Musty smell in room because of over 4,000 lp's...what to do?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by starkiller, Oct 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starkiller

starkiller Forum Resident Thread Starter

Was wondering if anyone uses an air purifier to help with the smell of LP's in a small room. With over 4,000 here in my small computer room the smell, while not terrible, is not great. Plus, I am wondering if the smell is contributing to a 24/7 headache I have had now for almost 5 years....thanks!

kendo and Fullbug like this.
  2. Exit Flagger

Exit Flagger Forum Resident

That old record smell is like magic. Unless you are talking about moldy records and then you have a problem.

3. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

Are you sure the smell is coming from the albums? You might need a de-humidifier rather as it would suggest damp. You might have dry rot or some other structural problem

jdrueke, stodgers, Shawn and 6 others like this.
  4. starkiller

starkiller Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yeah, coming from the lp's....have them in wooden crates and Ikea cabs so they are pretty stacked and packed...

5. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

24/7 headache....for years?

Get to a doctor, that's what to do. And get the room checked for mold, if you think it's related.

6. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Couldn't you just replace them all with CDs?:D

7. johnaltman

johnaltman Forum Resident

This would be my expert advice as well :p

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  8. Bobby Morrow

CDs are guaranteed odour free.

melstapler, vince and johnaltman like this.
  9. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Dehumidifier!

10. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Having them packed and stacked is probably not helping the situation. I would certainly check for mold.

bleachershane, stodgers and TonyCzar like this.
  11. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

Except Madonna's 'Like A Prayer'! :laugh:

12. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Sadly not. My Ocean Rain target still has a musty smell, although thankfully it has gone from a copy of Sade Promise.

13. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

Get a dehumidifier. I did when storing mine in a basement. Even if it wasn't necessary, i still bought one. I kept it at 45% or so. perhaps obsessive, but hey, i paid good money for these things! From what I have heard it can get rid of the smell too, just need o have it running continuously for a couple weeks.

It would suck, but I would check those LP's for mold if it worries you.

Tullman likes this.
  14. Bobby Morrow

I've never noticed it on CDs. I'll have to sniff my older discs.:)

15. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

It's very rare. Storing in a damp environment would do it, i.e., British houses in the 80s before central heating and double glazing became the norm.

16. Get 1-2 large bags of Charcoal, sit them in the room corners, hidden or not.

Consider Verilux UV Light Wand to kill bacteria/mold on each album as you take them out to play.
    Can also use it to pass over albums in bulk, will take some time to kill off everything.

alchemy and Plan9 like this.
  17. johnaltman

johnaltman Forum Resident

That's not a sentence you hear often

lightbulb, G E, forthlin and 10 others like this.
  18. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

I sometimes acquire records from OpShops which I later notice have a musty smell. The first thing I will do is to remove them from being located with my other records. If they have a plastic sleeve I will remove it and wash it inside and out. If the record sleeve is laminated I will give it a good wipe down. I will remove the record from the sleeve and the inner sleeve, then spray the sleeve (inside and out) with Glen 20 disinfectant spray, and leave to dry, with the sleeve in an open position (something put inside to keep it open). A hairdryer will make sure it's dry on the inside. If the inner sleeve is plastic it will be washed, if it is paper it will be sprayed and dried. The record will be washed. It results in a big improvement.

The internet suggests airing out rooms, and using baking soda and crushed volcanic rock to absorb musty smells.

alchemy likes this.
  19. heliocentric

heliocentric Forum Resident

cd's... perfect smell forever.

20. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

Open a window and throw some dryer sheets on the records.

21. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

smells like.......victory

JasonA, Ignatius and tages like this.
  22. stuwee

stuwee Forum Resident

It's probably not mold, most likely it is a decompostion of the cardboard covers, they tend to rot over time and absorb odors, some mold might be present since you live in the NW US. If you are serious about the headaches, please see a doctor soon, be safe! I live in the desert with a couple thousand more than you and only notice a slight smell of what I like to call 'ahhhh'!!!

zebop and dewiecox like this.
  23. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Are you absolutely certain it's your records? :laugh:

musicarus likes this.
  24. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

it might be one or two records that are the culprit, ive lived with lots more old albums in rooms and never had a problem but one musty album can really permeate a room

xilef regnu and Chemguy like this.
  25. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Definitely get some equipment in there to measure the humidity. That's the first step

Aftermath likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.