Musicians in bands that dont get enough credit or accolades

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wombat Reynolds, Nov 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

EVH trying to downplay the guy who his son replaced...

2. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

True, but Hall only released two solo albums during the period when H&O were having hits. One was the purposely noncommercial "Sacred Songs" and the other, as you note, did have a hit single. While Oates did cowrite a lot of the hits, often that just meant he was one of three people (with Hall and Sara Allen) contributing lyrics.

Again, not denying Oates is talented, but I'd say H&O were more of a true duo in the pre-Voices years. And maybe on Voices itself, but I'd guess that the success of the Hall-led singles (and the flop of "How Does It Feel To Be Back") led to a re-think.

Szeppelin75 and erikdavid5000 like this.
  3. zelox

zelox Well-Known Member

Bass players.

4. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Probably almost any nationally known musician would qualify. I get the impression there are about 100 people who get to sit at the cool kids table, and then there's everyone else.

ohnothimagen and PhoffiFozz like this.
  5. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

He was also the best vocalist in the Springfield: and I mean 'best' in terms of having the most tuneful and conventionally attractive voice. Great writer, too; and, apparently, a nice guy.

6. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Pete Townshend - for his backing vocals. They never seem to get much attention, but they're perfect and an integral part of the Who's classic sound.

Mr. LP Collector likes this.
  7. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

Joey Santiago ~ Pixies

8. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Dennis Dunaway, who was more important musically and conceptually to Alice Cooper than most people realize. And who was and is a kickass, virtuoso bassist.

9. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

I think I posted on this subject on a different thread recently, but I think on a certain level (and I say this as an Oates fan) Oates' main purpose for Hall in their 80s peak period was his name. Radio, fans, non-fans... they knew and liked the 'Hall and Oates' name. They knew (in the 80s) what it represented, what it was all about, what to expect. When Daryl stepped out for his solo album in 1986, I think a lot of casual fans didn't follow him because it wasn't Hall and Oates. It's difficult to explain. I think I used the song "Foolish Pride" as an example; if that had John's harmonies and was credited as 'Daryl Hall and John Oates' I think it would have been a Top 10 hit (as Hall's follow up to "Dreamtime", it was a minor hit). In short, it's the value of a well known brand name. We see it a lot when an artist steps out of a band to make a solo album. Even if that album isn't too different from what he/she was doing in their band, it often doesn't do as well. People just seem to like the known and familiar, usually.

Nostaljack and Duke Fame like this.
  10. Andy Mackay in Roxy Music
    Steve Porcaro in Toto
    Terry Chambers in XTC
    Tony Hicks in the Hollies

veloso2, sekaer and AppleCorp3 like this.
  11. Mazda

Mazda The mystic one

Jerry Scheff (Doors [LA Woman], Elvis Presley)
    Ronnie Tutt (Elvis Presley)
    Dougie Thomson (Supertramp - check his sweet bass licks on Dreamer)
    John Helliwell (Supertramp)
    Bill Wyman (Stones)

stewedandkeefed likes this.
  12. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Timothy B. Schmit

13. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

Mick Harvey. Kept Nick Cave productive and alive during the early days.

Koabac likes this.
  14. Scooter59

Scooter59 Forum Resident

Was going to post Lifeson until I saw this rather amazing list. I saw Butler play live a couple years back and his playing was kinda jaw-dropping. The same for Downey with Lizzy / Black Riders a few years back. Lifeson has never topped the 'best of' polls like Peart and Lee and I just don't get it.

petem1966 and four sticks like this.
  15. Buddy>Elvis

Buddy>Elvis Senior Member

Andy Rourke of The Smiths

16. 905

905 Senior Member

On the forum, Mike Love. I got my fur up in that other thread because Mike gets put down. Hearing Good Vibrations as a child was the first time I was fascinated by a song.
    Apologies to Nostaljack, I was out of line.

17. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

They also dug the 'stache. LOL! Really. It was part of their identity.

Ed

erikdavid5000 likes this.
  18. Nostaljack

All good. I had a feeling you were taking it personally. Were someone to come after Donny Hathaway similarly, I would too. All is totally forgiven...:)

Ed

Crimson Witch and 905 like this.
  19. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

Andy Rourke and Mike Joyce from the Smiths.

20. Nostaljack

All day. He's a monster talent that was in a band with other monster talents and isn't thought of in the same breath at times

Ed

21. Zeroninety

Zeroninety Forum Resident

Hugh Grundy, from the Zombies. A *terrific* drummer.

Aurora and BadJack like this.
  22. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Kasim Sulton. A journeyman bassist who has been with Todd Rundgren throughout most of his various styles, was the bass on Bat Out of Hell (and became Meat Loaf's Musical Director for years), was in The New Cars and is currently with Blue Oyster Cult. He also plays keys and guitar, and has a beautiful high tenor voice:

utopiarun likes this.
  23. thebeatles67

thebeatles67 Forum Resident In Memoriam

Mike Campbell (Tom Petty/HB guitarist)

24. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Roy Hay (Guitarist) and Mikey Craig (BasS) in Culture Club. They make Colour By Numbers a rally great pop album.

25. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

John Weathers. He brought something totally different to the sound of Gentle Giant starting with Octopus.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.