan Ave at Schaefer (they recently moved to new location above green brain comics). They have a lot of indie stuff and a decent selection of vinyl, but small store overall.

3. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

A 2-minute drive from my apartment! They do have a great selection.. I just wish they'd be able to lower their prices a bit. But I do go to them now instead of buying everything online. It all depends on where it's cheaper and they've come up with the goods lately. Sadly, it's really the only record store in the area I know of (except for the other Dearborn Music in Canton.) I think "Record Time" in Ferndale is completely hopeless. I bought 2 LP's there once.. looked great but ended up with about 3 skips per song. I took it back and got a refund and one hell of an attitude as well.

That store totally blows. They didn't have a single CD by the Beatles, Stones, Pink Floyd, etc. you name it.. the last time I was there.

4. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Solo Records in Royal Oak is a decent place to shop. I've purchased maybe 40 records there over the past 6 months. They also sell used stereo components with a 7 day guarantee. I've gone through 2 turntables there in the past couple weeks, and they let me bring em back and plug them in and audition them.

From Solo, I just got a 2 eye Columbia BS&T Child is Father To The Man, 1-B both sides, a little crackly but only a buck.....

5. Manos

Manos Forum Resident

The aforementioned Detroit Metro Times article is here.

6. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

Does anyone know the real story of the FYE on Woodward near 12 mile that used to be Harmony House? It still looks like Harmony House. They claim to be independently owned, but have the FYE name. I don't get it. Is that even possible? :confused: Their selection is pretty decent.....the used section as well.

7. JeffN727

JeffN727 Forum Resident

Maybe they bought them out or something?
    The FYE here in Genesee Valley Mall used to be a Recordtown, and it's in the same location. They sell used CD's, but they mix them in with the new.
    They also still have a small section of cassettes!
    :cool:

8. RedWingfan

RedWingfan Forum Resident

Just returned from Rock-A-Billy's on M-59, tons of vinyl, used and new. Much bigger selection than he used to carry. Lots of overseas releases.
    Good luck!

9. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

In that back room area? I keep forgetting that place is there when I visit my Dad at Hall Rd. and Schoenherr! Goin' this week for sure.

10. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

How about an update on the detroit vinyl scene? I have a record dealer buddy up there now looking at buying a collection but it might not work out so he's looking to score enough to make the trip worthwhile. He's mainly into punk, powerpop, alternative/indie (esp. 90s), good classic rock, psyche, etc. Not too much on the soul end but he's willing to look. Vinyl only. Anyway if anyone has any leads or even good stores he can hit while he's there please let me know.

11. ellaguru

ellaguru Forum Resident

i was in pj's in ann arbor yesterday. dismissive dude behind the counter gave me grief about using a credit card and him being charged for the ability to accept them. consider that my last trip in there.

12. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

UHF in Royal Oak
    is mostly vinyl , new & used

http://www.uhfmusic.com/

13. GregK

GregK I'm speechless

More records for the rest of us then.....

14. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

+1

The brothers that own PJ's are among the nicest people I know.

15. ellaguru

ellaguru Forum Resident

^^ trust me, i was totally surprised by this behavior. i was told i couldnt use my credit card until i spent $15 or so..i was so punch drunk from the situation that i started looking in the bins so i could get what i actually came in to buy.

let me see, id wager ive spent a solid $50/ year for the past ~20 years that ive shopped
    there, with most trips being at least $50 spent each time. if they have issues with paying for the credit card service, then hide that charge in the merchandise's price. i bet thats what all retailers do.

either way it was poor customer service, and if they are so worried about the ~$1 (my guess) that they have to pay the credit card companies then its their loss. they need to worry about the $$$$ that i wont be spending in there.

im actually kinda sad about it all...

16. GregK

GregK I'm speechless

I agree, it's a hassle, and I've been burned by the same policy there and at Schoolkids while it still existed. I've since learned to bring cash with me. But I'd still support the local indies while we still have them, especially now that Encore may be coming to an end this August.

17. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

:goodie:
    This is great! I didn't know about this! A new place!!! Cool.:goodie:

18. beatlesfan68

beatlesfan68 Forum Resident

When did Rock-A-Billy's in Utica, MI close?? I recently bought a used Technics turntable to get into vinyl (again), and this music store is gone!! Am I stuck going to Melodies & Memories in Eastpointe??
    :shake:

Mike

19. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

Oh wow, I didn't know. Just tried their phone number.....disconnected. Too bad.

I think the owner is or was a member here.

Now with Borders and Rockabilly's both gone, I don't have much reason to go out to Hall Road anymore.....except to go to Grand Traverse Pie Company :D, but even they are selling their pies in some Kroger stores now.

20. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

I liked Rock-A-Billy's. Sorry to hear it's gone.

Melodies and Memories isn't bad, prices can be on the high side. The owner is a diehard Elvis and Motown collector, and has some really nice rarities.

Car City was still hanging on by a thread when I was there in December. Found plenty of good stuff in the 94-cent bins.

21. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

I passed by the now-closed Rock-A-Billy's on the way
    to see Bob Seger this past week and I was not surprised
    in the least to see it shuttered. When I was in there last
    fall I knew it was just a matter of time....

22. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Hitting Dearborn Music soon...

23. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

24. MBERGHAU

MBERGHAU New Member

Yes, I was just in there Saturday talking to the owner. He said he simply could not deal with the landlord anymore. I hope the move goes well. I'm a little wary when a longtime store moves to a new location. It you don't get the word out, people will drive by and simpliy think they went out of business. Dearborn Music is the last good record store in Detroit area that actually keeps the product up to date (always new "used" CDs and LPs coming in).

25. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

Gee, I have dreams like that, but usually I am just in my underwear.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.