My first Bose purchase

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Nate, Jul 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nate

Nate Forum Resident Thread Starter

Well now I used the earbuds on several flights. Damn- they work well! Definitely made the trips more than enjoyable

LivingForever and Tim 2 like this.
  2. judge56988

judge56988 New Member

I spend up to 6 months a year living in hotel rooms and would be lost without these:

[​IMG]

There is nothing (that I've heard) as small, light and as easily transportable that sounds anything like as good. USB from laptop through ODAC to the speakers. My HD650's are better (but then they ought to be!) but often headphone listening is just not what I want to do.

4stringking73 likes this.
  3. Murphy13

Murphy13 Forum Resident

I'm actually surprised one of the TV makers has not released a a flat screen with BOSE speakers or soundbar built in. Maybe they have. I think that would be a good advertising feature for the masses

4. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

Doesnt BOSE make a tv with BOSE speakers? I swear I've seen such a thing in their mall stores.

5. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Haven't looked in a while but they did at one point. About $5,400 IIRC. Equal parts convenience and competence, but low value for the $$$.

6. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

Thanks- Knew I'd seen it, knew there was a reason i didn't much care when i did! :D

7. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

It has automatic volume control that adjusts with the speed I'm driving.

Gary likes this.
  8. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

I like their wave radio/CD player system with multiple disc add-on. I bought them as refurb. units and use them as casual listening system. With certain music( classical orchestral and chamber) folk and light rock they sound great. The bass can be a little wooly so use the back wall sparingly. They are well built and easy to use. My wife has one of their blue tooth speakers and it is excellent but somewhat pricey. It is also easy to use and handles high volume very well.

9. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I've heard the Bose and I've heard what Focal offers at the same price. I much preferred the Focals and also the Audio Engine A2+. They are admittedly a little harder to try out before buying though.

[​IMG]

10. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I have Bose in a car and two bedrooms. I really want to try the 901 someday.

11. judge56988

judge56988 New Member

Like I said:
    There is nothing (that I've heard) as small, light and as easily transportable that sounds anything like as good.
    The Focals weigh 5kg and are at least 6 times the volume.

12. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

You're right...I didn't realize they were 11lbs. I'm mixing up the sizes with the much smaller Focals that require a sub and are twice as expensive.

13. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

Riva.

14. judge56988

judge56988 New Member

What does that mean?
    OK - Googled it now. Looks interesting but never heard of them.

15. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I had those Bose powered speakers for a day or two before I returned them. I thought they were awful. Wonder how your fellow hotel guests like yours?

16. judge56988

judge56988 New Member

Whatever floats your boat.
    I don't use them late at night and I don't turn the volume up too much. I've never had any complaints, I'm a considerate sort of bloke.
    What's with the sarcastic comment anyway? Any need for that? Doesn't really make you look clever.

17. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I had a step of Bose Roommate powered speakers for years and my sis still uses them for tailgating. I figure today I should get them back and clean them up a bit as they were the Apple Special edition that went with the release of the //GS

[​IMG]

dharmabumstead likes this.
  18. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I'm not a huge Bose fan but some of their small speakers are alright (if expensive).

TDK of all outfits makes some nice-sounding, inexpensive Bluetooth speakers, but I'm not sure about the quality. Still, they're about half the price of comparable models from Bose, so...

19. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Once had a pair of 301 Series II that I liked. Currently have Companion 2 Series III on my desktop; they're OK for what they are, but I don't use them for any serious listening.

20. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I've had a Bose Wave CD player/radio unit for about 7 or 8 years that I've been very happy with. It sounds great, looks nice, and it's very easy to set up and use. Yes, it cost me a little more, but I think it was absolutely worth it.

coffeetime likes this.
  21. slowhand1964

slowhand1964 A Tadpole in a Jar

Re:901s: You will be pleasantly surprised. Picked up a pair w/eq at the salvation army for a lark ($25 US :). Fed them with a pioneer sx-850, and they rocked to the point they became my main speakers. Hit the goodwills and craigs list, they can be had cheap. Get the VI series or V. The IV and III suffered from foam rot, however Bose will rebuild them. A lot of haters of the 901, but they truly fill a BIG room with engaging sound, but you got to feed them watts.

RonW likes this.
  22. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

Fixed!

I own a cd Walkman Bose CD player, and those noise cancel headmuffs also. Not bad. They had a sale, and I had some money to waste, wtf, why not! They sound pretty good.

23. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

We still use ours to wake up to everyday since new. I believe we got it in the '80s. We traded credit card points for it. :)

24. dharmabumstead

dharmabumstead Forum Resident

Great point. I don't understand all the Bose hate. They serve their market quite well.

I've got three Bose products: QC 1.5 headphones (great for travel), a set of 2.1 powered computer speakers for a gaming PC, and an older rechargeable Bose Sounddock II portable speaker (given a new lease on life with an add-on Bluetooth dongle) that we take on vacation with us. In my experience, all of these things sound reasonably good (maybe great, for the form factor), are thoughtfully designed and well-built, and just work.

25. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Glad you're enjoying the QC20's: Originally wouldn't touch Bose headphones until I got a pair of Bose IE's as a long service award at work. Was utterly sold on them but still had the problem of having to raise the volume in order to drown out environmental sound (office noise at work, wife & son watching TV at home). Wound up buying a pair of QC20i on the basis of how much I liked the sound of the non-noise cancelling IE's. Loved them but wound up getting recurring ear infections due to how much I used them and in spite of keeping them as sterile as possible.

So last month 'upgraded' to a pair of around ear QC25i after half an hour of obsessively playing everything on my phone via a Bose instore demo station. Not had an ear problem since, the noise cancellation is as good as the QC20i and the sound is just great to say nothing of the physical comfort. Listening to early mix Dark Side from the DSOTM Immersion set on them as I'm writing this and I'm just involved and in there, despite the roar of conversation and keyboards going on around me.

Whilst I'm not a particular fan of their home cinema products, their personal audio has me recommending them unreservedly for sound quality and not having to crank the volume to compete with environmental noise. Safe to say most people that balk at the cost aren't really the target audience for these things.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.