DCC Archive MXR Guitar Effects Pedals

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BeatleFred, Nov 17, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeatleFred

BeatleFred Senior Member Thread Starter

I noticed that the vintage pedals from the 70's are selling for good $$ on Ebay. Sometimes more than what they sold for new! I like those pedals myself- the green analog delay unit or the red Dyna Comp compressor- which I use myself when I'm practicing guitar. (Which reminds me- I might want to mention using a compressor when my neighbors teenage kid is practicing on his guitar- so that everything comes out smoothly at one volume level rather than my ears being subjected to this kid's fluctuating noise levels :) Anyway- just curious about the popularity & prices of the older effects pedals- is the circuitry inside these little units anything really intricate that for some reason the same new MXR models cant duplicate and people would rather have the older ones???

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

The new MXR pedals are just as good as the old ones. They sound the same to me.

Most brands of analog guitar pedals of today sound great

In fact, the new version of the "Small Stone" flanger sounds better than almost any old version.

Analog effects sound more like music than digital racks. I guess that's why guitar players still use analog boxes...

;)

3. Unknown

Unknown Guest

I never thought I'd see you say that.

The old 'script' font MXR pedals are very desireable. I don't know why. I think they were popularized a lot by guys like Eddie VH and Randy Rhoads in the late 70s/early 80s.

Steve, what do you think about the reissue Tube Screamers vs. the originals? I've heard the new ones aren't as good as the old ones. The original original was the TS808, right? I had the super-cheap TS5 once upon a time, and didn't like it.

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I haven't heard a Tube Screamer in years. When I want distortion like that, I just plug straight into my '59 Fender Tweed Vibrolux and turn it up... :D

5. Unknown

Unknown Guest

Do let me know when you have a yard sale after deciding you have too much clutter. :cool:

6. Dan

Dan Senior Member

I have quite a few MXR pedals;

script "Blue Box"
    Analog Delay
    Flanger
    Phase 45
    late 80's Phase 90 reissue

The new reissues do sound the same to my ears as well.

7. Ian

Ian Active Member

The reissue Tube Screamer is a knockoff of the TS9 which is THE one to have and the circuitry is identical. I have also toyed with the origial TS808 and thought that had a realy good grind as well. The TS5 "Soundtank" was a bargain version of the TS9 with a couple deviations to keep the price down. I thought it sounded ok but you needed a fresh battery to get the most out of it.
    Also owned a MXR Distortion+... Beastly little thing... Dropped in favor of a Chandler Tube Driver (find one of these if you can) could get a great tone with judicious knob manipulation. Stopped using pedals altogether (My wah wah gathers dust now) when I got my Marshall JCM 800 (Pedals? We don need no steenking Pedals!!!).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.