My Bloody Valentine Remaster Loveless, Isn't Anything

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turnaround, May 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vern

Vern Forum Resident

2. HappyCycler

HappyCycler Forum Resident

3. Vern

Vern Forum Resident

D'oh! Sorry to p!ss over your parade. :)

4. HappyCycler

It's cool, it deserves two separate posts, it's going to be that good! :)

5. Vern

Vern Forum Resident

Impatiently waiting for these! I hope the EPs also get a vinyl reissue.

Wonder if these will come out in 2017.

6. HappyCycler

I know right! As ever with anything MBV related, patience is the name of the game.

7. SisterRay

SisterRay Forum Resident

I've been listening to Loveless a lot with my new HD800 S. I've done a comparison between the Sire CD, 2 CD Remaster, and a TOWNHOUSE needledrop:

Sire CD - Sounds okay.

Digital tape CD Remaster - Very negligible difference between Sire CD. A little wider soundstage. Louder

Analog tape CD Remaster - I found the bass frequencies much nicer than CD 1. Overall, my favorite, explained below...

UK Vinyl - At first this one was the winner because I thought I could hear more layering in the vocals or guitars. But perhaps I liked it more because it seemed slightly sped up. But after comparing with the analog tape remaster, it seemed to be lacking something. The CD had filled missing frequencies in much of the same way that I felt the 2014 mono Bealtes remasters improved over the original UK mono vinyl.

I'm sure this analog pressing will be the best of all, especially since it's being cut as the same person who cut the 2014 Beatles boxset.

jamesc likes this.
  8. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

One can hope these are still a possibility :(

9. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

MOFI 1-Step of Loveless would be momentous.

Arkay_East likes this.
  10. SisterRay

SisterRay Forum Resident

Posting here in case others haven't seen this:

Kevin Shields - norður og niður

Kevin's apparently playing a festival curated by Sigur Ros.

Description says "kevin is currently finishing an all analog vinyl version of loveless and isn’t anything and is also working on material for a new my bloody valentine album to be released in 2018."

Perhaps it's kind of pointless posting news at this point, but I have a good feeling about this news.

11. HappyCycler

Definitely not pointless to post this news, thank you for doing so. I am happy to know they are still going ahead and Kevin is making sure he is completely happy with them before release. Both of these albums deserve a good release, and if the mbv pressing is anything to go by I am more than happy to wait.

jamesc likes this.
  12. SisterRay

SisterRay Forum Resident

13. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

Sounds like their collection of original analog tapes are incomplete or damaged. Or maybe they liked a noodley bit for track two rhythm guitar but it was only caught on DAT between takes.

14. HappyCycler

This is going to be special.

Ryan_Pretzel likes this.
  15. Black Stripes

Black Stripes Forum Resident

You might want to read about it here:

"The original Loveless was from a digital master because it was much closer to the picture I wanted, and, at the time, the analog one was slightly twisted-- the process of putting it onto tape widened the stereo image and made the top and bottom ends too loud, so the guitar placement wasn't correct. I wasn't happy with that and I didn't use the original half-inch analog tapes. But, this time around, I had the time to take the original analog tapes and fix all the things I didn't like, so all I left was essentially the benefits of the analog with none of the disadvantages."
    Pitchfork

"So you'd do it all in analog and then fly it over to digital and marry them together?
    Yeah, yeah."
    TapeOp

16. Black Stripes

Black Stripes Forum Resident

I dug up another interview I find quite interesting, particularly the part about the track "Soon". I would assume the vinyl reissues are going to have the 2007 version of it?

"Yeah, that's right. There's only one guitar on the EP version of 'Soon', but on the album version there's another one overlaid. Actually, on the two versions of Loveless which exist, the original and the remaster, the 'Soon's are completely different. I had to remake it in 2007 – it's the original mix but there's this guitar layered on top, which I had to do again, and it's almost impossible to do. Much easier this time around because technology has improved, but it still took a few days because the guitar just didn't want to sit on top. If someone listens to them on headphones, you're going to notice a huge difference between the old version and the new, especially when it goes into the vocal part. So there are actually three versions of 'Soon'. But it's all about that guitar track."
    The Quietus

polchik, Soundslave and senseabove like this.
  17. marigoldilemma

marigoldilemma Forum Resident

Will these be in record shops?

polchik likes this.
  18. jamesc likes this.
  19. HappyCycler

I'm surprised there's not more excitement for this? I mean, this is an audiophile forum! Have you guys heard how beautiful mbv sounds? Imagine IA and Loveless with the same treatment! I'm so excited to hear them.

20. Kevin's laziness has a way of cooling the ardour of even the most devout fan. Not only does he not strike while the iron is hot, he waits for it to cool and start to rust.

21. HappyCycler

That made me laugh :D

22. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

I'd given up on ever seeing decent vinyl reissues of these albums, so to me it's a pleasant surprise. Hopefully they're worth the wait.

23. Vern

Vern Forum Resident

Wonder if he’ll also give the EP compilation similar treatment.

24. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

25. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

me, too-Loveless is one of my "Top 20"-both the closest thing to perfect representation of the genre AND defies classification because of its excellence.

AlienRendel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.